Smoked Salmon Nicoise Salad is vibrant, festive and so delicious! It’s a perfect summer recipe for dinner or when you have friends over and need to make something quick yet impressive.
Smoked Salmon Salad Nicoise
I always knew and I told this before, that the most delicious European recipes are easy to make. This was one of the reasons in the first place. I’m not a professional cook but recipes that I make are
Salad Nicoise is a traditional French recipe and is quintessential to European cuisine. Originated in the French city of Nice, it has traditionally includes hard-boiled eggs, Niçoise olives, anchovies and olive oil.
One of the main features of French Salad Nicoise is that it is a composed salad, meaning the ingredients are carefully and artfully arranged on a platter.
There have been endless debates as to which ingredients are crucial in a tradition Nicoise. According to traditionalists, classic French Nicoise should never have cooked vegetables and originally it consisted only of tomatoes, anchovies and olive oil.
However, as the recipe gained more popularity around the world, other ingredients started to make their way into the recipe. Nowadays it’s not uncommon to see Nicoise with lettuce, artichoke, peppers or other summer ingredients.
Tuna is also a very popular ingredient, however back in the days it was rather expensive so more affordable anchovies were used.
Nicoise salad is so popular in France and can be found at nearly every brasserie. You can make it as a beautiful appetizer for a crowd or as a healthy protein-packed dinner for summer.
In my case it was latter and me and my husband delightfully chomped on perfectly cooked veggies, smoked salmon and tangy olives. Along with a glass of white wine, it was a perfect meal worths making again.
Now, let me tell you a bit about my special salad vinaigrette. Not to brag, but it’s seriously d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!
I’ve always been a fan of adding anchovies to my recipes, so when traditional Nicoise calls for the anchovies, I incorporate them into the dressing. Add a little balsamic vinegar, olive oil and chopped garlic and you’ll get the most amazing salad dressing ever.
What kind of beans do you choose for Smoked Salmon Nicoise?
French Haricot Verts are best. They are thinner and cook twice as fast as the regular green beens.
I can’t find the Niçoise Olives, what should I use?
That’s okay, I couldn’t find them either. Despite that on the day I was making the recipe, I was shopping at Whole Foods , Nicoise olives were nowhere to be seen.
Kalamata olives are a good substitute. That’s what I used.
To make the most out of your Smoked Salmon Nicoise, pick the freshest and the best ingredients. In summer, hit the streets of your local farmer’s market. Otherwise look for vegetables that are at their best – the ripest and the most flavorful ones.
In this recipe I used cold smoked salmon but hot smoked salmon would work here just as great.
Smoked Salmon Nicoise Salad
- 1 lb red baby potatoes washed
- 4 eggs large
- 7 cherry tomatoes halved
- 8 oz haricot verts trimmed
- 1/2 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 small cucumbers sliced
- 2 handfuls mixed greens
- 4 oz smoked salmon thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- Put potatoes in a medium pot, season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and boil on a medium heat for 10 minutes or until cooked.
- Carefully remove potatoes from the pot, let them cook and cut in half.
- To the same pot add eggs. Cook on a medium heat for 8 minutes. Remove eggs from the pot and place them in a cold water to cool. Once cooled, peel and slice the eggs into 3 pieces.
- Meanwhile, bring a separate small pot of water to a boil. Season it with the remaining 1/4 teaspoons of salt and add haricot verts. Cook them for 4-5 minutes until tender but still bright green. Transfer them into a bowl with ice-cold water.
- On a large platter, carefully arrange mixed greens, followed by potatoes, eggs, haricot verts, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, capers and smoked salmon.Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately!
To make the dressing
- In a small bowl combine anchovies, garlic, vinegar and olive oil. Give everything a nice whisk. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
If you make my Smoked Salmon Nicoise Salad, snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons.
I’d love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on: