This White Bean Mushroom Soup is super easy to make, comforting, and satisfying. Made with fresh vegetables and pantry staples, this is an easy vegan soup packed with plant-based protein and lots of flavors.
Cozy Vegan Soup Recipes are a great comfort food during cold months.
This easy vegan mushroom and bean soup is amazing on chilly days. Made with aromatics like garlic and onions, this soup smells just as good as it tastes!
Made in just over 30 minutes with mostly easy pantry staples like canned beans, it's one of the best vegan mushroom recipes and is perfect for making on a weekday night.
The mushrooms add plenty of delicious flavors and the beans make this soup full of protein and filling.
While I recommend using homemade vegetable broth, you can substitute it with pre-made vegetable broth if needed.
Add a salad, some bread for dipping, and a mug of hot cocoa, and this white bean mushroom soup is the perfect fall and winter lunch or dinner.
If you're looking for fun and healthy vegan Cannellini Beans recipes, this Bean And Mushroom Soup is exactly what you need.
- olive oil
- garlic – crushed
- large onion – finely diced. Use a yellow or white onion. For more flavor, you can use 3 shallots.
- portobello mushrooms – thinly sliced. Shiitake mushrooms will also be a great choice, or you can use porcini.
- vegetable broth – preferably homemade, but premade will work, too
- cannellini beans – rinsed and drained. Great Northern, pinto, or navy beans work great, too.
- sprigs of fresh thyme – or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- red pepper flakes
1. Cook the garlic and onion
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the garlic and cook on medium heat for one minute.
Discard the garlic and add the onion to the same pot. Sauté for 7 minutes.
2. Cook the mushrooms
Add the mushrooms to the onions and cook until all the liquid evaporates.
3. Make the soup
Add the broth, beans, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the soup for 15 minutes. Remove the thyme from the pot.
4. Puree the soup
Take 1-2 ladles full from the pot and puree in a blender.
Transfer the pureed soup back into the pot and adjust the seasoning if needed. If the soup is too thick, add another cup of broth and bring the soup to a boil, then remove it from the heat.
If you have dried porcini mushrooms, soak them in water for 30 minutes. Then use this mushroom soaking water in addition to vegetable broth.
Storage and Reheating
The soup tastes best on the first day, but if you have leftovers, make sure to refrigerate the soup within 2 hours. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop and consume on the next day at the latest.
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
🍲 Similar Recipes
White Bean Mushroom Soup
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add garlic and cook on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Discard garlic and add onion to the same pot. Sauté for 7 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 7-10 minutes until all liquid evaporates.
- Add 4 cups of broth, beans, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and cook soup for 15 minutes.
- Remove the thyme from the pot. Take 1-2 ladles full from the pot and puree in a blender.
- Transfer pureed soup back into the pot and adjust the seasoning if needed. If the soup is too thick, add another 1 cup of broth and bring soup to a boil, then remove from the heat.
Iryna Bychkiv is the founder and writer of the culinary website Lavender & Macarons, where she shares clean, European-inspired recipes that are delicious, easy to prepare, and made with wholesome ingredients. Iryna loves creating meals that are simple yet healthy and unique, including vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Iryna is also a freelance writer for MSN and Associated Press Wire.