This Brandy Snaps recipe will give you a classic English dessert with a lacy texture and a delicious, delicate crunch! They’re filled with whipped cream and also vegan! It’s the perfect recipe for Christmas baking and has that beautiful crispy texture and sweet, buttery flavor we all love!
Brandy snaps are a classic British dessert that's surprisingly easy to make at home. They're perfect for a sweet snack or as an elegant dessert for dinner parties. While the name includes ‘brandy,’ they’re actually alcohol-free!
This brandy snaps recipe is unique in that it uses vegan-friendly ingredients without compromising on taste or texture. Whether you're vegan or not, you'll appreciate the versatility of this recipe.
You can customize your Brandy snaps with different fillings, from whipped and sweetened coconut cream to your favorite vegan cream, making this recipe a great addition to your baking recipe collection!
Read on to learn exactly how to make this delicious brandy snaps recipe today!
- What are Brandy Snaps?
- Why This Is The Best Brandy Snaps Recipe
- What You Need to Make Brandy Snaps At Home
- How to Make Brandy Snaps Step by Step
- Tips For Making the Best Brandy Snaps
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Brandy Snaps
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Brandy Snaps
- More Christmas Baking Recipes
What are Brandy Snaps?
Brandy snaps are a delicious and classic British dessert that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. This recipe involves creating delicate, crisp cookies made from a mixture of butter, brown sugar, golden syrup, and flour, and often flavored with a hint of ground ginger and lemon zest.
Once baked to a perfect golden brown, these thin cookies are rolled into a tube shape, creating the perfect vessel for a dollop of whipped cream.
Although the name includes ‘brandy’ the cookies don’t have any alcohol in them. The name ‘brandy’ refers to ‘branded’ as in burnt which refers to their beautiful golden brown color.
The taste of these Brandy snaps is absolutely divine, with the sweet, caramel-like flavor of the cookies perfectly complimented by the lightness of the whipped cream. Whether you're making them for a special occasion or as a treat for yourself, these Brandy snaps are sure to bring a smile to your face.
Why This Is The Best Brandy Snaps Recipe
Quick: No need to spend hours in the kitchen. These brandy snaps take just about ten minutes in the oven to turn golden brown. And the shaping process is a quick and fun activity that even kids can take part in.
Family favorite: The deliciously crunchy texture and the sweet taste of these brandy snaps make them a hit with both adults and kids alike. They are perfect for Christmas baking and are sure to become a family favorite!
Versatile: These brandy snaps are versatile and can be filled with whipped cream, sweetened coconut cream, or any other filling of your choice. You can also add a sprinkle of lemon zest or ground ginger to the mixture for an extra kick.
Crowd pleaser: These brandy snaps are not just delicious but also visually appealing. Whether you're hosting a party or a family gathering, these cookies are guaranteed to please the crowd. Plus, they're vegan and alcohol-free, making them suitable for everyone.
What You Need to Make Brandy Snaps At Home
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this delicious brandy snaps recipe at home.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
Coconut Sugar: This ingredient adds a sweet and slightly caramel-like flavor to the brandy snaps. It also gives the cookies a beautiful golden brown color when baked.
Unsalted Vegan Butter: The butter in this recipe provides a rich, buttery flavor and is essential for the crisp, delicate texture of the brandy snaps. Using unsalted butter allows you to control the amount of salt in the recipe.
Molasses: This gives the brandy snaps their signature deep, rich flavor. It also contributes to the cookies' chewy texture.
Maple Syrup: It sweetens the brandy snaps while also adding a hint of maple flavor. It also helps to make the cookies crispy when baked.
All-Purpose Flour: This is the foundation of the brandy snaps. It gives the cookies their structure and helps them hold their shape when baked.
Powdered Ginger: This adds a warm, spicy flavor to the brandy snaps. It is a classic ingredient in traditional brandy snaps recipes.
Lemon or Lime Juice: A touch of acidity from lemon or lime juice helps to balance out the sweetness of the cookies. It also adds a subtle tangy flavor.
How to Make Brandy Snaps Step by Step
Making this incredible brandy snaps recipe at home is super easy and will give you great results every single time. Here's how to make it step by step:
1. Mix and simmer
Combine the vegan butter, sugar, molasses, and maple syrup and bring to a simmer. Keep stirring until the sugar dissolves.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients
Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the flour, ginger, and lime juice.
Place a heaping teaspoon of mixture on your baking sheet or prepared baking tray, making 4 piles. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Roll into tubes
Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let the Brandy Snaps cool for just a minute. You'll need to work fast after they have cooled a little, since the cooler they get, the harder they will be to shape.
Using a handle of a round wooden spoon or a can opener, lift each tube off the parchment paper (you can use a fish or crepe spatula for that) and roll it around the handle seam side down. Let them cool for a minute, then gently slide the tube off the handle.
5. Cool and fill
Once Brandy Snaps are cool, you can fill them with whipped and sweetened coconut cream or any other filling you’d like!
