Hungarian Chicken Paprikash is an easy, one pan weeknight dinner recipe with a finger licking good sour cream sauce made of the pantry staples. Husband's approved recipe that your family will love.
Also try my delicious Baked Chicken Meatballs In Mustard Sour Cream Sauce and Chicken Pumpkin Curry.
Another chicken recipe that is brilliantly delicious.
For years, my go-to favorite way of preparing chicken was French Mustard Chicken that I love making for special occasions.
I've heard about Hungarian Chicken Paprikash recipe many times but kept postponing making the recipe and posting it on my blog.
It wasn't until I purchased Hungarian Recipes Cookbook, that I really started to explore traditional Hungarian cuisine. I felt confident that those recipes would do well around my family and readers.
Chicken Paprikash is a classic and very popular in Hungary chicken recipe which characterised by an ample use of paprika.
Chicken is rubbed with a generous amount of sweet paprika, seared until nice and crispy and then simmered in the sour cream sauce.
The result - fall-0ff the bone chicken with the sauce that you just want to drizzle all over noodles, rice or whatever else you're serving the chicken with.
There are lots of variations of Hungarian Chicken Paprikash recipe online. Some will use bell peppers, tomatoes and/or tomato paste.
I wanted to keep it authentic and sticked to just paprika and sour cream sauce.
Oh, and did I mention that just like my Spanish Chicken with Rice, Hungarian Chicken Paprikash is one pan recipe? That means more joy from a delicious recipe and less dishes to clean. Win-win situation!
- chicken thighs - I use bone in and skin on chicken thighs because the meat comes out juicy and with the crispy skin. You can also make Paprikash with chicken breast. See my Variations tips below.
- olive oil - for sautéing onion
- onion - yellow or white onion
- paprika - here I use two types of paprika - sweet and smoked paprika
- chicken broth - preferably low sodium
- flour - for thickening the sauce
- sour cream, milk - for the Paprikash sauce
- parsley - used for serving
1. Rub chicken thighs with paprika
Start off with liberally sprinkling your chicken things with paprika. Traditionally, Hungarian sweet paprika is used, however, you can also add a tad of smoked paprika for an extra flavor if you want. Season with salt and pepper as well.
2. Sauté the onion and sear chicken
3. Simmer chicken
Add broth and simmer until the chicken is ready, about 40 minutes.
4. Prepare the sauce
At the same time, whisk together flour, sour cream and milk until no lumps remain.
4. Add sauce to a pan
Remove chicken from the pan, stir in the sour cream sauce and wait until it thickens.
5. Cook chicken in a sauce
Return chicken back to the pan, let it cook for another minute and turn off the heat. Now all you have to do is sprinkle your Chicken Paprikash with parsley and serve.
Delicious? You betcha!
💭 Top tip
I made my Chicken Paprikash on the stove top, however you can also braise it in the oven.
After you added chicken broth to the chicken, pop everything into the oven and cook at 350 F for 40 minutes. Same great result is guaranteed!
I made my Chicken Paprikash recipe with bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs, but you can also use drumsticks or chicken breast, which will shorten the cooking time.
If you want to make this recipe with chicken breast, there is one thing to keep in mind.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts cooks faster than bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs.
To make sure chicken breasts remain juicy, give them a quick sear until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes per side.
Then, continue cooking for no more than 10-15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F. That's where instant meat thermometer comes in handy.
🍝 Serving Suggestions
Traditionally, authentic Chicken Paprikash is served with Nokedli. These are Hungarian egg noodles, which remind me of Ukrainian Galushki quite a bit.
If you want to serve your chicken with Nokedli, here's a great recipe for that.
🍗 Similar Recipe
- Chicken Contadina - classic Italian recipe with of juicy, vegetable braised chicken;
- Mustard Chicken - French classic chicken recipe with rave reader's reviews;
- Spanish Chicken And Rice - easy one pot recipe for the comforting Sunday dinner.
Let me know in the comment section below if you tried Chicken Paprikash before?
If you make my Hungarian Chicken Paprikash recipe, snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons.
I'd love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on:
Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
Rub chicken thighs with paprika
Sauté the onion and sear the chicken
Simmer the chicken
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover with a lid and simmer for 40 minutes or until instant meat thermometer reads 165 F. When chicken is ready, remove it to a clean plate and set aside.
Prepare the sauce
- While chicken is simmering, in a small bowl whisk together sour cream, flour, and milk.
Add sauce to a pan
- Add the sour cream mixture to the pan and simmer stirring constantly until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
Cook chicken in a sauce
- Return chicken to the pan, cover with the sauce. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately!
If you need to update your measuring cups, these 3-piece glass measuring cups are the Amazon best-sellers. They have a 1-Cup, 2-Cup, and 4-Cup Capacity and are microwave and dishwasher safe. Plus, they cost just under $20 and will make a great gift to yourself or your loved ones. Check these out on Amazon.