This Healthy Oatmeal Bread is made with just a handful ingredients and so delicious. It has a wonderful sweet aroma from the oats and maple syrup and perfectly crispy crust. This homemade loaf can be made by hands or in Kitchen Aid.
Homemade bread is one the best things you can bake in your kitchen. The experience is especially satisfying if you make your bread from scratch.
Thanks to the variety of flours and other baking essentials, it has never been easier to make your bread at home.
This Healthy Vegan Oatmeal Bread is one of my favorite recipes.
Thanks to a combination of flours, this Oat loaf comes out soft and spongy on the inside with a thin and perfectly crispy crust. The taste of this bread is amazing - it's aromatic, with a mildly sweet oatmeal aftertaste.
In addition, this Maple Oat bread is not only delicious but is good for you too. Whole wheat flour is rich in Fiber and Oats are one of the healthiest grains in the world. Moreover, refined sugar is substituted with Maple syrup that also has many health benefits.
When you bake this healthy loaf, your kitchen will smell amazing. And that is always a good thing.
To make this bread as delicious as possible, this recipe uses 2 types of flour and some additional and simple ingredients. If you're a baker, you're most likely to have these ingredients sitting in your pantry. If not - they're available in all grocery stores.
- Flours - all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and rolled oats
- Yeast - to help our dough rise
- Maple syrup - for a little bit of sweetness. Maple syrup pairs really well with oats
- Oil - any oil without aroma will do. I used grape seed oil
Storing And Freezing
To retain freshness, it's best to store the bread on a counter. Once you slice it, simply place it in clean paper bag and store at room temperature.
This easy Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread can be frozen for up to 1 month. Place it in the freezer-safe silicone bag or tightly wrap in plastic and put in a freezer.
It’s best to defrost the bread overnight on a counter. I don’t recommend defrosting this loaf in a microwave as the texture might change.
Healthy Vegan Oatmeal Bread
Combine the ingredients
- In a large bowl (or Kitchen Aid) mix together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, ½ c of rolled oats and yeast.
- Add water, Maple syrup and give everything a quick stir. Mix with a spoon (or Speed 2 on Kitchen Aid fitted with a hook) until combined. Cover the bowl with a towel and set aside for 20 minutes, (see Note 1).
Knead the dough
- Gradually add oil, salt and knead the dough until it's elastic, about 5-10 minutes, (see Note 2). Cover the bowl with a towel and place in a warm place for 1 hour until the dough doubles in size.
Shape the dough into a log
- After the dough doubled in size, place the dough on a very lightly floured surface and lightly flatten it with hands. Roll it into a tight log slightly pinching the seam.
- Lightly wet your hands and pat the log. Spread the remanning 2 tbsp of oats on a working surface and roll the log into the oats. Transfer the log on a parchment lined baking dish, cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm place for 1 hour until the dough doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 410 F.
- Fill a rectangular or square (9 x 9 inches) baking dish with a few cups of hot water and place the dish in the oven on a lowest rack (see Note 3). In 30 seconds place baking dish with the loaf into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, carefully remove baking dish with the water from the oven, reduce the temperature to 360 F and bake for 30 more minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and cool on a wire rack.