This Vegan Mushroom Chili is inspired by my Award-Winning Chili Recipe. Hearty mushrooms make a wonderful substitution for meat. With an easy secret step to give this chili the perfect texture, this recipe is extremely flavorful and great for cozy fall and winter dinners.
Perfectly seasoned and loaded with veggies, this vegan mushroom chili is absolutely delicious.
This ultimate vegan chili is tomato-y and full of spices like warm cayenne and chili peppers, earthy oregano and cumin, smoked paprika, and a dash of maple syrup for sweetness.
Mushrooms help give this chili plenty of flavor, as well giving it a chunky, meaty texture. Even meat eaters will fall in love with this recipe!
The trick to making the texture perfect for this vegan chili is pulsing the mushrooms through a food processor.
If you don’t have a food processor, make sure to dice them very, very well with a sharp knife.
- mushrooms – use portobello or button mushrooms. If you can’t find either, cremini will work
- olive oil – you can also use more vegetable broth
- onion – use a white or yellow onion
- green bell pepper – the least ripe color of bell pepper, green bell peppers have a crisp, slightly bitter flavor
- red bell pepper – the sweetest, ripest color of bell peppers
- diced tomatoes
- kidney beans
- tomato paste
- vegetable broth – homemade or store-bought
- spices – chili powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, oregano, ground cumin
- sweetener – maple syrup
1. Prepare the mushrooms
Using a damp paper towel, wipe the caps of mushrooms. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each stem. Slice mushrooms in half and add them to a food processor. Working in batches, pulse mushrooms 7-10 times until they resemble ground “meat”.
2. Cook the veggies
Heat some olive oil in a large dutch oven or pot. Add the ground mushrooms and cook while stirring occasionally until all the liquid evaporates. Transfer the sautéed mushrooms to a bowl.
Add the rest of the olive oil, onion, garlic and both peppers to the same pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Pour in the diced tomatoes and beans into the pot with an onion and pepper mixture.
3. Combine everything & serve
Dilute the tomato paste with a cup of vegetable broth and add to pot. Add the spices, maple syrup, the rest of the broth and salt to the pot, as well as the cooked mushrooms.
Give everything a good stir, then cover with a lid and reduce the heat. If the soup becomes too thick, add a little more broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve with sliced avocado, vegan sour cream and/or vegan mozzarella.
🍲 Similar Recipes
- Hungarian Style Mushroom Soup
- Butternut Squash Coconut Soup
- White Bean And Mushroom Soup
- Healthy Dill Pickle Soup
Vegan Mushroom Chili