The creamy texture of the soup comes from the potatoes, which are boiled until tender and then part blended until smooth. But that’s not where all the flavor comes in! My recipe also includes vegetables such as onions, garlic, and carrots that add a delicious depth of flavor and extra nutrients to the soup.
This recipe is perfect for those who are looking for a healthy and satisfying meal that is both vegan and gluten-free. Whether you are a seasoned cook or a beginner, this Vegan Potato Soup is a recipe that you will want to keep in your arsenal.
Read on to learn exactly how to make this delicious vegan potato soup recipe today!
- What is Vegan Potato Soup?
- Why This Is The Best Vegan Potato Soup Recipe?
- What You Need to Make Vegan Potato Soup At Home
- How to Make Vegan Potato Soup Step by Step
- Tips For Making the Best Vegan Potato Soup Every Single Time
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Potato Soup
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Vegan Potato Soup
- Similar Recipes
What is Vegan Potato Soup?
Vegan potato soup is a soup made with potatoes, vegetables, and plant-based milk or cream instead of animal-based ingredients like cream or butter. This soup is often seasoned with herbs and spices like thyme, garlic, and black pepper.
What is good about this dish is that it is a healthy and delicious way to consume potatoes and vegetables. It is also a great option for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy.
The plant-based milk or cream used in the soup adds creaminess to the dish without the added cholesterol and saturated fat found in animal-based ingredients. Plus, potatoes are a good source of potassium, vitamin C, and fiber, making this soup a nutritious and satisfying meal.
Why This Is The Best Vegan Potato Soup Recipe?
Tasty: This vegan potato soup recipe is packed with flavor thanks to the combination of potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. The addition of herbs also gives it a unique and comforting taste that is perfect for a cold day.
Easy: This recipe comes together quickly and easily, making it a great option for busy weeknights or last-minute gatherings. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep work, you can have a delicious soup on the table in no time.
Versatile: This soup is incredibly versatile and can be adapted to suit your taste preferences. You can add different vegetables or spices to change up the flavor, or even add some vegan cheese or sour cream for a creamier texture.
Healthy: This vegan potato soup is a great way to get in some extra vegetables and nutrients. It’s also low in fat and calories, making it a perfect option for those who are watching their weight or trying to eat healthier.
Family favorite: Whether you’re cooking for a group of vegans or meat-eaters, this soup is sure to be a hit. It’s comforting, flavorful, and satisfying, making it a great option for a family dinner or potluck. Plus, it’s so delicious that even meat-lovers won’t miss the meat!
What You Need to Make Vegan Potato Soup At Home
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this delicious vegan soup recipe at home.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
Olive oil: We’ll be using olive oil to sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic, creating a flavorful base for the soup.
Chopped onion: The chopped onion will be sautéed in olive oil until soft and translucent, adding a savory sweetness to the soup. Later on, the onion will provide some texture and a burst of flavor with each spoonful.
Minced garlic: We’ll also need some minced garlic for this recipe. It’ll infuse the soup with a pungent, aromatic flavor. As the soup simmers, the garlic’s flavor will mellow out and blend perfectly with the other ingredients.
Vegetable broth: We’ll be using vegetable broth to provide the base of the soup, giving it a rich, savory flavor. As the soup reduces, the vegetable broth will intensify the flavors of the other ingredients.
Potatoes: Of course, we’ll also need some potatoes for this recipe! They’re the star ingredient and will provide a hearty, starchy element that will help thicken the broth. As the soup simmers, the potatoes will break down and enhance the creaminess of the soup.
Full-fat coconut milk: We’ll be adding full-fat coconut milk to the soup, giving it a rich, creamy texture and a subtle coconut flavor. As the soup cooks, the coconut milk will thicken and create a luxurious, velvety finish.
All-purpose flour: We’ll be using all-purpose flour to thicken the soup and give it a slightly denser texture. As the flour cooks, it will absorb the liquid and create a smooth, creamy consistency.
Carrots: Sliced carrots will add a touch of sweetness to the soup, balancing out the savory flavors. As the soup cooks, the carrots will become tender and offer a satisfying crunch.
Dried thyme: We’ll be adding dried thyme to the soup, imbuing it with a warm, earthy flavor. As the soup cooks, the thyme will release its oils and infuse the broth with its distinctive aroma.
Paprika: The paprika will add a smoky, slightly spicy flavor to the soup, balancing out the sweetness of the vegetables.
Cayenne pepper: We’ll be using cayenne pepper to add a fiery kick to the soup, making it a bit more exciting and complex.
Salt and pepper: We’ll be seasoning the soup with salt and pepper, enhancing the flavors of all the other ingredients.
Corn kernels: The corn kernels will add a sweet, juicy element to the soup, giving it a touch of crunch and texture. As the soup cooks, the corn will release its natural sweetness and blend perfectly with the other ingredients.
Chopped green onions: Finally, we’ll be topping the soup with chopped green onions, adding a bright, fresh flavor to the finished dish. The green onions will provide a pop of color and a burst of flavor in every bite.
How to Make Vegan Potato Soup Step by Step
Making this incredible vegan potato soup recipe at home is super easy and will give you great results every single time. Here's how to make it step by step:
- To make this creamy vegetable soup, start by heating up some olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add some chopped onions and minced garlic, and sauté them for about 5-7 minutes until the onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Next, add some vegetable broth, diced potatoes, sliced carrots, fresh thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to the pot. Give everything a good stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, whisk together some coconut milk and all-purpose flour in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the coconut milk mixture to the pot and stir everything together. Let the soup simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Now it’s time to blend some of the soup. Use a blender or food processor to puree 1 cup of the soup until it’s smooth.
