This White Bean Mushroom Soup is super easy to make, comforting and satisfying. Made with fresh vegetables and pantry staples, this is an easy vegan soup packed with plant-based protein and lots of flavor.
This easy vegan mushroom and bean soup is amazing on chilly days. Made with aromatics like garlic and onions, this soup smells just as good as it tastes!
Made in just over 30 minutes with mostly easy pantry staples like canned beans, it's perfect for making on a weekday night. The mushrooms add plenty of delicious flavor and the beans make this soup full of protein and filling.
While I recommend using a homemade vegetable broth, you can substitute it with premade vegetable broth if needed. Add a salad, some bread for dipping, and a mug of hot cocoa, and this white bean mushroom soup is the perfect fall and winter lunch or dinner.
garlic – crushed
large onion – finely diced. Use a yellow or white onion. For more flavor, you can use 3 shallots.
portobello mushrooms – thinly sliced. Shiitake mushrooms will also be a great choice, or you can use porcini.
vegetable broth – preferably homemade, but premade will work, too
cannellini beans – rinsed and drained. Great Northern, pinto, or navy beans work great, too.
sprigs of fresh thyme – or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
red pepper flakes
1. Cook the garlic and onion
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the garlic and cook on medium heat for one minute.
Discard the garlic and add the onion to the same pot. Sauté for 7 minutes.
2. Cook the mushrooms
Add the mushrooms to the onions and cook until all the liquid evaporates.
3. Make the soup
Add the broth, beans, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook the soup for 15 minutes. Remove the thyme from the pot.
4. Puree the soup
Take 1-2 ladles full from the pot and puree in a blender.
Transfer the pureed soup back into the pot and adjust the seasoning if needed. If the soup is too thick, add another cup of broth and bring soup to a boil, then remove from the heat.
📖 Recipe Variations
If you have dried porcini mushrooms, soak them in water for 30 minutes. Then use this mushroom soaking water in addition to vegetable broth.
♨️ Storage and Reheating
Soup tastes best on the first day, but if you have leftovers, make sure to refrigerate the soup within 2 hours. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop and consume on the next day at the latest.
🍲 Similar Recipes
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add garlic and cook on medium heat for 1 minute.
- Discard garlic and add onion to the same pot. Sauté for 7 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 7-10 minutes until all liquid evaporates.
- Add 4 cups of broth, beans, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and cook soup for 15 minutes.
- Remove the thyme from the pot. Take 1-2 ladles full from the pot and puree in a blender.
- Transfer pureed soup back into the pot and adjust the seasoning if needed. If the soup is too thick, add another 1 cup of broth and bring soup to a boil, then remove from the heat.