These Baked Mustard Chicken Meatballs feature lightly seared balls of ground chicken, rice and spices baked in a creamy mustard sauce. The recipe makes plenty of meatballs to satisfy your hungry family on busy weeknights.
Baked Chicken Meatballs In A Mustard Sauce
I’ve made chicken meatballs so many times and the more I cook them, the more I start to realize that my favorite ingredient to pair chicken with is mustard.
Despite that many people may find it too acidic and afraid that the dish might end up being too “mustardy”, let me reassure you – that’s not the case with these delicious Baked Mustard Chicken Meatballs.
The amount of mustard that goes into this recipe is very small but it produces a delicate and bold flavor that turns a regular sauce into a sauce you want to serve with everything.
What you can expect from these Chicken Meatballs in a Creamy Mustard Sauce:
- they come together quickly and easily
- baked in the best ever mustard and sour cream sauce
- perfect for hearty family dinner and meal prep
The recipe makes about 30 – 36 small meatballs, so if you think it’s too many to enjoy at once, you can bake the portion of these right away and freeze the remaining formed meatballs for a later use for up to 3 months.
What to serve with Chicken Meatballs
I think Chicken Meatballs go with pretty much everything.
But since they already have rice in them, I would recommend serving these meatballs with a generous dollop of sour cream and a salad or vegetable side, like:
However, if you still prefer serving meatballs with a hearty side, I can’t recommend enough my Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes. These are the BEST mashed potatoes ever and will pair great with Chicken Meatballs in a creamy-dreamy Mustard Sauce.
How to store homemade Mustard Chicken Meatballs
Place the leftovers in a glass storage containers with a lid and store in a fridge for up to 3-4 days.
To reheat, add meatballs in a pan along with a few tablespoons of water. Simmer on a medium-low heat for 7-10 minutes until water evaporates and meatballs are warm.
More Meatballs Recipes you and your family will like:
Baked Mustard Chicken Meatballs
- To a medium pot add uncooked rice along with 1 1/2 cup of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes until water evaporates and rice is soft.
- Remove from the heat, then transfer the rice to a large bowl to cool.
- While rice is cooling down, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in large non-stick pan and over medium heat.
- Add onion and carrot and sauté stirring from time to time for 5-7 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Preheat the oven to 360 F.
- In a bowl with rice add ground chicken, sautéed onion and carrot, thyme, nutmeg, garlic powder, salt, pepper and egg. Mix everything nicely and form 36 meatballs.
- Add flour to a large shallow bowl and dredge meatballs in flour.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick pan and sear the meatballs on both sides for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the meatballs in a large 2.5 qt greased baking dish.* (See the notes)
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients for the mustard sauce and pour it over the meatballs.
- Bake meatballs for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with parsley and serve.