- Then, pour the pureed mixture back into the pot and add some corn kernels. Stir everything together and let the soup continue to simmer.
- If you want the soup to be even creamier, you can blend more of the vegetables until they’re smooth and add them back to the pot. This will thicken the soup and give it a creamier texture.
- Finally, ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle some chopped green onions on top for some extra flavor. Enjoy your delicious and creamy vegetable soup!
Your delicious Vegan Potato Soup is ready to be served!
Tips For Making the Best Vegan Potato Soup Every Single Time
Preparing the Potatoes: To ensure even cooking, chop the potatoes into uniform pieces. If you prefer a creamier soup, leave some of the potatoes in larger chunks.
Sautéing the Onion: Sauté the onion until it’s translucent and slightly caramelized for added depth of flavor.
Adjusting the Seasoning: Taste the soup before serving and adjust the seasoning to your liking. If it’s too thick, add more vegetable broth or water to thin it out.
Using Fresh Herbs: For a burst of freshness, add freshly chopped parsley or chives to the soup just before serving.
Add Other Veggies: If you have some other veggies you love, you can add them into the recipe as well.
Garnishing the Soup: Top the soup with a dollop of vegan sour cream or yogurt, croutons, or crispy fried onions for added texture and flavor.
Making it Creamier: To make the soup creamier, blend a portion of the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender to puree some of the soup, then add it back to the pot.
Adding Protein: For added protein, toss in some chickpeas or lentils towards the end of cooking. This will also make the soup more filling and satisfying.
- Top the soup with croutons, chopped herbs like rosemary, and a drizzle of olive oil for added texture and flavor. Serve with a side of crusty bread for a satisfying meal.
- Add some plant-based protein to the soup by adding a handful of cooked chickpeas or lentils. This will make the soup more filling and nutritious.
- For a creamy twist, swirl in some coconut milk or cashew cream before serving. This will add a rich, luxurious texture to the soup and make it even more comforting.
- Top the soup with some vegan yogurt, vegan butter, or dairy-free cream before serving for a creamier twist to your delicious vegan soup recipe.
- Serve the soup with a side salad of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and avocado for a light and refreshing meal. The salad will provide a nice contrast to the warm, hearty soup.
- For a more substantial meal, top the soup with some vegan sausage or bacon crumbles. This will add a smoky, savory flavor to the soup and make it more satisfying.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Potato Soup
This delicious vegan potato soup recipe is so flavorful and easy to make, you'll want to try out some of these delicious variations! Here are some great ideas:
- Creamy curry version: Add 1 tablespoon of curry powder and 1 can of coconut milk to the recipe for a fragrant and creamy twist on the classic potato soup. Perfect for those who love a little spice and want to switch up the flavor profile.
- Loaded version: Top the soup with vegan sour cream, chives, vegan bacon bits, and shredded vegan cheddar cheese for a loaded baked potato soup. Ideal for those who crave a heartier soup that is reminiscent of a loaded baked potato.
- Spicy Southwest version: Add 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, and 1 teaspoon of cumin to the recipe for a spicy kick. Serve with vegan tortilla chips and a squeeze of lime juice for a Southwestern-inspired meal.
- Roasted garlic version: Roast 1 head of garlic in the oven and add it to the soup for a rich and savory taste. This variation is perfect for garlic lovers who want to add depth of flavor to the soup.
- Lentil version: Add 1 cup of cooked lentils to the soup for added protein and texture. This variation is perfect for those who want a heartier soup that will keep them full and satisfied.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use any type of potato for this recipe, but keep in mind that different types of potatoes have different textures and flavors, which may affect the final outcome of the soup. I recommend going for Russet potatoes or Yukon Golds.
Yes, you can use any other type of non-dairy milk you have at home. But keep in mind that it will alter the consistency and flavor your vegan soup.
Yes, you can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Make sure to let it cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container.
Yes, you can make this soup in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just make sure to reheat it on the stove before serving.
Yes, you can add other vegetables to this soup, such as carrots, celery, or kale, to increase its nutritional value and flavor. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Yes, this soup is gluten-free, as it does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye. However, make sure to check the labels of the vegetable broth and other ingredients to ensure they are gluten-free as well.
How to Store Leftover Vegan Potato Soup
To store leftovers of this Vegan Potato Soup recipe, allow the soup to cool down to room temperature. Once cooled, transfer the soup to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to four days.
To reheat, pour the desired amount of soup into a pot and heat over medium heat until heated through. If the soup is too thick, you can add a little water or vegetable broth to thin it out. Alternatively, you can even use a microwave to warm it up.
If you want to freeze the leftover soup, make sure to allow it to cool down completely before transferring it to an airtight container. The soup can be frozen for up to three months.
To thaw, place the container in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, reheat the soup on the stovetop over medium heat. It’s important to note that the texture of the soup may change slightly after being frozen and thawed, but it should still be delicious.
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Classic Vegan Potato Soup (Easy Vegan Soup Recipe)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour choose gluten-free flour if needed
- 1 can (15 oz) corn kernels rinsed
- 4 green onions chopped, for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, carrots, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and all-purpose flour until smooth. Add the mixture to the pot and stir to combine.
- Continue to simmer the soup for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the soup has thickened slightly.
- Remove 1 cup of the soup mixture and blend it in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return the pureed mixture to the pot, add the corn kernels and stir to combine.
- If the soup is not creamy enough, you can blend more of the vegetables until smooth and add them back to the pot. This will thicken the soup and give it a creamier texture.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with chopped green onions.