These unique eggless Semolina Cookies are a healthier version of the traditional Moroccan cookies that you'll find all over Morocco. They make a perfect accompaniment to a cup of mint tea or coffee.
– 1 c almond flour
– ¾ c semolina flour
– 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– ½ c organic cane sugar
– 1 teaspoon lemon zest
– ¼ c applesauce
– 2 tablespoon neutral oil
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon lemon extract or increase the lemon zest by 1 teaspoon
– ¼ c powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a large baking sheet with a parchment paper. In a medium bowl combine almond flour, semolina flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In a large bowl add cane organic sugar, lemon zest and rub ingredients together for a minute until sugar is fragrant.
3. To a bowl with sugar add applesauce and beat with electric mixer for 1 minute. Beat in vanilla and lemon extract (if using). Add oil and slowly add in half of the dry ingredients. Continue beating on low until all dry ingredients are incorporated. The dough will be thick and slightly crumbly.
4. In a shallow bowl add powdered sugar and set aside. Scoop a heaping teaspoon of dough and roll it with your fingers into a firm ball. Roll in powdered sugar, place on a baking sheet and lightly press in a center of a cookie with your thumb.
5. Scoop a heaping teaspoon of dough and roll it with your fingers into a firm ball. Roll in powdered sugar, place on a baking sheet and lightly press in a center of a cookie with your thumb. Transfer to the wire rack to cool.
6. Once the cookies are cool, you can sprinkle them with some more powdered sugar and top with lemon zest.