If you’ve never tried a vegan breakfast casserole, you sure are in for a treat! This dish is a delicious blend of textures and flavors that will fill you up and keep you going all morning. The tofu "egg" mixture provides a firm yet creamy texture, while the sautéed vegetables add a satisfying crunch. The melted vegan cheese on top gives it that irresistible golden-brown finish that makes this dish a hit at any breakfast table.
This vegan egg casserole is a fantastic dish to whip up at home. Not only is it packed with nutritious ingredients like tofu, spinach, and mushrooms, but it is also incredibly satisfying. Whether you're vegan or not, this recipe is a great way to start your day with a hearty, healthy meal that's bursting with flavor.
The best thing is how simple and versatile it is! You can easily customize it with your favorite vegetables or vegan cheese. Plus, it is perfect for holiday breakfasts or a leisurely weekend brunch. Give it a try, and I promise you won't be disappointed!
Read on to learn exactly how to make this delicious vegan breakfast casserole recipe today!
- What is Vegan Breakfast Casserole?
- Why This Is The Best Vegan Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- What You Need to Make Vegan Breakfast Casserole At Home
- How to Make Vegan Breakfast Casserole (Step-by-Step)
- Tips For Making the Best Vegan Breakfast Casserole Every Single Time
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- Try These Breakfast Recipes
What is Vegan Breakfast Casserole?
A vegan breakfast casserole is a delicious and hearty dish that is a perfect start to your day.
This recipe is a delicious blend of tofu, spinach, and other vegetables, all baked to perfection in a casserole dish. The tofu is crumbled and mixed with a variety of ingredients to create an "egg mixture," which forms the main body of the casserole.
Making this vegan breakfast casserole at home is a great way to explore vegan cooking and enjoy a wholesome, flavorful meal.
The combination of the rich tofu "egg" mixture, the fresh spinach, and the other vegetables creates a dish that is not only visually appealing but also packed with flavor.
So whether you're a seasoned vegan cook or just trying out new recipes, this vegan breakfast casserole is definitely going to impress with its taste and texture!
Why This Is The Best Vegan Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Easy to make: This vegan breakfast casserole recipe is straightforward and simple. With the help of a food processor to blend the tofu "egg" mixture, and an oven to bake it all together, you'll have a delicious and hearty vegan breakfast casserole in no time.
- Family-favorite: This vegan breakfast casserole recipe is a hit with families. Its familiar, comforting taste and texture make it a perfect choice for holiday breakfasts or a casual weekend brunch.
- Vegan and gluten-free: This casserole is not only vegan but also gluten-free. It is a satisfying and delicious dish that everyone can enjoy, regardless of dietary restrictions or preferences.
- Versatile: This recipe is versatile and customizable. You can mix and match your favorite vegetables or add in extras like vegan sausage or hash browns. It is a great way to make use of any leftover veggies in your fridge.
- Delicious: The blend of tofu, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, and a variety of vegetables, topped with vegan cheese, creates a mouthwatering dish that's packed with flavor.
What You Need to Make Vegan Breakfast Casserole At Home
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this delicious vegan breakfast casserole recipe at home.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
For the ‘Egg’ Mixture:
Extra Firm Tofu: This acts as the main component of our vegan "egg" mixture. Tofu gives the casserole a dense and satisfying texture, replicating the consistency of traditional eggs.
Water: It helps in blending the tofu to get the right consistency for our mixture.
Nutritional Yeast: It adds a cheesy and savory flavor to our vegan egg mixture, making it taste more like traditional eggs.
Soy Sauce: This ingredient adds depth and umami flavor to the tofu mixture.
Onion Powder and Garlic Powder: These ingredients give the tofu mixture a savory flavor, enhancing the overall taste of the casserole.
Salt: It enhances the flavors of all the other ingredients in the tofu mixture.\
For the Veggies:
Spinach, Cherry Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Mushrooms: These ingredients add a variety of flavors, textures, and colors to the casserole. You can customize the vegetable selection based on your preferences or what you have available. Feel free to add or substitute other vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or broccoli.
