This Vegan Pound Cake is rich, vegan, and dairy-free but has the same satisfying taste and texture of a traditional pound cake. It’s made using simple, pantry staple ingredients and gets a fresh and tangy twist from lemon zest and juice that takes it to the next level! It’s a simple, classic recipe you’ll love!
Vegan pound cake is a delicious treat to bake at home, whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out.
With my simple and straightforward recipe, you’ll end up with a beautifully dense and moist cake that’s perfect for any occasion! It’s seriously just as delicious and satisfying as my Earl Grey Fruit Cake or a traditional pound cake.
What makes my vegan pound cake extra special is the fresh lemon juice and zest we’ll add to it. These ingredients bring a refreshing zestiness to the cake, balancing out the sweetness.
Plus, almond milk and vegetable oil are great dairy substitutes, making sure that the cake remains moist and full of flavor.
- What is a Vegan Pound Cake?
- Why This Is The Best Vegan Pound Cake Recipe
- What You Need to Make Vegan Pound Cake At Home
- How to Make Vegan Pound Cake, Step by Step
- Tips For Making the Best Vegan Pound Cake Every Single Time
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Pound Cake
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Vegan Pound Cake
- Similar Recipes
So, why not bring a little vegan baking magic into your kitchen with this delightful recipe? Trust me, you’re going to love this recipe! I’ve also included a delicious vegan glaze recipe that works perfectly with this vegan pound cake.
Read on to learn exactly how to make this delicious vegan pound cake recipe today!
What is a Vegan Pound Cake?
Vegan pound cake is a delicious, dairy-free version of a classic dessert. It retains the rich, moist texture and sweet flavor of traditional pound cake, but it is made without any animal products.
This vegan pound cake recipe uses common pantry ingredients, such as all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. It also incorporates vegetable oil and unsweetened non-dairy milk, such as almond milk or soy milk, for the liquid ingredients.
The cake gets its wonderful citrusy flavor from freshly squeezed lemon juice, lemon zest, and optional lemon extract. This truly takes it to the next level and gives it that classic touch!
You’ll absolutely love trying my recipe and enjoying this cake because it’s the best guilt-free dessert you’ll ever have that doesn’t skimp on flavor or texture! It’s moist, sweet, and lemony, satisfying dessert cravings while still sticking to a vegan lifestyle. Plus, the process of making the cake is straightforward and rewarding, making it a perfect baking project for both new and experienced bakers.
Why This Is The Best Vegan Pound Cake Recipe
Easy to make: This vegan pound cake recipe is straightforward and simple. From the initial mixing of dry ingredients to the final pour of the lemon glaze, each step is easy to follow. It is as simple as whisking, combining mixtures, and baking.
Versatile: This recipe is flexible and allows for many substitutions. If you don’t have a bundt pan, a loaf pan works just as well. You can also switch up the non-dairy milk for any other plant-based milk of your choice. Plus, the lemon flavor can be adjusted to taste, making this recipe truly customizable.
Delicious: The combination of fresh lemon zest and juice gives this vegan pound cake a bright, tangy flavor that pairs beautifully with the sweet, smooth lemon glaze. The texture is also amazing, yielding a cake that’s moist and light yet still richly satisfying.
Crowd Pleaser: This recipe is not only vegan, but can also be easily made gluten-free. It is a dessert that everyone can enjoy, regardless of dietary preferences or restrictions. Plus, the visually appealing lemon glaze makes it an attractive centerpiece for any gathering.
Healthier option: This vegan pound cake cuts out the dairy without compromising on taste or texture, making it a healthier choice. It’s lower in cholesterol and saturated fats compared to traditional pound cake recipes, and the inclusion of lemon adds a boost of vitamin C.
What You Need to Make Vegan Pound Cake At Home
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this delicious vegan lemon pound cake recipe at home.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
For the Vegan Pound Cake:
All-purpose flour: We’ll need some all-purpose flour to make this vegan pound cake. The flour will serve as the base for the cake, providing the necessary structure and texture once it is combined with the other dry ingredients and baked.
Granulated sugar: We’ll also need some granulated sugar. The sugar will not only sweeten the cake but will also aid in creating a light and fluffy texture when beaten with the liquid ingredients.
Baking powder and baking soda: We’ll be needing both baking powder and baking soda to make this cake. These leavening agents will react with the acidity in the lemon juice and non-dairy milk, creating a rise in the batter for a tender, light cake.
Salt: We’ll also need some salt. Salt will enhance the flavor of the other ingredients and balance the sweetness of the cake.
Vegetable oil: We’ll be needing some vegetable oil to make this cake. The oil will add moisture and richness to the cake, contributing to a tender crumb.
Non-dairy milk: We’ll also need some non-dairy milk, such as almond milk or soy milk. The milk will hydrate the dry ingredients, creating a smooth batter, and if you don’t have these, you can substitute with any other plant-based milk of your choice e.g. oat milk.
