This yummy White Chicken Chili is made with Ground Chicken, Sour Cream and ready to be served in just 40 minutes. This easy and hearty soup recipe will keep you full and satisfied for hours. Perfect recipe for busy weeknight dinners.
See also my Award-Winning Chili and Crockpot Chili recipe.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence that upon arrival of a cold weather, my most visited blog pages become soup recipes.
Unlike anything else, homemade soup is perfect when you want something warm and filling in a flash.
Traditional Chili has been a well respected player on our table for years. But let’s be real, it takes some time to make.
White Chili, on the other hand, features all the beautiful flavors of a classic Chili but with a cooking time cut in half. This makes White Chili a great option for fall and winter dinner.
In addition, Chili has always been a crowd-pleasing soup, so it’s perfect to serve for parties or holidays.
Few things that make this White Chicken Chili with sour cream extra special:
- in this recipe I used ground chicken. It’s so easy to cook it – you just brown it up, and it’s good to go. You can substitute ground chicken with ground turkey, beef or Italian sausage;
- smoked paprika. It’s a must in all Chili recipes;
- sour cream. My Ukrainian heritage dictates me to use sour cream in everything and Chili is no exception. Thanks to its rich creamy taste, sour cream balances out the spiciness in this recipe making it even more delicious.
How to make this Chili With Sour Cream Keto and Low Carb friendly?
If you’re following Low Carb or Keto diet, simply skip the flour and mash 1 can of Cannelini beans with a potato masher. Add it to a soup. This will give Chili more thickness.
How to make it less spicy?
Start with adding just 1/8 tsp of Cayenne pepper. Give everything a stir and try the soup. If you think it needs more kick, add 1/8 tsp more.
A little of Cayenne pepper goes a long way, so be careful not to overdo with it.
What to you put on top of Chili?
- shredded cheese like Mexican blend or Cheddar
- cubed avocado pieces
- tortilla chips
- chopped cilantro
Can you freeze White Chicken Chili?
Yes you can freeze White Chicken Chili. But due to dairy ingredients not doing well during freezing, I suggest you do so before you add sour cream. Just reserve the portion of a soup that you’re planning to freeze and let it cool. (After that you can finish up cooking the remaining Chili and add sour cream).
Distribute Chili among 4 Quart freezer friendly zipper bags (these are my favorite non-toxic freezer bags) and lay them flat in the freezer.
When ready to defrost, simply add frozen Chili to a small pot, simmer until it’s melted, add sour cream and cook on a medium-low heat for another 5 minutes. Serve!
You’ll also enjoy these quick and cozy soups for winter
White Chili With Ground Chicken And Sour Cream Recipe
- 1 1/4 lb ground chicken you can also use ground turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely minced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans white beans Cannellini or Great Northern Beans
- 8 oz (2 4-oz cans) Green Chiles mild
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp Chili powder
- 4-5 c chicken broth
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Add ground chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until it's brown on the sides making sure to break large chunks with a wooden spoon. Transfer ground chicken to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and stir in onion, carrot, garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir in flour and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, beans, chiles, cooked ground chicken, smoked paprika, chili powder, Cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and 4 cups of chicken broth.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to a medium low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile remove 1 tablespoon of broth from the pot with soup and mix it with sour cream. Add diluted sour cream in Chili, give everything a nice stir and cook for another 5 minutes. If Chili comes out too thick, you can add the remaining 1 cup of broth.
- To serve - ladle the soup into the bowls, top with cubed avocado, sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese and cilantro.