This Vegan Garbanzo Beans and Kale Stew is a hearty and healthy dish great to be enjoyed on its own or over rice or pasta. It’s easy to make, nutritious and great for meal prep, too. Made in one pan with protein-packed chickpeas that are flavorful and a bit spicy.
This vegan Garbanzo Beans and Kale Stew is perfect for warming you up on chilly days! It's easy to make, which makes it great for cooking a big batch of on weeknights.
Packed with hearty garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas!), spiced with red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, and earthy white Miso paste, it's a filling and comforting dinner.
This soup only takes a little over 30 minutes to make and uses mostly canned ingredients and pantry staples. It's great for when you're in the mood for warm comfort food, but don't feel like prepping a lot of ingredients!
- olive oil
- whole Italian tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- red pepper flakes
- fennel seeds
- white Miso paste - optional, but helps make the soup taste richer
- Tuscan kale - this kale has mostly flat leaves and tastes less bitter than curly kale
- fresh basil
1. Cook the garlic
Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 second to a minute.
2. Add the tomatoes and seasonings
Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, Miso paste and salt to the pan. Cook them over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes. Break up the large chunks of tomatoes with your spoon or spatula.
3. Cook the kale and chickpeas
Stir in the kale and chickpeas. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the kale wilts. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning to your tastes, then remove stew from the heat. Serve topped with fresh basil leaves.
🍰 Similar Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Garbanzo Beans and Kale Stew
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 (28 oz) can whole Italian tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon white Miso paste
- 1 bunch (4 oz) Tuscan kale stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
- ¼ c fresh basil for serving
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds. Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, Miso paste and salt. Cook over medium low heat for 20 to 25 minutes while breaking up big chunks of tomatoes.
- Stir in kale and chickpeas and cook for 3-5 minutes until kale wilts. Adjust the seasoning if needed, remove stew from the heat and serve topped with fresh basil leaves.