These Vegan Tempeh Tacos are perfectly seasoned and delicious. They make a hearty Meatless meal for busy weeknights or a healthy option for summer entertaining.
If you’re new to Tempeh, but love trying new vegan dishes, these Tempeh Tacos are worth your attention.
Tempeh is made with fermented soybeans and just like tofu, it’s an excellent choice of plant-based protein. Thanks to its chewy texture and outstanding ability to soak up the seasoning, Tempeh has always been a wonderful “meat-like” ingredient that most vegans love.
This Vegan Tempeh Taco Recipe is a delicious meal that is simple and easy to put together on a busy weeknight.
Tempeh is pan seared in aromatic spices and then served on a crispy tortilla with red cabbage and vegan queso. What’s not to love?
Since Tempeh tends to absorb the seasoning very well, the longer you marinate it, the better it will be.
With this in mind, Tempeh is perfect for making ahead-of-time. Mix it with the spices in the morning before you head out the door and then when you come back, quickly finish Tempeh in a skillet. Easy-peasy.
You’ll love this recipe because it’s made with clean and healthy ingredients and will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Tempeh – I use brand Lightlife. It’s available in most grocery stores
Spice mix – chili powder, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, coriander
Marinade essentials – Gluten-free Tamari, Red Vine Vinegar, Olive oil and Maple syrup
Veggies – I made this Taco with red cabbage, because it’s healthier than green cabbage. You can also throw in some cubed avocados or bell peppers
Dressing – these tacos need dressing and I absolutely love serving them with Vegan Queso sauce. My favorite is from Siete
Tortilla – you can serve these tacos over any tortilla that you have
The main ingredient in this recipe is obviously Tempeh. Aside from that, you can customise these tacos with whatever ingredients you have on hand.
Instead of red cabbage, you can use Napa Cabbage. In addition, feel free to throw in some diced tomatoes, green olives, or avocados.
Vegan Tempeh Taco Recipe
For the Tempeh
For the tacos
- 8 tortilla
- 2 1/2 c red cabbage shredded
- 8 tbsp vegan sour cream or queso sauce
- 1/2 c cilantro
- Cover the bottom of a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water. Set the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Arrange the tempeh cubes in a steamer basket. Set the steamer basket in the saucepan and cover with the lid. Steam the tempeh for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, oregano, garlic powder, vinegar, water, 1 tbsp of oil, Tamari and Maple syrup.
- Add steamed Tempeh into a bowl and use a fork to crumble it into small "ground meat like" pieces. (see Note 1)
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a 12-inch skillet and over medium heat. Add Tempeh along with all the spice mix and cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. If Tempeh starts to stick, add 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Heat the tortillas over an open flame or in a dry pan.
- Spoon 1 tbsp of Vegan queso sauce in the center of Tortilla. Add about 1/3 cup of cooked Tempeh, 1/3 cup of shredded cabbage and 1 tablespoon of cilantro. Drizzle with more queso sauce if desired and serve warm.