One of the great ways to use pumpkin puree is to add it to a risotto. My Mushroom And Pumpkin Risotto is easy and delicious one pan dinner recipe with flavors of fall.
Click HERE to PIN this recipe!
Mushroom Pumpkin Risotto
Everyone in my family are big risotto fans. Husband loves it, kids love it too.
That's right. Today, we're talking pumpkins and mushrooms.
Just try my savory Pumpkin Fritters and you'll know what I mean.
This creamy, flavorful goodness, which is my Mushroom And Pumpkin Risotto is basically autumn in a pan.
It's vibrant, and flavorful and makes a delicious and healthy vegetarian meal for the whole family.
Why is this creamy pumpkin risotto so yummy?
a) Mushrooms. My fall favorites have so much flavor. In the case of my recipe, Shiitake mushrooms are those flavor inducers. This risotto is one of the best vegan mushroom recipes and I have no doubt you'll love it too.
If you can't find Shiitake, go ahead and use Portobello mushrooms. They are big and "meaty" and can create amazing recipes. Hint - my Mushroom Bolognese or Mushroom Lasagna is proof.
Needless to say, if you live in an area with a good variety of wild mushrooms, please use those. Maitake mushrooms and Chanterelles will make any dish taste exquisite.
b) Pumpkin. To make life easier, I used a canned pumpkin puree.
But if you want, you can buy small pumpkin, cut it into small cubes, roast it for about 25 minutes at 400 F and add it to a risotto instead of a pureed pumpkin.
How do I make pumpkin risotto?
1. Cook the mushrooms
Wash Shiitake mushrooms and remove the stems.
Thinly slice the caps and sauté them in a pan with 2 tablespoons of oil until mushrooms begin to brown. This will take you 5-7 minutes.
Season with salt, add minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Garlic will infuse mushrooms with a beautiful garlicky flavor.
Remove pan from the heat and transfer mushrooms to a clean bowl.
2. Prepare pumpkin "broth"
In a large bowl whisk together warm vegetable broth and pumpkin puree and set the bowl next to the pan.
3. Cook risotto
Wipe the pan and put it back on a heat. Add a few tablespoons of oil and sauté shallots for 3 to 5 minutes until translucent.
Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
Stir in Arborio rice and toast stirring constantly for a few minutes.
Pour two cups of pumpkin broth into the rice, add salt, pepper, give everything a stir and simmer on a medium low heat until rice absorbs all liquid.
Continue adding broth, 1-2 ladles at a time until rice is fully cooked. If needed, you may want to add another a cup or two of broth.
4. Add mushrooms and cheese
Stir in vegan Parmesan cheese or a regular Parmesan if you're not vegan. If needed - adjust salt and pepper and remove pan from the heat.
Divide Mushroom And Pumpkin Risotto among serving bowls. Top with sautéed Shiitake mushrooms, sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if you like and some chopped parsley.
Devour immediately! Healthy and delicious!
If you're following WFPBNO diet, here's how to make this pumpkin risotto compliant:
- omit olive oil. Sauté mushrooms and shallots in a dry non-stick skillet. If necessary (if vegetables stick) add a tablespoon of vegetable broth.
- replace vegan Parmesan with dairy-free vegan cashew Parmesan.
I have Risotto leftovers, can I eat it on the next day?
I recommend to consume dishes containing mushrooms on the same day they are cooked.
Can I substitute Butternut Squash for Pumpkin?
Absolutely. Butternut Squash and Pumpkin are almost the same thing to me, they have similar texture and taste.
But since butternut squash is not sold in cans, you'll have to roast it first before adding to a risotto.
What to serve with Pumpkin Risotto?
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
FREE! 5 secrets to successful vegan meal planning
Figuring out what to eat every day can be stressful especially when your schedule is packed with activities.
With these 5 simple secrets you'll be planning your meals like a pro.
If you want to learn more, check out my web story about Vegan Pumpkin And Mushroom Risotto.
Mushroom And Pumpkin Risotto
- 5 oz Shiitake mushrooms (see the notes)* stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- ¾ c pumpkin puree
- 3-4 c vegetable broth
- 1 c Arborio rice
- ½ c vegan Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 shallot minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tbsp Italian parsley chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Olive oil in a medium skillet and over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté them until mushrooms begin to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Season with ¼ teaspoon of salt, add 1 minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Remove pan from the heat and transfer mushrooms to a clean bowl.
- In a large bowl whisk together warm vegetable broth and pumpkin puree and set the bowl next to the pan.
- Wipe the pan and put it back on heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté shallots for 3-5 minutes until translucent. Add the remaining clove of garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Stir in Arborio rice and toast stirring constantly for a few minutes. Pour two cups of pumpkin broth into the rice, add the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, pepper, give everything a stir and simmer on a medium low heat until rice absorbs all liquid.Continue adding broth, 1-2 ladles at a time until rice is fully cooked. If needed, you may want to add another a cup or two of broth.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, adjust salt and pepper if needed and remove the pan from the heat.
- Arrange risotto among serving bowls. Top with sautéed Shiitake, sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if you like and some chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately!