If you want to try something new and incredibly delicious this holiday season, try Risalamande. It's a creamy, soft and melt-in-your-mouth Danish rice pudding with almonds and topped with a flavorful cherry sauce.
Without a doubt, Risalamande Recipe is sure to become a beautiful and scrumptious addition to your festive holiday table.
Also see my delicious Vegan Risalamande.
Danish Rice Pudding
As I was browsing the Internet this morning, I realised that many people have already put their Christmas tree up. And although it's not even Thanksgiving yet, everyone's talking about Christmas.
Does it sound like you?
Remember Czech Christmas Cinnamon-Walnut Pastry recipe that I've shared with you a few weeks ago? Well, the recipe has been an absolute hit on Facebook. People are excited to see and try new Christmas recipes.
And guess what?
I'm excited to try them too. As a matter of fact, for the past few weeks I've been on a mission to make and show you some of the most decadent European recipes that you can proudly show off on your holiday table.
One of the recipes that I had on my mind for some time now is Risalamande, which is a traditional Danish Christmas Rice Pudding.
Believe it or not, at first I was hesitant about making Risalamande. I've tried rice puddings before and those were not something I would call a dessert.
But wait until you try this simple yet scrumptious Danish dessert. It is fluffy, creamy and irresistible. Even my picky to unusual recipes husband said "yummy"!
Do you want to know a secret of Risalamande?
The formula is very simple:
Rice + vanilla + whipped cream + almonds + cherry sauce equals lighter than air and the most mouthwatering rice pudding you'll ever try.
Now, I definitely see why Risalamande with cherry sauce is served over Christmas table. It's simple yet beautiful.
Plus, it's very easy to make.
You can actually prepare the rice and cherry syrup the day before. And when it's time to serve, just make the whipped cream, combine with rice and drizzle some cherry sauce on top. Yum!
Scandinavian Rice Pudding
It's interesting to note that Sweden and Norway have their own version of rice pudding. In Sweden it is called Ris à la Malta and in Norway - Riskrem.
Do you want to know the cool tradition about Risalamande?
Danes love to make Risalamande a little bit special. In addition to chopped almonds that they add to the rice and cream mixture, they love to put one whole almond in one of the serving glasses.
Whoever finds the almond is a winner and might get a small gift. Usually, it's a marzipan pig.
Are you interested to make Risalamande yet?
I hope so, my friend! Because it's easy to make and be sure, everyone will love it.
How To Make Risalamande
1. Cooke the rice.
In a medium sauce pan combine rice, water and put it on a medium heat.
When water starts to boil, add milk, vanilla extract, sugar and salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stirring occasionally cook until rice absorbs all water and is soft.
Remove from the heat, stir in chopped almonds and let the rice cool completely.
2. Prepare the cherry sauce.
In a small sauce pan combine frozen cherries, sugar and water. In a separate small bowl dissolve corn starch in lemon juice. When cherries start to boil, add corn starch mixture and cook until the sauce slightly thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Beat the cream.
In a large bowl, combine heavy cream and sugar. Beat it on a medium speed until stiff peaks. Fold whipped cream into the rice and almond mixture.
Now all you have to do is divide room temperature Risalamande among serving glasses and drizzle with a warm flavorful cherry sauce!
Oh, and don't forget to put a whole almond inside of one of the glasses. Your guests and family will be delighted to find it!
More traditional holiday desserts...
Dutch Christmas Log - easy and incredibly yummy puff pastry recipe with almond paste
Stollen - traditional German cake with marzipan and dried fruits
Joulutorttu - classic Finnish Christmas cookies with prune jam
Viennese Cookies - beautiful and easy 5-ingredient cookie recipe perfect for Christmas gift swap
For a quick overview of the recipe, please check out my Risalamande web-stories.
Risalamande (Danish Rice Pudding)
- In a medium sauce pan combine rice, water and put it on a medium heat. When water starts to boil, add milk, vanilla extract, sugar and salt.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stirring occasionally cook until rice absorbs all water and is soft, about 30 minutes. Remove rice from the heat, stir in chopped almonds and let the rice cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine heavy cream and powdered sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream on a medium speed until stiff peaks. Fold whipped cream into the cooled rice and almond mixture.
For the cherry sauce
- In a small sauce pan combine frozen cherries, sugar and water.
- In a separate small bowl dissolve corn starch in lemon juice.
- When cherries start to boil, add corn starch mixture and cook until the sauce slightly thickens, about 3-5 minutes.* (See the notes)
- This step is optional - Place 1 whole almond in one of the serving glasses. (Whoever finds the almond, wins a small prize, usually it's a marzipan pig).
- Spoon a few tablespoons of Risalamande into each serving glass. Drizzle with cherry sauce and sprinkle with some chopped or sliced almonds.
If you make Risalamande recipe, don't forget to snap a photo and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons.
I'll see you soon!
I'd love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on: