Dandelion Greens Salad With Couscous is a delicious and nutritious dish that can be served as a side meal or hearty main dish. It’s easy to make, healthy and yummy.
When spinach and arugula salads become boring, enter Dandelion Greens Salad.
Super healthy and delicious salad that pairs wonderfully with couscous and makes it a balanced meal for the whole family.
When I was growing up in Ukraine, dandelions were never considered a food item. So after I moved to the US and saw Whole Foods selling dandelion greens, I was excited to give them a try.
After all, most greens are healthy and I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate them in my diet.
How does Dandelion taste?
If you’ve never tried Dandelion, you may be wondering how does it taste.
Dandelion is a part of Sunflower family. Green Dandelion leaves are edible and they have a slight bitter taste. To me, they resemble Radicchio, which has a very similar taste but its texture is more crunchy.
To balance the bitterness of Dandelion Greens, I paired them with neutral couscous, crunch from other veggies and a simple avocado-yogurt dressing.
This healthy Dandelion Salad is hearty and nutritions.
Dandelion is an excellent source of Vitamins such as A, C and K. In combination with other vegetables that go into this recipe, this salad will supply you with a mighty dose of important nutrients to get you through the day.
This Dandelion Greens Salad Recipe can be prepared ahead of time.
Avocado-yogurt dressing as well as cooked couscous will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator. Torn Dandelion leaves as well as cucumber and bell pepper can be chopped in advance too and stored separately in a refrigarator.
When you’re ready to serve the salad, just combine and ingredients and enjoy.
Dandelion Greens Salad With Couscous
- 1 ¼ c water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c couscous
- 1 bunch (about 4 cups) Dandelion greens washed
- 2 ripe avocado
- 2 cloves garlic pushed through a garlic press
- 6 tbsp almond yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ English cucumber julienned or diced
- 1 red bell pepper julienned or diced
- 4 green onion finely chopped
- salt, pepper to taste
- In a medium pot combine water, olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil, add stir in couscous, close the lid and remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl mash the avocado, add garlic, yogurt, 1 tbsp vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Mix the dressing until smooth and creamy. You may wish to stir in the remaining 1 tbsp of vinegar.
- Pull the dandelion leaves off from the tough stems and discard the stems. Use a knife to chop the leaves into bite-size pieces. Transfer the dandelion to a big salad bowl.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and add it to a bowl with dandelion greens along with cucumber, bell pepper and green onion.
- Pour the avocado dressing over the salad. Toss until the salad is coated with dressing. Serve immediately.