Vegan Shredded Cheese: It adds a rich, creamy texture and cheesy flavor to the casserole. Make sure the casserole is fully set, and the cheese is melted and slightly golden before removing it from the oven.
How to Make Vegan Breakfast Casserole (Step-by-Step)
Making this incredible vegan breakfast casserole recipe at home is super easy and will give you great results every single time. Here's how to make it step by step:
Preparing Your Ingredients and Casserole Dish
- Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to a baking temperature of 375°F (190°C). Make sure to lightly grease a casserole dish to prevent sticking.
- Prepare your Tofu: In a mixing bowl, crumble the extra-firm tofu using your hands or a fork until it reaches a desirable consistency.
- Prepare your "Egg Mixture": In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Blend your Ingredients: Pour the crumbled tofu, water, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, onion powder and garlic powder into a food processor. Blend until all the ingredients are well mixed and the "egg mixture" reaches a dense liquid form.
Combining Your Ingredients and Baking Your Casserole
- Mix your Egg Mixture and Spinach: In a large bowl, combine the egg mixture and chopped spinach. Mix well to make sure that both ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Pour the Mixture into the Casserole Dish: Transfer the tofu "egg" mixture into the casserole dish, distributing it evenly.
- Add your sautéed Vegetables: Spread the sautéed vegetables evenly over the egg and spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle Vegan Cheese: To add a layer of flavor and texture, sprinkle the vegan shredded cheese on top of the casserole.
- Bake your Casserole: Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until the casserole is set and the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Let it Cool: Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together and make the casserole easier to cut and serve. Enjoy your delicious vegan breakfast casserole!
Tips For Making the Best Vegan Breakfast Casserole Every Single Time
Blend for a smoother texture: The recipe calls for blending the tofu and other ingredients in a food processor to create a dense liquid "egg mixture." This step helps to achieve a smoother and more uniform texture. If you don't have a food processor, you can still crumble the tofu and mix it with the other ingredients manually, but the texture may be slightly different.
Customize your vegetables: You can customize the vegetable selection based on your preferences or what you have available. Feel free to add or substitute other vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or broccoli.
Add flour for a firmer texture: If you want to achieve a firmer texture, you can add three tablespoons of flour into the tofu mixture.
Adjust seasoning for taste: Adjust the seasoning according to your taste preferences. You can add herbs or spices such as dried basil, thyme, or paprika to enhance the flavor of the dish.
Make sure that the casserole is fully set: Make sure the casserole is fully set and the cheese is melted and slightly golden before removing it from the oven. Baking times may vary, so keep an eye on the casserole as it cooks.
Let it cool before serving: Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving to allow it to set and make it easier to handle.
- Kickstart your day with this hearty vegan breakfast casserole, paired with a side of fresh fruit salad. The sweetness of the fruit perfectly compliments the savory flavors of the casserole for a balanced breakfast.
- For a brunch gathering, serve this vegan breakfast casserole with a selection of hot sauces. Guests can customize the heat level to their liking, adding an interactive element to your meal.
- If you're a fan of sweet and savory breakfasts, serve this casserole alongside some gluten-free pancakes or waffles. The contrasting flavors make for a delicious and satisfying meal.
- Enjoy a slice of this casserole with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice or a hot cup of herbal tea. The refreshing beverage will cleanse your palate and enhance the flavors of the casserole.
- For a complete holiday breakfast, pair this vegan breakfast casserole with vegan sausages and hash browns. The combination of these dishes will leave you satisfied and ready to celebrate the day.
- If you're in a hurry, serve a slice of this casserole with a handful of tater tots. This quick and easy combo makes a fulfilling breakfast on the go.
