Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Pie is a flavorful egg-free and dairy-free dessert made with a simple homemade crust, best caramel sauce filling and a crunchy Pecan topping. Surprisingly easy to make and outrageously delicious, this fall treat is sure to impress your family and friends.
Here it is. Vegan Pumpkin Pie. The star of Thanksgiving and Christmas. A treat for any fall occasion.
Because let’s be real, autumn means pumpkins. And pumpkins pretty much always mean pie.
This scrumptious Pumpkin Pie is not a typical recipe you’ll find in the grocery stores.
Yes, there are pumpkin puree and cinnamon and ginger. But there’s so much more than that.
This dairy-free and egg-free Pumpkin Pie also features filling made of caramel sauce and a crunchy toasted Pecans topping.
And I hope you don’t think it sounds complicated. It certainly not.
But the addition of simple homemade caramel sauce and quick toasted Pecans takes this Thanksgiving and Christmas dessert to a whole new level of deliciousness.
- all-purpose flour – you can also make the crust with whole wheat pastry flour
- vegan butter – I used Miyoko’s unsalted vegan butter, but any other vegan butter will do
- pumpkin puree – you’ll need to use the whole can
- spices – ground cinnamon and ginger
- coconut cream – for the caramel. I scooped up the thick fatty part from the can of full fat coconut milk
- brown sugar – for the caramel and the crunchy Pecan topping
- thickener – cornstarch
- Pecans – for the topping
1. Make a vegan crust
Add chilled flour and cold butter to a cold food processor and pulse on high for 5-6 times to break big chunks of butter. The mixture will be crumbly. With a motor running on low add water and process for 5-7 seconds until the dough starts to pull away from the walls.
💭 Top tip
Dough can be made 3 days ahead; keep chilled. Crust can be baked 3 days ahead; store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
You can prepare a caramel sauce 5 days in advance. Store it in a refrigerator in the airtight container. The sauce will get thick, so before incorporating it into a filling, you can pop the sauce in a microwave for 10 seconds.
🍰 Similar Recipe
Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Pie
For the pumpkin pie crust
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c vegan butter cut into cubes
- 5 tbsp water Note 1
For the filling
For the Pecan topping
- 1 1/4 c Pecans
- 1/4 c brown sugar
To make a pumpkin pie crust
- Before you start, make sure that all ingredients are cold. I recommend placing flour and water in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. The same goes for the food processor. The colder it is, the easier it will be to make a crust.
- Add flour and butter to a cold food processor and pulse on high for 5-6 times to break big chunks of butter. The mixture will be crumbly. With a motor running on low add water and process for 5-7 seconds until the dough starts to pull away from the walls. (Note 1)
- Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare two sheets of parchment paper, about 16 inches in diameter. Place a chilled dough on first sheet of parchment paper, cover with a second sheet and roll out the dough into a 14-inch circle.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and place pie pan on top of the exposed dough. Place one hand on a pie pan and another hand under the second sheet of parchment paper and gently flip it. Remove the second sheet of parchment paper and ease the dough into a pie pan trimming and crimping the edges. Place the crust in a freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Snug the parchment paper right up against the edges and sides of the pie and fill the pie with pie weights or rice. Make sure the cover the bottom entirely.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove crust from the oven, remove pie weights and the parchment paper. Set the crust aside.
To make the filling
- While crust is baking, in a small saucepan combine coconut cream and brown sugar. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the caramel slightly thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove caramel from the heat and let it cool for 10-20 minutes.
- In a blender combine caramel, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, cornstarch and salt. Blend for a few seconds and creamy and smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked crust and bake for 30-35 minutes until the edges are golden.
To make Pecan topping
- While pie is baking, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add Pecans and toast for 3 minutes stirring from time to time. Add sugar and stir constantly until sugar dissolves and coats the Pecan, about 1 minute. Remove pie from oven and top with toasted Pecans.
- Serve pumpkin pecan pie with whipped coconut cream and a dash of cinnamon.