Soft and moist, this Vegan Cornbread recipe is the perfect side dish for soups, stews and vegan Chili. Made with cornmeal, plant milk and a touch of sweetness, this easy cornbread is a classic Southern dish.
– ▢¾ c all-purpose flour
– ▢1 ½ c yellow cornmeal
– ▢½ teaspoon baking soda
– ▢1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
– ▢1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
– ▢¼ teaspoon salt
– ▢½ c applesauce unsweetened
– ▢1 ⅓ c plant-based milk
– ▢7 tablespoon vegan butter
1. Mix dry ingredients. In a big bowl add flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt. Mix to combine.
2. Mix wet ingredients. In another big bowl whisk applesauce, plant-based milk and melted vegan butter.
3. Combine the ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix with a whisk until the batter is smooth and without lumps.
4. Preheat your cast iron for the cornbread. Place a 9-inch cast iron pan on a medium heat for at least 5-7 minutes. Melt 1 tablespoon of vegan butter and make sure it coats the pan evenly including the sides. You can replace butter with cooking olive oil.
5. Bake the corn bread. Quickly pour the batter into a hot skillet, place it into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
6.. Let the cornbread cool. Remove the cornbread from the oven and let the skillet cool for at least 15 minutes or until it's no longer hot to the touch. Place a plate over a pan with vegan cornbread and flip it. The cornbread will invert on to a plate. Let it cool completely, slice and serve.
Serve this vegan cornbread with some vegan butter and Maple syrup if desired.
Swedish Limpa Bread
2-Hour No-Knead Bread
Vegan Oatmeal Bread