Nothing says fall like a delicious, freshly baked pumpkin bread, and this recipe for vegan pumpkin bread is about to become your new favorite! With some simple plant-based ingredients, you’ll end up with the most moist, delicious, and comforting vegan pumpkin bread you’ve ever had!
Vegan pumpkin bread is a delicious baked good that's both comforting and satisfying. What’s best is that it’s a great way to incorporate the flavors of the season into your everyday meals! Whether you're a seasoned vegan or just enjoy trying new recipes, this bread is a must-try.
This recipe will give you deliciously moist, flavorful bread that has just the right amount of pumpkin flavor in it. I just love that it’s also vegan but doesn’t compromise on flavor at all. The pumpkin seeds on top look extra stunning and bring everything together for a bread that’ll look beautiful on any holiday table.
- What is a Vegan Pumpkin Bread?
- Why This Is The Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- What You Need to Make Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- How to Make Vegan Pumpkin Bread (Step by Step)
- Tips For Making the Best Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
And if you’re in the mood to try more vegan pumpkin recipes this fall, you will absolutely love these vegan pumpkin cookies, pumpkin pasta, and vegan pumpkin sugar cookies! Bake them all today and share them with your friends and family for some tasty delicious pumpkin treats everyone can enjoy!
Read on to learn exactly how to make this delicious vegan pumpkin bread recipe today!
What is a Vegan Pumpkin Bread?
Vegan pumpkin bread is a deliciously moist and flavorful treat that is perfect for the fall season. This vegan pumpkin bread recipe is flavored with simple ingredients like canned pumpkin puree and warm spices for beautifully balanced flavors.
This bread is truly a great way to enjoy the taste of pumpkin in a sweet, comforting bread that is entirely plant-based. No one will even be able to guess that it’s vegan! The applesauce gives a beautiful moist texture and flavor without using any eggs. And I’m sure you already have all the other ingredients in your vegan pantry!
Making vegan pumpkin bread at home is a great way to add a touch of sweetness to your day. The flavors of pumpkin, spices, and the added crunch from the pumpkin seeds create a taste that is both comforting and delicious. It's the perfect bread to enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee, or as a sweet treat any time of the day.
Why This Is The Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Vegan: This recipe uses no animal products, making it perfect for those following a vegan diet. It uses almond milk and avocado oil instead of dairy, and the result is just as delicious.
Family favorite: Everyone in the family is bound to love this bread! The pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and nutmeg create a flavor that's loved by all ages. Whether it is for breakfast or a snack, this bread is sure to become a new family favorite.
Versatile: This recipe allows for versatility. Feel free to add raisins or swap them for something else like cranberries or chocolate chips. You can also sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top before baking for added texture like I’ve done here!
Crowd Pleaser: Whether you're hosting a brunch, taking a dish to a potluck, or simply sharing with friends, this vegan pumpkin bread is a surefire crowd-pleaser. Its warm, comforting flavors are universally loved.
What You Need to Make Vegan Pumpkin Bread
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this delicious eggless pumpkin bread recipe at home.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
Canned Pumpkin Puree: This is the star of our vegan pumpkin bread recipe. It gives the bread its distinct pumpkin flavor and moist texture.
Applesauce: Applesauce acts as a healthier substitute for oil or butter in this recipe, helping to keep the bread moist without adding extra fat.
Avocado Oil: This is a great source of healthy fats and gives the bread a subtle, creamy taste.
Almond Milk: Almond milk is the main liquid in this recipe. It’s a great non-dairy milk that also adds a slightly nutty flavor to the bread.
Vanilla Extract: This adds a sweet, creamy aroma to your vegan pumpkin bread, enhancing its overall flavor.
Unbleached All-Purpose Flour: This is the foundation of your bread and will give it the right structure and texture.
Baking Powder: This is one of the two leavening agents in this recipe that make the bread rise and become fluffy.
Baking Soda: It works with the baking powder to help the bread rise, and also helps to brown our pumpkin bread.
Ground Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger, and Cardamom: These spices add a warm, comforting flavor to the bread, making it perfect for fall.
Salt: Salt enhances the flavors of the other ingredients in the bread.
Cane Sugar: This sweetens the bread and helps to balance out the savory flavors.
Raisins: These are optional, but they add a sweet, chewy texture to the bread that complements the soft, moist crumb.
Pumpkin Seeds: These are for topping the bread. They add a nice crunch and an extra boost of pumpkin flavor.
How to Make Vegan Pumpkin Bread (Step by Step)
Making this incredible vegan pumpkin bread recipe at home is super easy and will give you great results every single time. Here's how to make it step by step:
How to Make Pumpkin Bread Batter
- Preheat the Oven and Prep the Loaf Pan: Start by preheating your oven to a temperature of 355 F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. To make sure the paper doesn’t slide, you can spray the sides of the pan with a bit of cooking spray.
- Combine Wet Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, applesauce, avocado oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add and Dissolve Sugar: Add your preferred sugar to the wet ingredients and whisk again until the sugar is fully dissolved and incorporated into the mixture.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, salt, and sugar. Make sure to whisk these ingredients together until they're well mixed.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: Slowly add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Stir until the batter is smooth, but remember not to overmix to maintain the right texture of the bread.
- Add Raisins: Now, gently fold the raisins into the batter. A light hand is key here to avoid overmixing.
