Craving a delicious dish that’s quick and easy to make? This Homemade Pork and Beans recipe is the one for you! With tender chunks of pork shoulder, crispy bacon, and soft navy beans, it’s a dish that's as satisfying as it looks! What’s best is that it’s ready from scratch in just 35 minutes!
Pork and beans is a classic dish that's perfect for those days when you need something comforting and filling. It’s a great dish to prepare at home, thanks to its simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, making it an ideal recipe for both cooking beginners and pros alike.
You’ll end up with perfectly tender pork with the most delicious sauce that’s easily made from scratch. It’s made with ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard, and you’ll end up with a taste that's impossible to resist. It’s the right mix of tangy, sweet, and spicy, all in one! I’m sure this pork dish is about to become your new favorite!
Read on to learn exactly how to make this delicious pork and beans recipe today!
- What are Pork and Beans?
- Why This Is The Best Pork and Beans Recipe
- What You Need to Make Pork and Beans At Home
- How to Make Pork and Beans Step by Step
- Tips For Making the Best Pork and Beans
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Pork and Beans
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Pork and Beans
- Try These Hearty Recipes
What are Pork and Beans?
Pork and beans is a classic comfort food dish that is loved by many. It combines the rich and savory flavors of bacon and pork with the mild taste of beans.
It’s usually cooked in a sauce that is a mixture of sweet and tangy flavors, and that’s exactly what you’ll get with this recipe. Plus, the beans used are typically canned beans, which makes this dish simple and convenient to prepare.
With this pork and beans recipe, you’ll get that classic flavor that’s comforting, delicious, and an absolute family favorite. The best part is that it’s also really quick and easy to make!
You only need pantry staples to make this delicious dish that can be ready in just 35 minutes. The bacon bits take the flavor to the next level, leaving you with a dish that’s perfect for busy weeknights or even special occasions.
Trust me, it’s packed with flavor in every bite!
Why This Is The Best Pork and Beans Recipe
- Quick and Easy: This pork and beans recipe is simple and requires only a few basic steps. And despite the rich and complex flavors, this dish can be prepared in just thirty-five minutes from scratch. This makes it a perfect choice for those busy weeknight dinners or last-minute meals.
- Classic Flavors: With its hearty ingredients like bacon, pork shoulder, and beans coated in a mouth-watering sauce, this recipe is sure to become a family favorite. It’s a comforting and satisfying dish that appeals to both adults and children and features classic flavors you’ll love!
- Versatile: This recipe is versatile and can be easily adapted to suit your taste preferences. You could add bell peppers or garlic for extra flavor, or substitute the navy beans with your favorite canned beans.
- Perfect for Entertaining: The combination of savory pork, crispy bacon, and sweet and tangy sauce makes this dish a real crowd-pleaser. It’s perfect for potlucks, picnics, or any gathering where you want to impress your guests without spending hours in the kitchen!
What You Need to Make Pork and Beans At Home
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this delicious pork and beans recipe at home.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
- Bacon: This thick-cut delight will provide a savory and smoky flavor to your beans recipe. The crisp texture will also give a nice contrast to the softness of the beans.
- Pork Shoulder: This cut of meat is perfect for slow cooking, it adds a hearty, robust flavor to the dish. The cubes of pork will become tender and juicy, making every bite a delight.
- Onion: A key ingredient for any pot dish, it adds a layer of flavor and sweetness when cooked down. It will blend well with the other ingredients, enhancing the overall taste of the dish.
- Canned Navy Beans: These beans are a great time-saver and will absorb all the delicious flavors in the pot. They're the star of the show in this baked beans recipe.
For the Sauce:
- Ketchup: This ingredient forms the backbone of the sauce, adding a tangy sweetness that compliments the savory ingredients.
- Brown Sugar: It will add a rich sweetness to the sauce, balancing out the acidity of the tomatoes and vinegar.
- Mustard: This adds a tangy kick to the sauce, enhancing the complexity of the flavor profile.
- Salt: An essential ingredient, salt will bring out the flavors of the other ingredients and make the dish more savory.
- Black Pepper: This will add a bit of heat to the dish, enhancing the overall flavor profile even more.
- Water: It helps to thin the sauce to the right consistency and allows all the flavors to meld together.
- Garlic Powder: This ingredient will add a subtle hint of garlic flavor, complimenting the other flavors without overpowering them.
How to Make Pork and Beans Step by Step
Making this incredible pork and beans recipe at home is super easy and will give you great results every single time. Here's how to make it step by step:
- Heat Your Skillet: Start by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the bacon and cubed pork and cook until it starts to brown. This will take a few minutes, but keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
- Add Onions: Once the bacon and pork are beginning to brown, add in your chopped onion. Cook this together with the bacon and pork for about five to six minutes, or until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Mix Sauce Ingredients: In a separate bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Make sure to mix it well so that all the flavors blend together.
- Combine Beans and Sauce: Add beans to the pork. Pour your sauce mixture over the canned beans. Stir everything together until the beans are fully coated in the sauce.
- Simmer and Serve: Lower the heat to medium-low and let your pork and beans simmer. Cook for about fifteen to twenty minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken. Be sure to stir occasionally to prevent the sauce from burning. Your delicious pork and beans are now ready to serve!
