These classic Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes are incredibly moist, fluffy, and packed with chocolate flavor in each bite with the tastiest vegan chocolate frosting! What’s best is that you can have them ready to eat less than 30 minutes from scratch!
These vegan chocolate cupcakes are packed with chocolate goodness in each bite with the most moist and fluffy texture ever! They’re perfect for birthday parties or even Valentine’s Day, and have that classic flavor everyone loves.
Everyone that has tried these cupcakes is always surprised that they’re a 100% vegan. But I’m not, because I truly believe you can have delicious food without using any animal-products and this recipe is proof of that!
My recipe also includes exactly how to easily make some creamy vegan chocolate frosting for that delicious classic touch! These chocolate cupcakes are super easy to make too, and even a beginner can quickly make them from scratch. Plus, you only need some simple ingredients for the best flavor.
- What are Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes?
- Why This Is The Best Vegan Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- What You Need to Make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes At Home
- How to Make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Step by Step
- Tips For Making the Best Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Every Single Time
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Similar Recipes
Whether you’re a vegan looking for a tasty treat or simply want to try something new, these cupcakes are sure to impress. So why not give them a try and see for yourself how delicious plant-based desserts can be?
Read on to learn exactly how to make this delicious vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe today!
What are Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes?
Vegan chocolate cupcakes are made without any animal products, such as eggs and dairy. Instead, they are made with plant-based ingredients such as vegetable oil, non-dairy milk, and vegan butter.
These cupcakes are perfect for those who follow a vegan diet or have dietary restrictions due to allergies or health concerns.
What’s best is that this recipe provides a healthier alternative to traditional chocolate cupcakes that are often high in saturated fat and calories.
Vegan chocolate cupcakes are typically lower in calories, fat, and cholesterol, and may also contain more fiber and nutrients from the plant-based ingredients used. Plus, they can be just as delicious as traditional chocolate cupcakes, making them a great treat for vegans and non-vegans alike.
Why This Is The Best Vegan Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- Easy: This recipe is incredibly simple to make, requiring only a handful of basic ingredients and minimal prep time, making it a great option for busy people who still want to enjoy a delicious vegan dessert.
- Versatile: These cupcakes are incredibly versatile, as they can be customized with a variety of toppings and frostings to suit any taste or occasion, whether you prefer classic chocolate buttercream, creamy peanut butter frosting, or tangy raspberry glaze.
- Delicious: They are not only vegan-friendly, but are also incredibly delicious, with a rich, chocolatey flavor that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. They are moist, fluffy, and perfectly balanced, making them a hit with vegans and non-vegans alike.
- Crowd-Pleaser: Whether you’re hosting a party, potluck, or just need a sweet treat to share with friends and family, these vegan chocolate cupcakes are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. They are easy to transport, serve, and enjoy, making them a great option for any gathering.
- Healthy: These cupcakes are not only delicious and crowd-pleasing, but also healthier than store-bought cupcakes. They are also low in sugar making them a guilt-free indulgence that you can enjoy anytime.
What You Need to Make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes At Home
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry staples to make this delicious vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe at home.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. You can find the exact ingredients and measurements in the recipe card below.
For the Cupcakes:
- All-purpose flour: You’ll be needing some all-purpose flour to make this recipe. It will help give the cupcakes structure and texture.
- Sugar: We’ll also need some cane sugar to make this recipe. It will provide sweetness and help the cupcakes brown in the oven.
- Cocoa powder: To add some chocolate flavor, we’ll be using some unsweetened cocoa powder. It will give the cupcakes a rich, chocolatey taste.
- Baking powder: Baking powder will be added to the batter to help the cupcakes rise in the oven and give them a light, fluffy texture.
- Salt: A pinch of salt will be added to enhance the flavor of the cupcakes and balance out the sweetness.
- Vegetable oil: Vegetable oil will be used as the fat in the recipe, making the cupcakes moist and tender.
- Vanilla extract: To add some extra flavor, we’ll be using vanilla extract. It will complement the chocolate flavor and add a sweet aroma.
- Water: Water will be added to the batter to help bring all the ingredients together and create a smooth, pourable consistency.
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- Vegan butter: We’ll be using softened vegan butter to make the frosting. It will provide a creamy texture and rich flavor.
- Powdered sugar: You’ll also need some powdered sugar. It will help sweeten the frosting to the right level and also help it thicken up.
- Cocoa powder: We’ll be adding some cocoa powder to our frosting to get that delicious chocolate flavor. I recommend going for a good quality cocoa powder for the best results.
- Non-dairy milk: You’ll also need some non-dairy will. It’ll help us get the right consistency for our delicious vegan chocolate frosting which will help give it that spreadable consistency.
- Vanilla extract: Finally, we’ll add some vanilla extract to enhance the flavor of the frosting and give it a sweet aroma.