Lemon juice and zest: We’ll be needing freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest. These will provide a refreshing lemon flavor to the cake, with the zest adding an extra punch of citrus.
Vanilla extract: We’ll also need some vanilla extract. The vanilla will add a depth of flavor and enhance the taste of the other ingredients.
For the Glaze:
Powdered sugar: You’ll be needing some powdered sugar to make the glaze. The sugar will dissolve easily in the almond milk and lemon juice, creating a smooth and pourable glaze.
Almond milk: We’ll also need some almond milk for the glaze. It will help achieve the desired consistency, remember to add it gradually to avoid making the glaze too runny.
Lemon juice: We’ll be needing additional lemon juice for the glaze. It will add a tangy flavor, and if you want a stronger lemon flavor, you can add more.
If you don’t have a bundt pan, you can use a regular 9x5-inch loaf pan instead, but adjust the cooking time accordingly. To make the glaze thicker, add more powdered sugar.
How to Make Vegan Pound Cake, Step by Step
Making this incredible vegan pound cake recipe at home is super easy and will give you great results every single time. Here's how to make it step by step:
Step 1: Preparing Your Vegan Pound Cake Batter
- Start by preheating your oven to a temperature of 350°F (175°C). This step is crucial as it makes sure that the oven is hot enough to cook the pound cake evenly. While your oven is heating up, prepare your loaf pan by greasing it with cooking spray or vegan butter. This prevents the batter from sticking to the pan, guaranteeing an easy release after baking.
- Next, take a large mixing bowl and whisk together the purpose flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. These constitute your dry ingredients and will provide the base for your cake’s texture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the vegetable oil, your choice of non-dairy milk (soy milk or almond milk would work great), lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Whisk these liquid ingredients until they form a creamy mixture. The lemon juice and zest will give your cake a delightful citrus flavor, while the vanilla extract adds depth to the overall taste.
- Now, carefully sift the dry ingredients into the bowl of liquid ingredients, adding one cup at a time. Fold in the dry ingredients until they’re just combined into the batter — but remember, it is important not to overmix at this stage as it could make your cake tough.
- Once your batter is ready, pour it into your greased bundt pan, smoothing out the top with a spatula for an even bake.
Step 2: Baking Your Vegan Pound Cake
- Now place the bundt pan in your preheated oven and bake the cake for about 45 minutes. However, keep an eye on it after 35 minutes to avoid overbaking. To check if your cake is done, insert a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, your cake is ready. If not, give it a few more minutes.
- After baking, allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. This will make it easier to remove from the pan. Then, transfer your cake to a cooling rack to let it cool completely. This is an important step, as cooling helps the cake to firm up and enhances its flavor.
Step 3: Preparing the Lemon Glaze
- While your cake is cooling, you can start preparing the lemon glaze. In a separate mixing bowl, sift the powdered sugar to remove any lumps. This will make sure that your glaze is smooth and lump-free.
- Add the almond milk to the powdered sugar gradually, one teaspoon at a time, and whisk vigorously with a fork. The glaze should start to become more liquid at this point. Now, add a teaspoon or two of lemon juice and continue whisking until the glaze is smooth.
- If the glaze is too thick, simply add a little more almond milk, a teaspoon at a time. The key is to reach a pourable consistency for a perfect glaze.
- Once your cake has cooled completely, place it on a serving plate. Pour the glaze over the top, making sure it covers the entire cake. Allow the glaze to set for about 10-15 minutes. This will give the glaze time to harden slightly, making for a delightful, tangy crunch with each bite.
- Your delicious Vegan Pound Cake is ready to be served!
Tips For Making the Best Vegan Pound Cake Every Single Time
Preheating the oven: Always preheat your oven before starting to mix the batter for your vegan pound cake recipe. This helps to make sure that your cake will start baking as soon as it is in the oven and helps it to rise properly. A properly preheated oven will also give your cake a better texture and flavor.
Mixing the batter: When mixing the batter, make sure not to overmix. Overmixing can lead to a tougher texture in your pound cake. When you add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients, fold them in gently until just combined to keep your cake light and fluffy.
Choosing the right pan: If you don’t have a bundt pan, you can use a regular 9x5-inch loaf pan. However, make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly. Bundt pans have a hole in the middle that allows for more even heat distribution, so a loaf pan might take a bit longer to bake the cake.
Zesting the lemons: Always zest your lemons before juicing them. The zest provides a stronger lemon flavor that compliments the lemon juice in the cake and the lemon glaze. Plus, it is much easier to zest a whole lemon than a squeezed one.
Making the glaze: When making the lemon glaze, add the almond milk gradually. This helps you control the consistency of the glaze. If you add too much milk at once, your glaze might become too runny. If you want a stronger lemon flavor, you can add more lemon juice.
