Delicious and simple salad of juicy Roasted Bell Peppers, White Beans, a touch of garlic and a sprinkling of blue cheese. Inspired by Bulgarian cuisine, this side dish comes together quickly and easily. Can be served warm or cold.
Roasted Bell Pepper Salad
I love beans in everything but especially in salads. This Roasted Bell Pepper and Cannellini Bean Salad is easy to make and loaded with good stuff.
This recipe is inspired by a delicious Bulgarian cuisine. I had a privilege to try its gastronomical delights on my trip to Bulgarian ski resort. It was awhile ago and although I don’t remember the names of the classic Bulgarian dishes, but everything that I tried was absolutely delicious. Well, just like everything in Europe:)
The great thing about this White Bean Salad is that it can be prepared ahead of time and will last few days in a fridge. Think of it as a lovely accompaniment to your meat dishes like Shashlik. or as a light but satisfying meatless meal.
In addition, you can serve it in sandwiches that you can enjoy for lunch at home or at work.
How to make White Bean Salad with Roasted Bell Peppers?
The preparation of this salad can be a breeze if you use canned Cannellini beans. (See the instructions below how to make this salad with dry beans.)
If you’re using canned beans, the only cooking you have to do is to roast the peppers.
- Preheat the oven to 430 F. Place bell peppers on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes until peppers are soft and charred on all sides.
- Remove peppers from the oven and wrap them in a piece of foil. In 15 minutes, unwrap the peppers and peel off the skin. Now you’ll be able to easily remove the stem, seeds and cut the peppers into thin strips.
While you roast the bell peppers, take a vegetable grater and and grate the tomatoes on a largest holes of a greater. Discard the tomato skin.
Assemble the salad
In a large bowl combine drained and rinsed Cannellini beans, sliced bell peppers, grated tomatoes, garlic pushed through a garlic press, vinegar, olive oil, Cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Mix everything nicely and serve sprinkled with Blue cheese and parsley. Yum!
In my recipe I used 3 garlic cloves, but you can add more if you want.
How to cook dry Cannellini beans?
If you’re using dry beans like I did, you need to soak them in water overnight.
On the next day, drain the water and rinse the beans.
Then, put beans in a large pot and cover by 2 inches with cold water. You need to cook beans on a medium low heat for 60 to 90 minutes until beans are tender. Now all you have to do is rinse beans and they are ready to be used in a salad or other dishes.
More easy and healthy salad recipes for dinner
- Cauliflower Salad with Cucumber and Radishes
- Beets, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad
- Marinated Zucchini Salad
- Watermelon and Tomato Salad
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons.
Roasted Bell Pepper, Cannellini Beans And Blue Cheese Salad
- 1 c dry white beans* (See Note 1) Cannellini beans soaked overnight
- 3 Bell peppers preferably multi-colored bell peppers
- 1 lb tomatoes I used 1 large Heirloom tomato
- 3-4 cloves garlic pushed through a garlic press or thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- ½ c blue cheese crumbled
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
- Fill a large pot with water, add beans and cook on a medium-low heat for 60 to 90 minutes until beans are soft. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 430 F. Place bell peppers on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and roast for 40 minutes until peppers are soft and charred on all sides.
- Remove peppers from the oven and wrap them in a piece of aluminum foil. In 15 minutes, unwrap the peppers and peel off the skin.
- Slice off the top of the bell pepper, remove the stem, seeds and then thinly slice it.
- Grate the tomatoes on the largest holes of a grater over a medium bowl. Discard the skin.
- In a large bowl combine beans, sliced bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, cayenne pepper and salt. Mix everything nicely. Sprinkle with Blue cheese, parsley and serve! (See Note 2)