Tips For Making the Best Brandy Snaps
Preheat the oven: Before starting the recipe, preheat your oven to the recommended temperature. This helps guarantee a consistent baking environment for your brandy snaps and aids in achieving the perfect golden brown color.
Work quickly after baking: Once the brandy snaps are out of the oven, time is of the essence. The cookies need to be shaped into tubes while still warm, as they harden and become difficult to manipulate as they cool.
Use the right tool for shaping: A round wooden spoon handle or a can opener is ideal for shaping the brandy snaps into tubes. Using the right tool guarantees that your snaps have a uniform shape and size.
- For a delightful afternoon tea, serve these brandy snaps with a pot of your favorite brew. The sweetness of the cookies pairs beautifully with a robust black tea or a calming herbal infusion.
- Turn your brandy snaps into a gourmet dessert by pairing them with a scoop of vegan ice cream. The cool, creamy texture of the ice cream contrasts wonderfully with the crispy, sweet brandy snaps.
- For a festive treat during the holiday season, fill your brandy snaps with a spiced whipped cream. Add a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, or even a touch of brandy to your whipped cream for an extra kick.
- If you're a chocolate lover, drizzle some melted dark chocolate over your brandy snaps. The rich, bitter tones of the chocolate balance out the sweetness of the cookies, creating a delicious dessert.
- Brandy snaps also make a fantastic addition to a dessert platter. Arrange them with an assortment of fresh fruits, chocolates, and cheeses for a sophisticated end to a dinner party.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Brandy Snaps
This delicious brandy snaps recipe is so flavorful and easy to make you'll want to try out some of these delicious variations! Here are some great ideas:
Go Gluten-Free: If you're on a gluten-free diet, you can still enjoy these delightful brandy snaps. Simply swap the plain flour in the recipe with a gluten-free flour blend. You'll still get the same crispy texture and delicious taste.
Add a Citrus Twist: For a refreshing twist, add an extra teaspoon of lemon zest into the mixture. This will give your brandy snaps a zesty punch that compliments the sweetness of the molasses and maple syrup.
Brandy Snap Baskets: Instead of rolling your brandy snaps into tubes, drape them over an upside-down muffin tin immediately after they come out of the oven to create cute little baskets. Once cooled, you can fill them with whipped cream and fresh fruits for a fun and elegant dessert.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, despite the name, these Vegan Brandy Snaps are alcohol-free, making them suitable for all ages and dietary preferences.
Once the Brandy Snaps are removed from the oven, let them cool for a minute. Then, using a handle of a wooden spoon or a can opener, lift each one off the parchment paper and roll it around the handle. Allow them to cool for a minute, and then gently slide the tube off the handle. Let it cool properly on a cooling rack or wire rack for a few minutes.
If the Brandy Snaps crumble or fall apart during the shaping process, you can put them back in the oven for another minute. This will soften them, making it easier to shape them into a tube.
How to Store Leftover Brandy Snaps
When you're done enjoying your brandy snaps, store any leftovers in an airtight container. This will keep them fresh and prevent them from absorbing any other flavors in your fridge.
If you've already filled your snaps with whipped cream, it is best to consume them within a day as the cream can make the snaps soggy over time.
If you want to enjoy your brandy snaps warm, preheat your oven to a low setting. Place the brandy snaps on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and heat for a few minutes until they're warmed through. Be careful not to leave them in the oven too long, as they can quickly turn from golden brown to burnt.
Unfortunately, brandy snaps don't fare well in the freezer. The high moisture content in the cookies can lead to a soggy texture when thawed.
More Christmas Baking Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Vegan Brandy Snaps
- Preheat the oven to 355º F and line a baking dish with a parchment paper.
- In a pot, combine vegan butter, sugar, molasses and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer. Stir until sugar dissolves, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in flour, ginger and lemon or lime juice.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of mixture on a parchment paper four times (to make 4 cookies) and bake for 10 minutes. (You can work in batches or place more than 4 teaspoons on the baking sheet, just as long as they are spaced out and do not touch.)
- Remove from the oven and let Brandy Snaps cool for a minute. (From here, you need to work fast as the more Brandy Snaps cool, the more difficult it will be to shape them into a tube.)
- Using a handle of a round wooden spoon or a can opener, lift each tube off the parchment paper (you can use a fish or crepe spatula for that) and roll it around the handle seam side down. Allow them to cool for a minute and then gently slightly slide the tube off the handle.
- Once Brandy Snaps are cool, you can fill them with whipped and sweetened coconut cream or any other filling you’d like.
Iryna Bychkiv is the founder and writer of the culinary website Lavender & Macarons, where she shares clean, European-inspired recipes that are delicious, easy to prepare, and made with wholesome ingredients. Iryna loves creating meals that are simple yet healthy and unique, including vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Iryna is also a freelance writer for MSN and Associated Press Wire.