Let me introduce you to the Best French Recipes you can make in a comfort of your kitchen. No special skills required. Whether you’re looking for an elegant breakfast idea, appetizer, cozy dinner recipe or cute dessert, this collection of easy and classic French Dishes has something for everyone.
PIN THIS COLLECTION NOW!
French Recipes For Beginners
You know what is my favorite part about cooking French recipes? – is that most of the time they are easy and even beginner cooks can make them at home in no time.
Friends, I don’t know about you, but I have yet to try French recipe that I wouldn’t enjoy. Everything that I’ve had so far tasted amazing. Whether we’re talking about appetizer, main dishes or desserts, one thing is for sure – French cuisine never disappoints.
Today, I’m sharing my favorite French Recipes that are sure to turn a regular meal into a sophisticated feast. You’ll find breakfast ideas that can be made ahead of time, appetizers that are sure to impress, main dishes with comforting flavors and desserts that will make your guests request the recipe.
I broke down this post into 6 main categories for easier navigation: appetizers, breakfast recipes, French soups, sides, main dishes and desserts.
French appetizers are not just finger food that is served before the main meal. Hors d’oeuvres are the necessary part of a French Aperitif – friendly ritual of sipping cocktails, wines or light alcoholic beverages before dinner.
This tradition serves two purposes. First – it relaxes people and alleviates tension and second – it increases their appetite.
- Puff Pastry and Smoked Salmon Vol Au Vents – delicate puff pastry is filled with cream cheese and smoked salmon. For your convenience, I included a step-by-step photo instruction. You’re welcome!
- Tuna Pâté – I love this appetizer with roasted tuna. So good and is sure to make your guests happy!
- Mushroom Pâté – you can make it a day or two before serving and let flavors further develop while you leave it alone in the refrigerator. (recipe from Tasting Page)
- Gougères use a pâte à choux dough that gives them light, doughy, eggy texture. Add Gruyere and Parmesan, pop it in the oven and you have a nice substitute for the dinner roll, or a great appetizer to serve with bubbly and start your evening. (recipe from Tasting Page)
- Baked Camembert with Garlic and Rosemary – one of the easiest yet most crowd pleasing appetisers around ready to be served in just 25 minutes (recipe from Emma Eats And Explores)
French Breakfast Ideas
French breakfast is first of all a creation of a certain mood and atmosphere. From classic French toasts to croissants and sophisticated sandwiches, French people sure know how to start the day off right.
- Stuffed Hot Chocolate French Toast – stuffed with chocolate ganache and coconut cream, this dairy-free recipe is sure to become your favorite decadent breakfast treat
- Oeufs En Cocotte – “shirred eggs” are a classic French breakfast recipe that is sure to impress (recipe from Greedy Gourmet)
- French Croissants – there is no better feeling than the one you will have while biting into a warm flaky buttery homemade croissant fresh from your own oven (recipe from Wild Wild Whisk)
- Croque Madame Sandwich – comforting, decadent, over the top breakfast or brunch sandwiches with a creamy gruyere mornay sauce and sunny side up eggs (recipe from Sweet Tea And Thyme)
- Swiss Chard Quiche – has the most decadently creamy texture and so delicious. It’s the perfect make-ahead breakfast, brunch, or even lunch or dinner served with a side salad (recipe from Bowl Of Delicious)
French Soup Recipes
There is something special and unique about French Soups. They are so flavorful and delicious! No wonder that you’ll find them on the menu of practically any restaurant.
French Soups slightly differ from thick American soups and are mostly clear soups (consomme) or light cream based soups.
- French Onion Soup – the King of all soups is no doubt one of the biggest gems of French cuisine. Minimal ingredients, simple preparation process but so much flavor and taste
- Parmesan Soup is another favorite. Parmesan, Crispy Bacon, Garlicky Croutons – Shall I say more?;)
- Provencal Vegetable Soup is full of hearty vegetables. Delicious soup that is easy on the waistline
- Potato Leek Soup – cozy winter soup that uses basic ingredients and is perfect for lunch or light dinner (recipe from Sabrina Currie)
French Main Dishes
The recipes of French main dishes are not difficult to make but they are always hearty, delicious and sure to impress even the pickiest food critics.
- Mustard Chicken – will knock your socks off. So creamy, the flavor is unforgettable. You’ll want to lick the plate, the sauce is absolutely addictive
- Chicken In Beer Sauce – the chicken is first seared at a high temperature, then finished cooking in a covered pot immersed in beer, with sautéed shallots and mushrooms (recipe from All That’s Jas)
- Meat Stuffed Tomatoes – perfect low carb family casserole dish that is healthy prepared from scratch with whole ingredients (recipe from Masala Herb)
- Chicken Tartiflette – features chunks of rotisserie chicken, potatoes and bacon that are baked with in a creamy Brie sauce. Hearty and delicious for dinner
- Steak Chateaubriand – juicy, flavorful steak ready to be served in 30 minutes or less!
- Moules Marinières – easy and elegant seafood feast that looks impressive as a dinner party recipe but can also be a quick and easy weeknight meal! (recipe from Emma Eats And Explores)
- Savory Crepes With Chicken And Cheese – made with ingredients you already have in your fridge, these traditional French treats will become your family’s favorite comfort food dinner recipe
Potato is one of the most popular vegetables used in French sides. Aside from it, French love vegetable casseroles called Gratin. They are so versatile and can incorporate any type of vegetable.
- Smoked Salmon Nicoise – healthy and delicious salad recipe that features smoked salmon, green beans, potatoes, olives in a tangy anchovy dressing
- Eggplant Gratin – smothered with a special white sauce and topped with a generous layer or Gruyere cheese
- Cauliflower Gratin – creamy, cheesy and such a delicious side dish for dinner or holidays
- Mashed Potatoes With Creme Fraiche – filled with comforting flavors of roasted garlic, this creamy side dish goes with everything
- Potatoes à la Lyonnaise – 5-ingredient versatile side dish perfect for a weeknight meal or special occasions (recipe – SoFabFood)
- French Tian – is a 6-ingredient side dish that only requires 10 minutes prep time. A simple and healthy side dish that pairs beautifully with grilled meat or fish (recipe – SoFabFood)
- Gratin Dauphinois – traditional French potato cheese bake with mild herby flavor (recipe – SoFabFood)
Just like there’s no just one favorite French chicken recipe, it’s impossible to choose what French dessert is the most delicious. They are fancy yet easy, decadent and beautiful. These are the types of desserts that you’ll want to eat all day and every day. Because French desserts are all unique, I broke down this category into 2 sub-categories: cakes and individual desserts.
So, choose a recipe, grab your measuring cups and get baking:)
- Raspberry Crepe Cake – easy yet impressive dessert you can make for any special occasion or just because you crave something sweet
- Dacquoise Cake with Mascarpone Whipped Cream – super delicate layers of almond meringue are filled with mascarpone whipped cream and fresh berries
- Eclair Cake – mouthwatering cake made with real Choux dough and luscious pastry cream
- Bûche de Noël – chocolate cake with a whipped cream filling is rolled and decorated with chocolate bark for a very festive treat (recipe from Culinary Ginger)
- Tart Tatin With Pears – juicy, buttery and delicious dessert made in a skillet
- Pain d’epices – just like gingerbread, this French Spice Cake Recipe is sweet, fluffy and très délicieux (recipe from Wandercooks)
- Blueberry Clafoutis – quick dessert that is easy on the eyes and chock-full of fresh blueberries
- Chocolate Eclairs – the process of making these takes a bit of time but you’ll be rewarded with the creamiest and lighter than air homemade Eclairs
- Raspberry Financiers – super soft and moist French style cupcakes with a delicious brown butter flavor
- Caneles – yummy treat that is crunchy on the outside and custardy on the inside (recipe from Entertaining With Beth)
- Palmiers – crispy little treats made with puff pastry and apples
- Lavender Crème Brûlée – classic French dessert with a mild lavender flavor
- Mini-Eclairs – faster and easier recipe for traditional Eclairs
- Deluxe Pets de Soeur – these easy mini-cinnamon pastry pinwheels are perfect for Christmas and great to have on hand when family and friends would just pop in to say hello (recipe from She Loves Biscotti)