How to Bake Pumpkin Bread
- Pour Batter and Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds, and bake for about 55 minutes. You can check if the bread is done by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, your bread is ready. If not, bake for another five minutes and check again.
- Cool and Serve the Bread: After removing the pumpkin bread from the oven, let it cool in the loaf pan for a couple of minutes. Then, transfer the bread to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely. This will make it easier to slice and serve. Enjoy your homemade vegan pumpkin bread!
Tips For Making the Best Vegan Pumpkin Bread
Prep your loaf pan correctly: Lining your loaf pan with parchment paper and spraying the sides with cooking spray will prevent your vegan pumpkin bread from sticking to the pan. This way, you can remove the bread easily after baking.
Whisk wet ingredients first: Start by whisking your wet ingredients - the pumpkin puree, applesauce, avocado oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract. This will guarantee a smooth, even distribution of all these ingredients throughout your batter.
Dissolve the sugar: Adding sugar to your wet ingredients and whisking until it dissolves will help make sure that your eggless pumpkin bread has a sweet, even flavor.
Mix dry ingredients separately: Mixing your dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices - in a separate bowl will help to distribute these evenly throughout your batter. This prevents clumps and helps your bread rise evenly.
Don't overmix the batter: Overmixing your batter can lead to a tough, dense bread. Mix until your dry and wet ingredients are just combined. This will give you a lighter, fluffier texture.
Add extras at the end: If you want to add any optional ingredients like raisins, fold them into the batter at the end. This will make sure that they’re evenly distributed without overmixing.
Check for doneness: To check if your bread is done, insert a toothpick into the middle of your bread. If it comes out clean, your bread is baked. If not, give it a few more minutes in the oven.
- Enjoy a slice of this no egg pumpkin bread for breakfast, topped with a dollop of almond butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. It is a delicious way to kickstart your day with a burst of flavors.
- Looking for a dessert idea? Serve a slice of this vegan pumpkin bread with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. It is a heavenly combination that will surely satisfy your sweet tooth.
- For a festive twist, spread some cranberry sauce on a slice of this bread. The tartness of the cranberries provides a delicious contrast to the sweet and spiced pumpkin bread.
- This vegan pumpkin bread can also be a great addition to your holiday table. Serve it as a side with your main course or as a dessert with a warm mug of almond milk spiced with a hint of nutmeg and cinnamon.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Pumpkin Bread
This delicious eggless pumpkin bread recipe is so flavorful and easy to make you'll want to try out some of these delicious variations! Here are some great ideas:
- Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Bread: If you have a sweet tooth, consider adding a half cup of vegan chocolate chips to the batter. The chocolate will melt during baking, creating sweet pockets of chocolate throughout the bread.
- Cranberry Pumpkin Bread: For a tangy twist, add a half cup of dried cranberries to the batter. The tartness of the cranberries will balance the sweet and spicy flavors of the pumpkin bread that’s perfect for fall!
- Pecan Pumpkin Bread: Consider adding some pecans to your batter for a delicious vegan pecan pumpkin bread! The nuts will add a delicious crunch and a new layer of flavor to your bread!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can substitute canned pumpkin puree with fresh homemade pumpkin puree or squash puree.
Yes, you can. While this recipe calls for unbleached all-purpose flour, you can substitute it with whole wheat flour for added fiber, or use a gluten-free flour blend if you're adhering to a gluten-free diet.
If you don't have avocado oil on hand, you can use other oils like canola oil or even melted coconut oil. Alternatively, you can also use a non-dairy butter substitute, melted.
Absolutely! Feel free to fold in your favorite nuts like walnuts or pecans, or even chocolate chips into the batter before baking. Just make sure these additions are vegan if you want to keep the recipe strictly vegan.
How to Store Leftover Vegan Pumpkin Bread
Storing this delicious vegan pumpkin bread is quite simple. Once your bread has cooled to room temperature, slice it into individual servings. This way, you can just grab a slice when you're ready to eat.
Storage: Wrap each slice in parchment paper, then place them in a large, sealable plastic bag. Be sure to squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing to retain freshness. Alternatively, you can place them in an airtight container. Store the bag in the refrigerator. The bread should stay fresh for about a week.
Freezing: The best part is that this bread also freezes beautifully. Make sure it’s completely cooled and then wrap each slice in parchment paper or aluminum foil. Put the wrapped slices in a freezer bag, squeeze out the air, and seal it. Label the bag with the date, as the bread will maintain its best quality for about two to three months in the freezer.
Reheating: Simply allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat it in the microwave in 15-second increments till it's nice and warm.
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
The Best Vegan Pumpkin Bread (Super Moist and Fluffy!)
- ¾ c pumpkin puree
- ¼ c applesauce
- ⅓ c avocado oil
- ½ c almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ c all-purpose flour preferably unbleached
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ c cane sugar
- ¼ c raisins optional
- 2 tablespoon pumpkin seeds for topping
- Preheat the oven to 355 F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. To make sure the paper doesn’t slide, you can spray the sides of the pan with a bit of cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the wet ingredients - pumpkin puree, applesauce, avocado oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract.
- Add sugar and whisk again until sugar dissolves.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, salt and sugar.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until the batter is smooth. Don’t overmix.
- Add raisins and gently mix once again.
- Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Bake for 55 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle of the pumpkin bread comes up clean. If not ready, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove pumpkin bread from the loaf pan and transfer it to a wire rack to cool.