- For a light lunch option, serve a slice of this casserole with a side of mixed greens. The freshness of the salad balances out the hearty flavors of the casserole.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Vegan Breakfast Casserole
This delicious savory breakfast casserole recipe is so flavorful and easy to make, you'll want to try out some of these delicious variations! Here are some great ideas:
- Go Gluten-Free: For those following a gluten-free diet, this variation is ideal. Replace the soy sauce with tamari or a gluten-free soy sauce. You can also add gluten-free flour to the tofu "egg mixture" for a firmer texture.
- Boost the Veggie: If you're looking to add more vegetables to your diet, this variation is perfect. Add extra veggies like red bell pepper, yellow onion, and sweet potatoes to the mix. These vegetables not only add color but also enhance the flavor of the casserole.
- Make it Cheesy: For vegan cheese lovers, this variation is a must-try. Double the quantity of vegan shredded cheese in the recipe and sprinkle some on top before baking. The melted vegan cheese adds a creamy texture and boosts the taste of the casserole. You can even go for dairy-free cheddar!
- Add Vegan Sausage: If you're missing the taste of meat, try this variation. Add vegan breakfast sausage to the recipe for a hearty and satisfying flavor. This will make the casserole even more filling, perfect for a hearty brunch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. If you prefer a different protein source, you can substitute it with chickpea flour or any other vegan-friendly protein. However, the texture and taste might vary.
Not at all. The recipe calls for spinach, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and mushrooms, but you can customize the vegetable selection based on your preferences or what you have available. Bell peppers, onions, or broccoli would also be great additions.
If you want a firmer texture, you can add about three tablespoons of flour to the tofu mixture. This should give your casserole a more solid structure.
Absolutely! Feel free to adjust the seasoning according to your taste preferences. Adding herbs or spices such as dried basil, thyme, or paprika can enhance the flavor of the dish.
You'll know the casserole is done when it is fully set, and the cheese is melted and slightly golden. Remember, baking times may vary, so keep an eye on the casserole as it cooks.
How to Store Leftover Vegan Breakfast Casserole
Storing leftover vegan breakfast casserole is a breeze, and it is a great way to have a ready-to-go, hearty breakfast for the following days. Here's how:
Refrigerating: Once the casserole has cooled down, you can cover the baking dish with some foil or transfer the leftovers to an airtight container. The vegan breakfast casserole will keep well in the refrigerator for about three to four days. It’s great for meal prep!
Reheating: When you're ready to enjoy the casserole again, simply preheat your oven to about the same temperature you baked the casserole initially. Cover the casserole with foil to prevent it from drying out, and reheat for about fifteen minutes, or until it is heated through. If you're reheating a smaller portion, a microwave will work just fine. Remember to always check the temperature before eating.
Freezing: The vegan breakfast casserole is freezer-friendly. To freeze leftovers, let the casserole cool completely, then cut it into individual servings. Wrap each serving tightly in foil or plastic wrap, then place them in airtight freezer bags. The frozen casserole can keep for up to three months. To reheat, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before following the reheating instructions above.
Thawing: If you've frozen your casserole, it is best to let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before you plan to eat it. This will help it reheat evenly and maintain its texture.
Try These Breakfast Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Vegan Breakfast Casserole
For the “egg” mixture with tofu
- 3 cups spinach chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms halved
- 7 ounces vegan cheese shredded
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a casserole dish.
- In a mixing bowl, crumble the extra firm tofu using your hands or a fork.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Pour the tofu (crumbled), water, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, onion powder and garlic powder in a food processor and blend until all the ingredients are well blended and the “egg mixture” reaches a dense liquid form.
- in a large bowl mix the egg mixture and chopped spinach and mix well both ingredients.
- Pour the tofu "egg" mixture into the casserole dish, distributing it evenly.
- Spread the vegetables evenly over the egg and spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle the vegan shredded cheese on top of the casserole.
- Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until the casserole is set and the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Iryna Bychkiv is the founder and writer of the culinary website Lavender & Macarons, where she shares clean, European-inspired recipes that are delicious, easy to prepare, and made with wholesome ingredients. Iryna loves creating meals that are simple yet healthy and unique, including vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Iryna is also a freelance writer for MSN and Associated Press Wire.