Cooling the cake: Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack. This makes the cake easier to remove from the pan without breaking. Once the cake is completely cool, transfer it to a serving plate and then add the glaze.
Substituting non-dairy milk: Feel free to substitute the non-dairy milk in this recipe with any other plant-based milk of your choice. Just keep in mind that different types of milk can slightly affect the final taste and texture of your cake. Choose one that compliments the other flavors in your cake.
- If you’re looking for a refreshing contrast to sweet and zesty vegan pound cake, a raspberry and blueberry salad can be an excellent choice. The tartness of the raspberries and blueberries cuts through the sweetness of the cake, while the burst of freshness from the berries compliments the dense cake texture perfectly.
- A scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream served alongside the vegan pound cake would make a heavenly pairing. The creaminess and coldness of the ice cream would provide a delightful contrast to the warm, lemon-glazed pound cake, enhancing its flavor and texture.
- For those who prefer their desserts with a hint of bitterness, a cup of strong black coffee or an espresso would be an ideal accompaniment for the vegan pound cake. The bitterness of the coffee balances the sweetness of the cake and the acidity of the lemon glaze, providing a well-rounded taste experience.
- For a tropical twist, consider serving the vegan pound cake with a side of fresh coconut whipped cream. The mild, creamy flavor of the coconut cream pairs well with the zesty lemon cake, and the light, fluffy texture of the whipped cream adds a delicious contrast to the dense cake.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Pound Cake
This delicious vegan pound cake recipe is so flavorful and easy to make, you'll want to try out some of these delicious variations! Here are some great ideas:
Blueberry Lemon: Give your vegan pound cake a fresh twist by adding a cup of fresh or frozen blueberries into the batter before baking. The sweet and tangy flavor of blueberries pairs perfectly with the lemon, elevating the overall taste.
Chocolate Chip: For chocolate lovers, this variation is a must-try. Stir in a cup of vegan chocolate chips into the batter before baking. The melted chocolate not only adds a rich flavor but also gives an exciting texture to the pound cake.
Coconut Cream: If you’re a fan of coconut, this variation is for you. Replace the almond milk with coconut milk and add a half cup of shredded coconut into the batter. The coconut cream will add a tropical flavor and the shredded coconut will provide a delightful texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can substitute the non-dairy milk with regular milk if you are not strictly vegan or lactose intolerant. However, this will change the vegan nature of the recipe.
Yes, if you don’t have a bundt cake pan, you can use a regular 9x5-inch loaf pan instead. However, adjust the cooking time accordingly as the batter will be more condensed in a loaf pan.
To thicken the glaze, simply add more powdered sugar. Add it gradually, though, to avoid making it too sweet or too thick.
If you want a stronger lemon flavor, you can add more lemon juice to the glaze. Also, make sure to zest the lemons before juicing them to get the most flavor.
Yes, you can use coconut sugar as a healthy substitute, but it might alter the taste and texture of the cake slightly.
Yes, you can replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour of your choice. Keep in mind that different gluten-free flours have different properties, so it might slightly affect the texture of the cake.
Yes, you can top the cake with fresh berries, such as fresh raspberries or blueberries for added flavor and texture.
How to Store Leftover Vegan Pound Cake
If you’re planning to eat the leftover cake within a few days, simply wrap it in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container at room temperature.
If your home is particularly warm or humid, you might consider storing the cake in the refrigerator to extend its shelf life. Just make sure it is well wrapped or sealed to prevent it from drying out.
To reheat, place the slices of pound cake on a microwave-safe plate and heat for about 10-15 seconds. If you prefer using an oven, preheat it to 350°F, wrap the cake in aluminum foil, and heat for about five minutes or until it is warmed through.
Freezing is a viable option if you want to extend the cake’s life even more. However, it is important to note that while the cake itself freezes well, the lemon glaze may change in texture and taste somewhat upon thawing due to the moisture content.
To freeze, simply wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil and pop it in the freezer. It can be frozen for up to three months.
When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen cake, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. You can then eat it cold or follow the above reheating instructions.
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Best Ever Vegan Pound Cake
For the cake
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9x5-inch pan with cooking spray or vegan butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Sift the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients one cup at a time and fold until just combined (make sure not to overmix)
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (you can check if it's cooked after 35 minutes but do not open the oven before that)
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Prepare the lemon glaze
- In a mixing bowl, sift the powdered sugar to remove any lumps.
- Add the almond milk one teaspoon at a time and whisk vigorously with a fork until the glaze is more liquid, then add one or two teaspoons of lemon juice and keep whisking until it's smooth. Do this carefully to reach the desired consistency.
- If the glaze is too thick, add a little more almond milk, a teaspoon at a time.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, place it on a serving plate and pour the glaze over the top.
- Let the glaze set for about 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.