This Healthy Vegan Potato Salad with cucumber and tomato in a garlicky yogurt sauce is all you need for summer picnics or BBQs. This simple salad is so easy to make and it’s creamy and delicious.
Vegan Potato Salad Recipe
Let’s admit it, Potato Salads are not one of those pretty dishes that you serve in fancy restaurants.
Most often, potatoes salads are not the healthiest either as they’re loaded with mayo and other not so vegan ingredients.
Enter healthy vegan potato salad!
My mom first made it for me for dinner and the salad was so good, I had to double think if there was no mayo indeed.
The secret to this colorful and hearty salad is in the sauce – yogurt sauce.
Because when you combine plant yogurt with some fresh garlic, it instantly gets transformed in a flavorful salad-worthy dressing.
In this recipe I used almond yogurt, but if you have coconut or cashew yogurt, those would be great choices as well.
The Best Veggie Potato Salad
Unlike “traditional” potato salad, my version doesn’t limit itself to just potatoes. I also included cucumbers, tomatoes and quickly seared red onion with bell peppers.
Each one of these ingredients added more texture and flavor to the salad.
Despite that salads with potato are considered a side dish, there’s nothing wrong if you make a big bowl of it and enjoy it as your entree.
One of my favorite things about this mayo-free salad is that it’s made with ingredients we all have in spring and summer months. And if you have your own garden, it’s even better, because you can put all those veggies to a great use.
- Potatoes – red potatoes are better because they’ll hold their shape when cooked. However, if you have yellow potatoes or small baby potatoes, they’ll work here as well;
- Red onion makes this salad even more colorful. And because you cook it, you’re not going to feel a lot of crunch;
- Tomatoes – I used large size tomatoes;
- English cucumber is longer than regular cucumbers. If you don’t have English cucumber, you can use 2 regular size cucumbers;
- Bell Pepper – I used red bell pepper, you can use yellow, green or orange bell pepper;
- Olive Oil – for sautéing the onion and bell pepper. If you follow WHPBNO diet, you can sauté the veggies in a little bit of vegetable broth;
- Plant Yogurt – I made this salad with almond yogurt, but cashew or coconut yogurt will work just as fine;
- Garlic – if you serve this salad to younger kids, add just 2 or 3 garlic cloves. If you feel like the sauce needs more kick, add one more clove;
- Parsley – you can use Italian or curly parsley;
This salad is best when consumed right away.
However, you can cook the potatoes/chop the vegetables and prepare the dressing ahead of time and then store them in a fridge overnight.
Then, when ready to serve, simply mix together chopped vegetables and dressing and enjoy.
Healthy Vegan Potato Salad
- 6 medium potatoes washed
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable broth
- 1 red onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1 English cucumber diced
- 6 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 ½ c almond yogurt cashew or coconut yogurt may be used instead
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely minced or pushed through a garlic press
- salt, pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add potatoes and cook on a medium heat until tender when poked with a knife, about 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes, place them in a cold water to speed up the cooling process. After that, peel them and dice into even cubes.
- While you cook potatoes, heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add onion and and stir for 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer cooked veggies to a paper towel lined plate.
- In a small bowl whisk together yogurt and garlic. Add salt and pepper and to taste.
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber and parsley. Pour over yogurt dressing and mix to combine. Serve immediately.