This Soupe Au Pistou or Provencal Vegetable Soup is refreshing, healthy and delicious. Great for lunch or light dinner.
Soupe Au Pistou
I don't know about you, but I'm a soup person regardless of the season.
Although in winter I love the coziness of thick and hearty soups with beans and split pies.
In summer though, I prefer lighter soups, the ones that incorporate lots of seasonal vegetables and are easy on the waistline.
One recipe that is absolutely perfect for when it's warm outside is French Pistou Soup. It's a very versatile French dish and many places prepare it differently.
You can use any garden veggies that you have on hands, top the soup with a pesto-like sauce, which is "French Pistou" and call it Soup Au Pistou.
Low Calorie Veggetable Soup
Today, I'll show you my version of this incredible easy, low calorie veggie soup. It's delicious and absolutely needs to be on your spring and summer menu.
For my Pistou soup recipe I've made a different kind of pesto. Despite that basil is a most commonly used pesto ingredient, this time I used dill, garlic and olive oil.
I think it turned out refreshingly delicious.
If you don't have dill, you can use other herbs or greens, such as parsley, spinach or arugula.
If you want more French-inspired soup recipes, try my Easy French Onion Soup. It's amazingly delicious!
Soupe Au Pistou
For the soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 medium potato diced
- 1 medium parsnip diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth* see Note 1
- 1 c frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese if not vegan
To make Pistou Soup
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and sauté for 4-5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Stir in potatoes, celery, parsnip, tomato, zucchini and continue sautéing for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add broth, salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Soup should be quite thick.
- Add frozen peas and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Ladle soup into the bowls, top with a tablespoon of dill pesto and sprinkle with grated Parmesan if desired.
To make dill pesto
- In a small bowl, mix together chopped dill, garlic, olive oil and salt to taste.
If you make this recipe, don't forget to snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons. I'd love to see your creations.
I'd love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on: