This easy Blue Cheese bread is made from scratch and has a beautiful blue cheese flavor. It’s soft and fluffy and perfect for appetizers, sandwiches or with a cup of soup. The recipe needs 5 ingredients and makes 2 loaves.
Also try my delicious Pumpkin Yeast Bread.
Blue Cheese Bread
If you love the smell of homemade bread right out the oven and if you enjoy experimenting with different flavors/ingredients, then I’ve got a really good recipe for you.
This savory Blue Cheese loaf recipe isn’t difficult to make and comes out perfect each time. Contrary to pull-apart breads that are usually served as an appetizer, this artisan loaf isn’t soaked in cheese.
Mild and not overpowering cheese flavor is what makes this bread suitable for any of your needs, not just for appetizers:
- think spreading a thick slice of this bread with Pesto, salami and taking this sandwich with you to work;
- serving it up with a bowl of homemade warm soup;
- another idea is to cut it up nicely into small cubes, toasting for a few minutes and then sprinkling it over soup, think my Austrian Garlic Soup or French Parmesan Soup.
What type of cheese should I use?
You can choose any creamy blue cheese that you like, but my favorite version of this bread features Cambozola Cheese.
It’s a triple cream bri-style German blue cheese available in most grocery stores. It has a wonderful smooth texture and mild taste, which makes it ideal for homemade breads.
When you use creamy Blue cheese, the bread will come out very fluffy and airy, something that would be harder to achieve with a regular Blue cheese.
Other creamy cheese options
… a few words about leavening the dough
This recipe calls for leavening the dough 2 times before baking. The time indicated at each step is the approximate time. The speed at which your dough will rise depends on the temperature in your kitchen.
The most important thing to remember is to always wait until the dough doubles in size.
So for example, if the recipe calls for 60-90 minutes of leavening time, but your dough hasn’t increased in size, you should wait a little longer until it’s fully doubled in bulk size.
What equipment do I need to make a bread?
I always use my favorite Kitchen Aid for mixing and kneading the dough.
However if you’re an avid bread maker, I also recommend Kenwood mixer. According to my mom (who is the expert in bread making), it has a more powerful motor hence a better option for making homemade bread.
Soups to enjoy with this Blue Cheese Bread
Blue Cheese Bread
- In a mixer bowl add yeast, 6-7 tsp of room temperature water. Don't mix and leave it for 10 minutes. After this, give it a whisk, add the remaining water and flour.
- Attach bowl and dough hook to Kitchen Aid mixer. Turn to Speed 1, mix for 30 seconds, then increase to Speed 2 and mix for about 5-7 minute until the dough comes together in a soft ball and is nice and smooth.* (Note 1).With the Kitchen Aid working add salt, crumbled Blue Cheese, turn to Speed 3 and knead the dough until it shapes into an elastic ball and doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough into a lightly greased bowl, place the bowl in a warm place, cover with a plate or lid and leave it until the dough doubles in size (about 60-90 minutes).
- On a lightly floured surface knead the dough starting from the edges toward the center. The goal of this step is to release the air from the dough.Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a loaf.
- Place the loaves on a parchment lined baking sheet, cover with a plastic container or clean kitchen towel.* (Note 2).
- Place the baking sheet in a warm place and leave it there until the loaves double in size (about 40 to 60 minutes depending on the temperature in your kitchen).
- Preheat the oven to 440 F. Lightly slash the loaves with a very sharp knife (previously dusted with flour) 3 times diagonally.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 395 F and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes until the top of the bread is golden brown.
- Remove bread from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
--- Nutritional Information Should Be Considered An Estimate ---
If you’re looking to upgrade your mixing bowls, these 3-piece set glass bowls are super versatile, microwave and dishwasher safe and are Amazon Bestsellers. They make a useful gift for yourself or your loved ones. Plus, the price is just over $10. Check them out on Amazon.