Smoky grilled vegetables make this bulgur tabbouleh salad a perfect healthy side dish.
Bulgur Tabbouleh Salad With Grilled Vegetables
Lately, I’ve been trying to make new recipes and I’ve heard about this Tabbouleh salad for a long time. It’s one of those popular vegetarian dishes where you mix different grains such bulgur, quinoa or even couscous with lots of fresh or grilled veggies. Simple yet very healthy. What’s most importantly, it’s really easy to make.
Tabbouleh is a traditional Middle Eastern dish, that usually consists of bulgur, tomatoes, parsley and several other vegetables. For a quick side dish, you can prepare bulgur ahead of time, then throw in some fresh chopped vegetables and call it a day. Or, if you have a bit more of a time, you could grill your vegetables and combine with bulgur. This salad makes a perfect side dish, full of incredible smoky rich flavour.
I would say that Tabbouleh is a quite versatile salad. You can even transform it into a main dish by adding in some grilled chicken. Satisfaction guaranteed.
For this recipe, I used my grill pan, which is quite small, so I had to work in batches. But if you have an outdoor grill, it will work even better since it has a large grilling surface and you could grill all veggies at one fell swoop.
- ½ medium eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
- ½ medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- ½ garlic bulb unpeeled
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2 medium shallots, cut in wedges
- 4 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw pistachios, shelled
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup Feta cheese crumbled
- olive oil
- salt, pepper
- 100 grams bulgur
- ½ cup cucumber, cubed
- Cook bulgur according to your packaging instructions.
- Preheat your grill. If using a grill pan, lightly brush it with olive oil and put it on medium high heat.
- Lightly brush eggplant and zucchini will olive oil.
- Season eggplant, zucchini, tomato and shallots with salt and pepper.
- Place seasoned vegetables and garlic bulb on a grill and cook on both sides until nicely charred.
- Transfer grilled vegetables to a cutting board and roughly chop. Squeeze the garlic clove out of its skin.
- In a small pan over medium high heat, toss pistachios until lightly golden. Add in honey and allow pistachios to caramelise, tossing them constantly to prevent from sticking to the pan. Transfer to a chopping board and roughly chop.
- In a large serving bowl, combine cooked bulgur, grilled vegetables, parsley and crumbled Feta cheese. Sprinkle with caramelised pistachios!