This easy Chicken Romaine Salad with Honey Caramelised Cashews has all attributes of a healthy and delicious lunch.
Chicken Romaine Salad with Honey Caramelised Cashews
Recently, I’ve caught myself on the idea, that I love to caramelise food. Whether those are nuts or berries, when you caramelise them, you discover absolutely new taste and incredible depth of flavor.
The first time I played with honey caramelisation was in this Bulgur Tabbouleh Salad with Grilled Vegetables. I literally fell in love with slightly toasted honey glazed pistachios. They were so good, I couldn’t stop eating them.
Today’s recipe is a healthy one. If you need a hearty, delicious and full of vitamins meal, this Chicken Romaine Salad is for you. Slightly browned chicken breast in a combination with chock-full of vitamins Romaine salad, bell pepper, lemon marinated onions and honey caramelised cashews gives you a necessary portion of protein and healthy goodness.
- a bunch romaine salad
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup broccoli cut into florets
- 1 chicken breast fillet, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 50 grams raw cashew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ lemon, juiced
- salt, pepper
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat butter and cook chicken until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Bring medium pot of water to a boil, add broccoli and cook on a medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove broccoli with a slotted spoon and plunge immediately in the ice water.
- In a small bowl, place sliced onions, a pinch of salt, add lemon juice and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add cashews. Cook tossing occasionally until lightly golden. Add honey and allow nuts to caramelise tossing regularly to prevent from sticking. After a couple minutes, transfer nuts onto plate.
- Place romaine on a plate, add chicken, marinated onions, bell pepper and broccoli. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and scatter caramelised cashews over the salad.