Healthy Broccoli Veggie Soup that is brimming with delicious flavor. A bowl of this soup is great for lunch or dinner. If you’re looking for hearty, easy soup that is loaded with vegetables, this recipe is for you!
Do you love cozy vegetables soups?
I have an amazing recipe to share with you today.
Broccoli is one of the most nutritious vegetables, with vitamins and minerals packed into every bite.
Squeeze the fresh flavor of broccoli into your everyday meals with this simple broccoli veggie soup without tomatoes.
💭 Here's Why This Broccoli Vegetable Soup Recipe works
- healthy. Broccoli, which is the main ingredient of this simple vegetable soup is literally packed with nutrients. Just 1 cup of broccoli has almost the same amount of Vitamin C as a cup of oranges. We all need this antioxidant to protect our body cells from damage. In addition, broccoli is a wonderful source of Calcium, Iron and Phosphorus as well as Sulfaraphane which neutralizes toxins and might reduce the inflammation in the body.
- simple. The ingredients are very simple and you might already have them in your fridge. This colorful Broccoli Veggie Soup is perfect for cleaning out the fridge.
- easy. This vibrant and delicious vegetable soup with carrot and corn cooks fast and easy. It's great as a meal starter or light yet healthy dinner.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
- broccoli. When buying fresh broccoli, look for bright green florets with firm stems. Don't buy a broccoli that has yellow or brown spots, because it is a sign of aging.
- avocado oil. You don't necessarily have to use avocado oil. Extra virgin olive oil is also a good choice. I love using avocado oil for cooking because it is a good source of monounsaturated fat which is linked to lower cholesterol and blood pressure. In addition, avocado oil is suitable for high heat cooking. (Make sure it says so on the label.) You can find avocado oil in any grocery store in the Cooking Oils aisle.
- potatoes. In this Broccoli vegetable soup, you can also use Yukon gold potatoes;
- frozen corn. Fresh corn kernels are also fine.
🔪 How to make Broccoli Vegetable Soup
- Sauté the onion and carrot for the broccoli veggie soup. Heat avocado oil in a medium sauté pan and over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and sauté stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Add garlic and stir for 30 more seconds.
- Cook the potatoes. Meanwhile, add a vegetable broth to a large stock pot or Dutch oven and bring it to a boil. Add cubed potatoes, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli and finish cooking. Add broccoli florets to a pot with potatoes along with the red bell pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, corn and salt. Give it a stir and cook the broccoli vegetable soup for 10 more minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Serve Broccoli Veggie Soup. Taste the vegetable soup to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Remove soup from the heat and serve with a sprinkling of fresh parsley in each bowl.
👩🏻🍳 Chef's tips to make this Vegetable Soup perfect
It's important not to overcook the vegetables otherwise they will get mushy. Some types of potatoes cook faster than the others so at about 15 minute cooking mark I suggest checking the doneness of the potatoes and broccoli with a knife.
If they're tender, remove broccoli vegetable soup with corn and carrot from the heat and serve.
📖 Recipe Variations
This simple but delicious Broccoli Veggie Soup without tomatoes can be customized in a variety of ways.
To make this vegetable soup even healthier, you can add the following vegetables and herbs:
- celery. Add one stalk of chopped celery and sauté it together with the onion and carrot;
- green beans/cauliflower. Make sure to snip the green beans tough ends and cut them into smaller pieces. As for the cauliflower, cut it into the smaller florets, the same size as you cut the broccoli. Add 1 cup green beans/cauliflower them to a broccoli vegetable soup at the same time as broccoli;
- fresh or frozen peas. These are fantastic for adding a plant-based protein to this vegan broccoli vegetable soup. Peas generally cook very fast, 1 minute for fresh peas and 2-3 minutes for frozen peas. You can use 1-2 cups of peas.
- zucchini. Add 1 cup of chopped zucchini in the last 10 minutes of cooking;
- spinach, kale. For an added texture and nutrition, add 3 cups of these leafy greens in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- thyme. It adds an earthy and woodsy flavor to the broccoli vegetable soup. You can use fresh or dried thyme. It can replace the oregano in the recipe.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
Frozen broccoli is acceptable, however it cooks faster than fresh broccoli. Make sure not to overcook it, 6-8 minutes should be enough.
If you prefer a thicker texture of a broccoli vegetable soup, you can use an immersion blender to puree a part or all of a soup.
Adding more ingredients like potatoes, green beans or cauliflower will fix the soup that is too watery.
In addition, you can make a mixture of 1-2 teaspoon of cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of water and add it to as soup. This will help to thicken it as well.
🌡️ How to store Broccoli Vegetable Soup
Store the leftovers of this simple Broccoli vegetable soup with corn and carrots covered in the refrigerator where it will keep for about 3-4 days.
This healthy vegetable soup without tomatoes can also be frozen. Please note, that potatoes when frozen might absorb moisture from soup and become a bit grainy. This, however, doesn't affect the taste of a soup.
So if you want to make a big batch of soup and freeze it, here's what to do.
First, I recommend to cool the vegetable soup completely. Then distribute it between freezer-safe bags, lay flat in a freezer and store for up to 3 months.
Defrost the broccoli vegetable soup overnight in a refrigerator and then warm in a microwave or in the stovetop.
🍲 Similar Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
For a quick overview of the recipe, please check out Simple Broccoli Vegetable Soup web-story.
Broccoli Veggie Soup Without Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ medium yellow onion minced
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 c vegetable broth
- 1 lb potatoes about 5 potatoes
- 1 ½ lb bunch broccoli cut into florets
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 c frozen corn
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
Sauté the onion and carrot for the broccoli veggie soup.
- Heat avocado oil in a medium sauté pan and over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and sauté stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Add garlic and stir for 30 more seconds.
Cook the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, add a vegetable broth to a large stock pot or Dutch oven and bring it to a boil. Add cubed potatoes, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
Add broccoli and finish cooking.
- Add broccoli florets to a pot with potatoes along with the bell pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, corn and salt. Give it a stir and cook the broccoli vegetable soup for 10 more minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked.
Serve Broccoli Veggie Soup.
- Taste the vegetable soup to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Remove soup from the heat and serve with a sprinkling of fresh parsley in each bowl.
Loved it and so did my guest! Will keep recipe as a staple.
Sue, thank you so much for your comment and a 5-star rating! I'm happy you and your guests enjoyed this recipe.
I've made it. So simple, but so tasty! Excellent recipe, thank you!