This Skillet Breakfast Potatoes recipe brings the classic diner-style home fries right to your kitchen table. Ready in just 25 minutes, these warm, crispy potatoes with perfectly browned edges and a dash of simple seasonings require only 5 ingredients to make.
Start your day with a hearty serving of my homemade diner-style skillet breakfast potatoes. Prepped the night before, these delicious home fries are ready to serve in no time, making your morning meal a breeze!
If you enjoy our Skillet Breakfast Potatoes, we have other delicious recipes you might like. My Vegan Breakfast Casserole is a flavorful and filling option, while this Vegan Avocado Sandwich offers a light and creamy alternative for your morning meal.
Why This Is The Best Skillet Breakfast Potatoes Recipe
- Convenient: This recipe is incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple steps, you'll have a delicious breakfast ready in just 25 minutes.
- Delicious: The combination of crispy potatoes, fresh rosemary, and savory avocado oil creates a taste that is simply irresistible.
- Classic Flavors: This recipe uses classic ingredients like potatoes and rosemary, creating a familiar and comforting flavor profile.
- Family Favorite: This dish is a hit with both kids and adults alike, making it a go-to recipe for family breakfasts.
- Crowd Pleaser: Whether you're hosting a brunch or a casual get-together, these skillet breakfast potatoes are guaranteed to please your guests.
- Comfort Food: There's something incredibly comforting about a skillet full of crispy,
Here's an overview of some key ingredients for this recipe. For the full list of ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
- Gold or Russet Potatoes: These types of potatoes are starchy and perfect for roasting; they will give your dish a fluffy interior and a crispy exterior.
- Avocado Oil: This oil is used for its high smoke point and health benefits, it guarantees that the potatoes roast evenly without burning and adds a subtle, buttery flavor.
- Fresh Rosemary or Dried: Rosemary is a fragrant herb that adds a wonderful aroma and flavor to the potatoes, fresh gives a more vibrant taste while dried is more concentrated and robust.
How to Make Skillet Breakfast Potatoes
Making this incredible skillet breakfast potatoes recipe at home is super easy and will give you great results every single time. Here's how to make it step by step:
- Chop the potatoes: On a cutting board, cut the potatoes into ¼-inch pieces. Be sure to keep them uniform for even cooking.
- Heat the skillet: Pour some avocado oil into a medium-cast iron skillet and place it over medium-high heat.
- Start frying the potatoes: Once the oil is heated, add the potatoes in a single layer. Cover the skillet with a lid, and let the potatoes cook for about 5 minutes without stirring. This helps the potatoes get a nice crisp.
- Add the seasonings: Remove the lid from the skillet, and sprinkle the potatoes with some salt, pepper, and rosemary. These ingredients will enhance the flavors of your breakfast potatoes.
- Stir the potatoes: Using a metal spatula, stir the potatoes gently, making sure to lift them from the bottom of the skillet. This will help to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Continue cooking the potatoes: Let the potatoes cook for another 10-15 minutes or until they’re fork tender and crispy on the sides, stirring every 5 minutes. If necessary, add more oil to the skillet to prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- Serve the breakfast potatoes: Once the potatoes are cooked to your liking, remove them from the skillet and serve immediately. These skillet breakfast potatoes make a great side dish for any breakfast meal.
For a full list of ingredients and instructions, see the recipe card below.
Tips For Making the Best Skillet Breakfast Potatoes
- Choose the right potatoes: For this recipe, you can use either Yukon golds or russets. Both have a great taste and texture that work well for home fries.
- Properly cut your potatoes: Cutting your potatoes into ¼ inch pieces helps guarantee that they cook evenly and become fork-tender without burning.
- Use a cast iron skillet: A cast iron skillet is perfect for frying breakfast potatoes. It heats evenly and gives the potatoes a nice, crisp exterior.
- Don't stir immediately: After adding the potatoes to the pan, let them cook for 5 minutes without stirring. This allows them to develop a nice crust.
- Adjust the heat: Cook your potatoes over medium high heat. This will help guarantee that they cook through without burning. If necessary, you can lower the heat as the potatoes cook.
- Use enough oil: Make sure to use enough oil in your skillet. This will prevent the potatoes from sticking and help them get that delicious, crispy exterior.
- For a hearty breakfast, serve these skillet breakfast potatoes with a side of scrambled eggs and crispy bacon. The creamy eggs and salty bacon complement the crisp and flavorful potatoes perfectly.
- If you're in the mood for a savory brunch, pair these breakfast potatoes with a juicy chicken sausage. The robust flavors of the sausage and the subtle taste of the potatoes make for a satisfying meal.
- These skillet breakfast potatoes also make a great side dish for a steak dinner. The fork-tender steak and the crisp potatoes offer a variety of textures and flavors that are sure to please.
- For a vegetarian twist, serve these breakfast potatoes with a medley of sautéed bell peppers and onions. The sweetness of the vegetables pairs well with the savory potatoes.
Recipe Variation Ideas
- Bacon and Onion: For a savory twist on this breakfast potatoes recipe, try adding some chopped bacon and yellow onion. Fry the bacon in the pan until it is crisp, then add the onion and continue frying until it is translucent. The bacon adds a smoky flavor and extra crunch, while the onion gives a sweet and savory taste that compliments the potatoes perfectly.
- Herb and Garlic: If you're a fan of aromatic flavors, this variation is for you. Simply add a teaspoon of garlic powder and a tablespoon of fresh herbs like thyme to the potatoes. The garlic powder enhances the taste of the potatoes, while the fresh thyme adds a fragrant, earthy flavor that makes this dish even more delicious.
- Spicy Sausage and Bell Peppers: For a hearty and spicy version of this dish, add some chopped sausage and red bell pepper. Cook the sausage in the pan until it is browned, then add the bell pepper and continue cooking until it's soft. The sausage adds a spicy twist and extra protein, while the bell pepper adds a sweet and tangy flavor and a pop of color.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use either 2 lbs of Yukon gold potatoes or russet potatoes for this recipe. Both types of potatoes have a great taste and texture that work well in this dish.
On a cutting board, cut the potatoes into ¼ inch pieces. This size guarantees that the potatoes will cook evenly and become perfectly fork-tender.
Absolutely! Feel free to add ingredients like onions, bell peppers, bacon, or sausage to enhance the flavors. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time as needed.
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerate: Leftover breakfast potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3–4 days. Make sure that the potatoes have cooled down before refrigerating to maintain their crisp texture.
Reheat Instructions: To reheat, place the potatoes in a pan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until they regain their crispness and are heated through. You can also reheat them in the oven at 375°F for about 10–15 minutes.
Freezing: Unfortunately, due to the high water content in potatoes, freezing is not recommended for this recipe. The texture of the potatoes can become mushy and unappetizing after thawing.
You'll Also Enjoy These Potato Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Skillet Breakfast Potatoes (Diner-Style Home Fries)
- On a cutting board, cut the potatoes into ¼ inch pieces.
- Heat avocado oil in a medium cast iron skillet and over medium-heat heat. Add the potatoes in one layer, cover with a lid, and cook for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove the lid, add salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- Stir the potatoes, lifting them from the bottom with a metal spatula.
- Cook the potatoes for 10-15 more minutes or until they’re tender and crispy on the sides, stirring every 5 minutes. If necessary, add more oil to the skillet.
- Remove potatoes from the skillet and serve immediately.
Iryna Bychkiv is the founder and writer of the culinary website Lavender & Macarons, where she shares clean, European-inspired recipes that are delicious, easy to prepare, and made with wholesome ingredients. Iryna loves creating meals that are simple yet healthy and unique, including vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Iryna is also a freelance writer for MSN and Associated Press Wire.