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Step by Step
Making these incredible vegan cupcakes at home is super easy and will give you great results every single time. Here's how to make it step by step:
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (180°C) and lining your muffin tin with cupcake liners. This will make sure that your cupcakes don’t stick to the tin and are easy to remove once they’re done baking.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Make sure to whisk these ingredients well to guarantee that they’re evenly distributed and there are no lumps in the batter.
- Add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and water to the bowl and whisk until the batter is smooth. It is important to mix the wet ingredients well so that the batter is evenly mixed and there are no lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cupcake liner about two-thirds full. This will make sure that your cupcakes rise evenly and have a nice shape.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. It is important to check the cupcakes frequently towards the end of the baking time to make sure that they don’t overcook or burn.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool completely before frosting them. This will make sure that the frosting doesn’t melt or slide off the cupcakes.
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- To make the frosting, begin by beating the vegan butter with an electric mixer until it is light and fluffy. This will make sure that the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract to the bowl, and beat the mixture until it’s smooth and creamy. Make sure to mix the frosting well to guarantee that all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- If the frosting is too thick, add a bit more non-dairy milk, one tablespoon at a time, until it is the desired consistency. This will make sure that your frosting is easy to pipe onto the cupcakes and has a nice texture.
How to Decorate Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, use a piping bag fitted with a star tip to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes in a swirl. This will give your cupcakes a professional and polished look.
Your delicious Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes are ready to be served!
Tips For Making the Best Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Every Single Time
Preheat the Oven: Always start by preheating your oven to the required temperature before you begin mixing the ingredients. This makes sure that the cupcakes bake evenly and turn out perfectly.
Sift the Dry Ingredients: Sifting the dry ingredients, such as flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder, helps to remove any lumps and aerate the mixture. This results in a light, fluffy cupcake.
Use a Scoop to Measure Batter: Using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to measure the batter guarantees that each cupcake is of the exact same shape and size no matter how many times you make it.
Cool Completely Before Frosting: Let the cupcakes cool completely on a wire rack before frosting to prevent the frosting from melting and sliding off. You can speed up the process by placing the cupcakes in the fridge for a few minutes.
Experiment with Frosting Flavors: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different frosting flavors, such as vanilla, chocolate, or peanut butter. This can add an extra layer of flavor to your vegan chocolate cupcakes and make them even more delicious.
- Top with a vegan cream cheese frosting and fresh berries for a decadent dessert.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts and a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce for a sweet and crunchy treat.
- Serve with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder for a classic dessert combo.
- Decorate with vegan buttercream and edible flowers for an elegant touch to a special occasion.
- Pair with a warm cup of vegan hot chocolate for the ultimate chocolate lover’s experience.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
This delicious vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe is so flavorful and easy to make, you'll want to try out some of these delicious variations! Here are some great ideas:
Raspberry: Add fresh raspberries to the batter and top with raspberry frosting for a fruity twist on this classic recipe.
Peanut Butter: Mix in a few spoonfuls of peanut butter to the batter and top with a peanut butter frosting for a deliciously nutty flavor.
Mint: Add a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the batter and top with a mint buttercream frosting for a refreshing and cool dessert.
Orange: Add orange zest to the batter and top with an orange cream cheese frosting for a tangy and citrusy treat.
Coconut: Mix in shredded coconut to the batter and top with a coconut cream cheese frosting for a tropical twist on these cupcakes.
Frequently Asked Questions
These cupcakes are vegan because they do not contain any animal products such as eggs, dairy, or honey. Instead, they use plant-based substitutes like non-dairy milk, vegan butter, and vegetable oil.
You can use any type of non-dairy milk you have on hand or prefer such as soy milk, oat milk, almond milk, cashew milk, etc.
Yes, you can use any type of oil that is liquid at room temperature and vegan for this recipe such as coconut oil. I don’t recommend going for oils with a strong flavor since it can change the flavor of your cupcakes.
How to Store Leftover Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
To store leftovers of this vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe, allow the cupcakes to cool completely before storing. Place them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
To thaw, remove the cupcakes from the fridge and allow them to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. To reheat, you can gently warm them in the microwave for a few seconds or in the oven at 350°F for about 5-7 minutes until they are slightly warm.
If you want to freeze the cupcakes, make sure to store them in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag.
However, it is important to note that the texture of the cupcakes may alter after freezing, as they may become soggy or dry. Therefore, it is recommended not to freeze them unless it is absolutely necessary.
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
The Best Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract,, and water to the bowl, and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cupcake liner about two-thirds full.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool completely before frosting them.
To make the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the vegan butter with an electric mixer until it's light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract to the bowl, and beat the mixture until it's smooth and creamy.
- If the frosting is too thick, add a bit more non-dairy milk, one tablespoon at a time, until it's the desired consistency.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, use a piping bag fitted with a star tip to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes in a swirl.