Creamy Vegan Tomato Risotto is a simple yet ultra flavorful recipe that thanks to my secret ingredient is sure to become a family’s favorite. This healthy Cherry Tomato Risotto is ready in just 30 minutes and great for busy weeknights.
Who knew that a simple vegetable risotto can be so satisfying?
Creamy without with a cream, hearty without a meat and literally loaded with cherry tomatoes and comforting flavors.
The secret to this luscious vegan recipe is a right combination of condiments. I’m not saying spices, because this tomato risotto doesn’t actually contain any spice except of salt of pepper.
Do you want to know my secret to making the most flavorful vegetarian recipes?
I’ve been seriously hooked on Miso Paste and apart from a classic Miso soup, I’ve been adding Miso paste to pretty much everything.
Now, there are a few kinds of Miso paste: red, yellow, white. I haven’t tried all of those yet, but White Miso has been become a staple in my refrigerator.
Nowadays, I’m adding Miso to all kinds of dishes: rice, pasta, soups, even Borscht.
What Miso paste adds to a recipe?
Earthy, umami and savory flavor that is otherwise obtained by anchovies, which are obviously not a part of vegan diet.
Thanks to Miso paste, this tomato based risotto comes out creamy and so aromatic. The best part – no one will even say it’s vegan.
Aside from Miso paste that you can buy on Amazon or Asian grocery stores, this recipe is made with pantry staple ingredients.
- olive oil, butter – I love using Miyoko’s vegan unsalted butter
- vegetables – ripe cherry tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley for serving
- flavor inducers – tomato paste and white Miso paste
- rice – obviously most Risotto’s are made with Arborio rice. However, you can also prepare this Carnaroli Rice. Sometimes I buy it at Whole Foods
- liquids – homemade or store-bought vegetable broth
- cheese – totally optional because this summer Risotto tastes great without cheese. But if you feel like it, feel free to add some grated or shaved vegan Parmesan
🥘 Similar Recipes
🥗 Side dishes
Vegan Tomato Risotto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp White Miso paste don't be afraid to add 2 heaping tbsp of Miso paste
- 2 c cherry tomatoes
- 1 c Arborio rice
- 5 c vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp unsalted vegan butter
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp parsley chopped
- ½ c shaved vegan Parmesan for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan and over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook stirring occasionally until onion is translucent and starts to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add tomato paste and Miso paste and stir for 1 minute.
- Add cherry tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in Arborio rice and toast stirring constantly for a few minutes. Ladle in 3 cups of vegetable broth, give everything a stir and simmer on a medium low heat until rice absorbs all liquid.
- Continue adding broth, 1-2 ladles at a time until rice is fully cooked.
- Stir in vegan butter, adjust salt and pepper if needed and remove pan from the heat.
- Divide risotto among serving bowls, sprinkle with fresh parsley and Parmesan shavings and serve.