This Mexican Rice and Beans is the perfect side dish if you're looking to make something delicious and nutritious in under 30 minutes! It has delicious Spanish flavors and goes well with almost anything! With bright veggies, beans, and subtle flavorful spices, this side dish is ready to become your next favorite!
If you've been on the hunt for a delicious side dish that not only comes in handy when you're not sure what you cook but also packs in tons of flavor, this is the one for you! Not only is this recipe packed with protein and plant-based nutrition, but it's also budget-friendly!
What's best is that kids seem to love it just as much as adults do. Plus, could even be turned into a main dish of its own! Add some pan-fried tofu to it and you've instantly turned it into a weeknight dinner meal.
Once you try my recipe, you'll know exactly why this is the best Mexican Rice and Beans recipe ever and how easily you can make it your own.
- What are Mexican Rice and Beans (Spanish Rice and Beans)?
- Why This Is The Best Mexican Rice and Beans Recipe
- What You Need to Make Mexican Rice and Beans At Home
- How to Make Mexican Rice and Beans Step by Step
- Tips For Making the Best Mexican Rice and Beans Every Single Time
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Mexican Rice and Beans
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Mexican Rice and Beans
- Similar Recipes
What are Mexican Rice and Beans (Spanish Rice and Beans)?
Mexican Rice and Beans is also commonly known as Spanish Rice and Beans, although it's not a dish from Spain at all! There's a different version of this tasty dish in different parts of the world, but they all have the same base: delicious flavored rice, with beans and Mexican and Spanish flavor influences.
What's best is that it's incredibly versatile and you can serve it with just about any main dish, and this recipe is also vegan! But in case you have family members that love eating meat, they're still going to absolutely love the flavors and heartiness that beans and veggies bring to this dish.
It's easily made on the stovetop to develop deep flavors with the help of vegetable stock, tomato paste, and delicious spices and herbs like paprika, cumin, and oregano. Beans make this side dish filling and will keep you satiated for hours.
Why This Is The Best Mexican Rice and Beans Recipe
This is seriously the tastiest Spanish Rice and Beans (Mexican Rice) you've ever had. Here are some of the reasons why it's so good:
Easy: This recipe will give you delicious, complex flavors but with some of the most staple ingredients. Plus, what's best is that it's also incredibly easy to whip up from scratch!
Time-saving: If you only have 30 minutes to make a delicious family meal, then this Mexican Rice and Beans is perfect for you! It's ready to serve in under 30 minutes!
Delicious: This side dish is packed with flavor in each bite for a deliciously unforgettable meal that you'll absolutely love!
Budget-friendly: All the ingredients in this recipe are incredibly budget-friendly. But you still get a meal that's filling and full of nutrition.
Versatile: Not only does this dish go with just about everything, but it's also customizable! You can make it spicier, add more veggies, or even add some other protein to turn it into a main dish.
What You Need to Make Mexican Rice and Beans At Home
All you need are some of the most basic, pantry staple ingredients to make this delicious Mexican Rice and Beans. Here's everything you'll need:
Olive oil: First of all, we'll need some simple olive oil when cooking our delicious Spanish Rice and Beans. It's the perfect base that even has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Onion: Next, we'll be sauteing some diced onions for an aromatic flavor that adds depth to our rice dish and makes the flavor come out more.
Garlic: You'll also need some garlic. It's the perfect flavoring agent that takes the dish to the next level while enhancing all the other flavors.
Bell peppers: We'll also be using some red, green, and yellow bell peppers in this recipe. Not only will they add a bright color and flavor to the dish, but they're also packed with antioxidants like Vitamins A, C, and E.
Beans: For the beans in our delicious Mexican rice and beans, we'll be going with a combination of red beans and lima beans. They complement the other ingredients beautifully while making the dish more protein-packed! You can also go for other ones just as pinto beans and/or black beans.
Rice: You'll also, of course, need some rice for this Spanish rice recipe! I recommend going for long-grain rice since it cooks up light, and fluffy, and separates when cooked rather than clumping together like medium or short-grain rice. I went with basmati rice for this reason.
Vegetable stock: We'll be using vegetable broth or stock as our base liquid to cook the rice instead of water since it'll add more flavor to the entire dish.
Tomato paste: Tomato paste adds a subtle taste to the base of the rice dish but also brings out all the other Mexican flavors.
Paprika: For slight spice and heat, we'll be adding some paprika to this delicious Mexican Rice dish.
Cumin: Cumin is what will give your recipe that delicious Mexican flavor. It's what brings the whole dish together and takes it to the next level!
Oregano: You'll also need some oregano for this recipe that'll add a Spanish feel to it with its undertones. Another great option is to try out some Mexican oregano that tends to have a more citrusy flavor instead.
Salt: We'll also need some salt to season our delicious rice to just the right level. This will make sure all the flavors come out perfectly.
Cilantro: To garnish, we'll be using some freshly chopped cilantro. It'll add a fresh flavor and color to your tasty dish.
Olives: We'll also be adding some olives to this tasty rice side dish recipe for the perfect Spanish flavors that you'll absolutely love.
How to Make Mexican Rice and Beans Step by Step
Making this delicious Mexican rice and beans at home is easier than you think! Here's how to make it step by step:
- Start by heating olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Then add the diced onion and bell peppers to the pot, and sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- Next, add the minced garlic, ground paprika, ground cumin, and dried oregano to the pot, and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Now add the broth, rice, beans, and tomato paste. Turn up the heat to high and stir. Bring the liquid to a boil, then lower the heat and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Your delicious Mexican Rice and Beans is ready to be served! Serve it with olives and freshly chopped cilantro.
Tips For Making the Best Mexican Rice and Beans Every Single Time
Making a delicious Mexican Rice and Beans dish is easy, but there are some tips to make sure you get it right every single time.
1. Use quality ingredients: Good quality ingredients will result in a better-tasting final dish, so be sure to use fresh vegetables and good quality stock for maximum flavor.
2. Don’t overcook the rice: Overcooked rice will become mushy and unpalatable, so make sure to watch it carefully and remove it from the heat once it’s cooked through.
3. Don’t be afraid of flavor: Be generous with your flavorings – a little extra salt or cumin won’t hurt!
4. Store properly: If you have any leftovers, make sure to store them properly in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Mexican Rice and Beans are the perfect side dish to any meal! It can be served alongside tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or even salads. It also makes a great addition to a rice bowl with grilled vegetables on top.
Plus, you can even use it as an easy taco filling or as an easy lunch option. For an extra tasty meal, pair it with some guacamole or a simple salsa.
For the Mexican-inspired feast, round up your meal with one of the delicious Mexican desserts.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Mexican Rice and Beans
This delicious recipe is absolutely perfect as is. But if you're looking to change things up, here are a few ideas you can try:
Spicier: You can easily make this recipe spicier by adding a little chili powder or a pinch of cayenne powder to the dish.
Vegetables: Feel free to add whichever veggies you love best! Some great options include zucchini, corn, squash, mushroom, and chopped spinach.
Flavor enhancers: Other great flavor enhancers you can add include salsa or tomatillo sauce, which will add even more depth to this dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Spanish rice and Mexican rice are two names for the same dish! It all depends on which region you're from, but they both refer to the same delicious rice dish that includes Mexican beans and spices.
You can use just about any Mexican beans you like the most or have at hand for this versatile recipe. I've included red beans and pinto beans in this recipe, but feel free to use black beans, kidney beans, or whatever you have in your pantry.
The best rice for this Mexican-inspired dish is any long-grain rice, such as basmati rice. This is because it cooks and fluffs up quite well and doesn't clump up together. But you can definitely still go for short-grain or medium-grain rice if you want to.
Yes, you can use brown rice instead of white rice. But keep in mind that you'll have to adjust the cooking time. Brown rice is usually cooked for twice as long as white rice, but check the particular rice and brand you're using for the cooking times.
There are tons of ways to use leftovers of this delicious dish! You can add it to burritos, tacos, salads, and even soups. It adds variety to your leftovers and changes things up too!
Yes, you can! Although this is a vegan recipe, you can easily add meat to it. You can try adding cooked shredded chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, grilled shrimp, or any other protein you love best.
How to Store Leftover Mexican Rice and Beans
The combination of rice and beans makes for a great on-the-go meal or snack any day of the week. They are easy to make and can be part of your weekend lunches or a quick snack.
Refrigerator. To store leftovers, place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to three days. To reheat it, place it in the microwave for 1 - 2 minutes until it's warm all the way through. Alternatively, you could reheat it on the stovetop as well.
Freezing. While you can technically freeze this dish for up to 3 months, it might change the texture consistency of the bell peppers when thawed. So it's essential to keep that in mind when doing so.
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Quick And Easy Mexican Rice And Beans
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion minced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- ½ yellow bell pepper diced
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ can (8 oz) red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- ½ can (8 oz) lima beans drained and rinsed
- 2 ¼ c vegetable stock
- 1 ½ c Basmati rice
- 1 c green olives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ c cilantro chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- add the diced onion and bell peppers to the pot, and sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- add the minced garlic, ground paprika, ground cumin, and dried oregano to the pot, and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- add the broth, rice, beans, and tomato paste. Turn up the heat to high and stir. Bring the liquid to a boil, then lower the heat and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Your delicious Mexican Rice and Beans is ready to be served! Serve it with olives and freshly chopped cilantro.