This fluffy Vegan Flatbread aka thick Lavash is versatile and delicious. Slather it with garlic butter or dunk into the Mushroom Soup, the options are endless on how to enjoy this basic flatbread. The best part - it's made with just 4 ingredients and without yeast.
When it comes to flatbreads, people most often think of Indian Naan and thin Pita-like flatbreads.
I absolutely adore both of these, but recently I had a chance to try another flatbread which is called Lavash.
Lavash is a traditional Middle Eastern flatbread. It can be enjoyed for breakfast or served with soups.
Although usually, Lavash flatbread is thin, thick Lavash is popular as well. Thanks to its fluffy inside, thick Lavash can be stuffed with a variety of fillings and it can easily become a base for sandwiches.
The best thing about this simple vegan flatbread is that it's made with only 4 essential ingredients. The fifth ingredient is optional.
- Yogurt - since this is a vegan recipe, I used almond yogurt. You can replace it with coconut yogurt or cashew yogurt. OR if you're not vegan, you can use a regular Greek yogurt. The most important thing here is that yogurt had some live and active cultures. I used Kite Hill Almond yogurt and it contained around 4 different cultures.
- All-Purpose flour - I tried this recipe with 1 part of All-purpose flour and 1 part of Whole Wheat pastry flour and while I appreciated the flatbreads being "healthier", they came not as fluffy. So it's better to stick with just all-purpose flour.
- Baking soda - to help the flatbreads rise
- Salt - you can omit if you want
- Plant milk - I used almond milk to brush the top of the dough right before baking. It will give the flatbreads more beautiful color. You can use plain water.
This yeast-free flatbread is so easy to make. In fact, it's ready to be enjoyed in just 1 hour.
3. Transfer the dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten them with your fingers. (Optional - you can press with your 3 middle fingers in a center of each flatbread).
4. Brush each flatbread with ½ tablespoon of almond milk or water. Bake the flatbreads in a preheat to 460 F oven for 10-15 minutes until brown on top.
This fluffy flatbread will keep for 3 days on a counter. Simply wrap it in a kitchen towel or put in a paper bag and store at a room temperature.
Soft Vegan Flatbread Recipe
- Preheat the oven 460 F.
- In a large bowl add yogurt, baking soda and salt.
- Add 1 cup of flour and mix the ingredients until everything is incorporated. Add the remaining 1 cup of flour and knead the dough for 2-3 minutes until it is elastic and smooth. Cover the bowl with the dough with a plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 25 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface divide the dough into 4 balls. (You can lightly brush your hands with some oil). Transfer the dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten them with your fingers. (Optional - you can press with your 3 middle fingers in a center of each flatbread).
- Brush each flatbread with ½ tablespoon of almond milk or water.
- Bake the flatbreads for 10-15 minutes until brown on top.