Tips For Making the Best Pork and Beans
- Choose the right pork: For this pork and beans recipe, a boneless pork shoulder is ideal. It’s flavorful and becomes tender when cooked properly.
- Use quality bacon: Opt for thick-cut bacon slices. The fat from the bacon will render out as it cooks, adding a smoky flavor to the dish and making the bacon crisp, which will add a nice texture contrast to the beans.
- Don't drain your beans: When using canned beans, do not drain them. The liquid in the can is full of flavor and will add depth to your sauce.
- Take time to brown your ingredients: When cooking your bacon, pork, and onion, take the time to let them brown in your skillet. This will not only improve the taste but also add a nice color to your dish.
- Patience is a virtue: Lower the heat to medium-low and let the dish cook until the sauce starts to thicken. This slow cooking process will allow all the flavors to meld together, creating a rich, hearty dish.
- This hearty pork and beans recipe makes a fantastic main course. Pair it with a fresh green salad tossed in apple cider vinegar dressing for a satisfying meal with balanced flavors.
- Looking for another main dish to serve it with? Serve this delicious beans recipe along with grilled chicken or barbecued ribs. The tangy sauce perfectly compliments the smoky flavor of the barbecue.
- For a unique twist, spoon these baked beans over a baked potato. The creamy texture of the potato and the rich sauce from the beans make for a comforting and filling meal.
- This beans recipe can easily be transformed into a delicious burrito filling. Add some shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, and bell peppers to a tortilla, and you have a quick and tasty lunch.
- Turn your pork and beans into a breakfast feast by serving it with scrambled eggs and crisp bacon slices. The savory bacon and eggs pair wonderfully with the sweet and tangy baked beans.
- If you're planning a picnic or a potluck, this beans recipe is a crowd-pleaser. It's easy to transport, and it pairs well with sandwiches, salads, and other picnic favorites.
- For a comforting winter meal, serve this pork and beans recipe with a side of cornbread. The sweetness of the cornbread is a perfect match for the savory beans and pork.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Pork and Beans
This delicious pork and beans recipe is so flavorful and easy to make you'll want to try out some of these delicious variations! Here are some great ideas:
- Try it with Barbecue Sauce: If you're a fan of smoky flavors, this variation is perfect for you. Replace the ketchup in the sauce with an equal amount of barbecue sauce. The robust, smoky taste of the barbecue sauce will add a new depth to your pork and beans recipe.
- Make it Sweet: For those who enjoy a touch of sweetness, try adding an extra tablespoon of brown sugar to the sauce. This will balance out the tanginess of the mustard and tomatoes, giving your baked beans recipe a delightful sweet and sour twist.
- Boost the Heat: If you like your dishes spicy, add a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce. The heat from the pepper will add a kick to your baked beans.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce: For an umami twist, add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to the sauce mixture. This will give your pork and beans a rich, savory depth of flavor that's hard to resist.
Frequently Asked Questions
For this recipe, you should use thick cut bacon, diced. This will give your pork and beans a hearty and flavorful taste.
A boneless pork shoulder is the best choice for this recipe. It's tender and flavorful, and it pairs well with the beans and sauce. You'll need approximately a pound and a third, cubed.
This pork and beans recipe takes about a total time of just 35 minutes to make from scratch. This includes both prep time and cook time.
Yes, this pork and beans recipe is perfect for making ahead of time. You can simply prepare everything and then reheat it when you're ready to serve. Plus, you can even freeze it!
How to Store Leftover Pork and Beans
We all know how delicious a good pork and beans recipe can be. But what do you do with the leftovers? Here's how you can store and reheat your pork and beans dish to enjoy it all over again:
- Refrigerator: First, allow your pork and beans to cool down. You can do this by leaving it at room temperature for about half an hour. Once it has cooled, transfer it into an airtight container. The dish will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Reheating: To reheat your leftover pork and beans, you can use a pot over medium-low heat on the stovetop. Stir occasionally to prevent the beans and pork from sticking to the bottom. Once it is hot throughout, it is ready to enjoy.
- Freezer: Great news! Your leftover pork and beans can be frozen too. This is perfect if you have more leftovers than you can eat within a few days. Just make sure to use a freezer-safe container. The pork and beans should stay good in the freezer for up to three months.
- Thawing: To thaw your frozen pork and beans, place it in the fridge overnight then reheat it the next day according to the reheating instructions above.
Try These Hearty Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Homemade Pork and Beans (Quick, Easy, and Delicious!)
- 10 oz thick cut bacon diced
- 1.3 pounds pork shoulder without bone cubed
- 1 onion diced
- 28 oz canned navy beans not drained
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in bacon and cubed pork and cook until it starts to brown. Add in the onion and cook together with the bacon and pork for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until the onion starts to get translucent.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Add beans to the pork and bacon. Pour the sauce mixture over the beans and stir until all is coated.
- Lower the heat to medium low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
Iryna Bychkiv is the founder and writer of the culinary website Lavender & Macarons, where she shares clean, European-inspired recipes that are delicious, easy to prepare, and made with wholesome ingredients. Iryna loves creating meals that are simple yet healthy and unique, including vegan and vegetarian recipes.
Iryna is also a freelance writer for MSN and Associated Press Wire.