One of the easiest recipes of Mediterranean cuisine… Chicken Riganati or Greek Lemon Roasted Chicken is juicy, tender and requires just a handful of ingredients. Prepare it for a weeknight dinner or for a special occasion. You’ll love the lemon and oregano flavor of the dish and the easiness of putting it together.
Recipe For Greek Lemon Chicken
My idea of a perfect weeknight dinner is one that doesn’t require me to spend hours in the kitchen. Moreover, lately I’ve been on a “mission” to finish with the dinner prep as well as main daily blogging tasks before 3 pm.
My older daughter goes to preschool and I love being able to pick her up earlier so that we all can have a quality mom-daughters time before the bedtime.
When it comes to cooking, my chicken recipes always include a whole lot of spices. My pantry is literally overloaded and I would usually incorporate at least 5 different spices into my regular chicken recipe. So, when I made Chicken Riganati or Kota Riganati, I was pleasantly impressed with how so little ingredients can produce such a delicious and succulent meal.
Greek food as a part of the Mediterranean Diet is by default considered one of the tastiest in the world. The simplicity and the abundance of vegetables in the recipes’ ingredients make it one of the healthiest cuisines.
What’s interesting is that without realising this, Mediterranean food is the one we tend to order the most often for take out. I can’t get enough of it and their garlic sauce is one of its kind!
And when it’s summer and hot outside, there’s no salad recipe that I make more often than Greek Chicken Panzanella. Super flavorful and my family loves it!
Back to our Greek Lemon Roasted Chicken. The recipe comes together super quickly. Your oven will do the rest of the job.
Make sure you use a freshly squeezed lemon juice and if possible Greek or Mediterranean Oregano, which tends to have the most earthy and savory flavor.
To prepare the recipe, drizzle chicken with olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Then, rub it with oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Pop it in the oven and wait for the magic to happen. Juicy, flavorful and delicious chicken is calling your name.
This Greek Lemon Chicken is one flavorful meal that will cheer you up after a long day.
More simple Mediterranean recipe
- Bulgur Tabbouleh With Grilled Veggies – easy and healthy side dish or vegetarian dinner;
- Quinoa Fritters With Zucchini And Feta – reader’s favorite recipe approved by meat eaters;
- Pea Fritters Cakes – easy, healthy and delicious for lunch or dinner.
Let me know in the comment section below if you love Greek food and what is your favorite recipe?
If you make Chicken Riganati, don’t forget to snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons. I’d love to see your creations.
I’d love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on:
Greek Chicken Riganati (Kota Riganati)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Rinse the drumsticks, pat dry and place it in a medium baking pan.**
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl combine oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and rub it into a chicken.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180 F on an instant-read thermometer. Flip the chicken halfway and baste it a 4-5 times during baking***
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with Kalamata olives and Feta cheese.
- Serve with roasted or mashed potatoes, pasta or steamed rice.
**I used 1.25 qt rectangular baking dish.
***If you want your chicken to have an extra crispy skin, turn on a broiler and broil it for a few minutes keeping an eye on it at all times.