This Papardelle With Kale Pesto And Zucchini is healthy, vibrant and utterly delicious! It’s a complete meal made in under 30 minutes.
Papardelle With Kale Pesto And Zucchini
Spring is right around the corner. Despite that lately, the weather has been unseasonably warm, I’m so tired of dark and gloomy colors outside. I miss spring! I want spring! Can’t wait for the trees and grass to get that nice pop of green color. If you’re like me and live in the areas of 4 seasons, I’m pretty sure you anticipate spring as much as I do.
For some reason, with the arrival of spring, my urge to eat clean and healthy is bigger than ever before. Maybe because there is a bigger variety of seasonal fruits and veggies in the grocery stores. Or maybe cold days are gone or almost gone and I remind myself about that healthy eating resolutions I have yet to make. Not that I vow to stop eating desserts, I just think the timing couldn’t be better for cooking recipes that are healthier and better for you.
With that being said, I’ve been meaning to share with you Papardelle With Kale Pesto And Zucchini recipe long ago. The first time I made it, I was pleasantly surprised with unusual combination of ingredients and how good they actually worked together in this pasta dish.
First of all, I’m talking about kale pesto. Have you tried it before? I bet not. For me, kale is a type of leafy green that I started cooking with relatively lately. Because of its kinda neutral taste, I mostly used it in smoothies.
When it comes to pesto ingredients, basil has always been my top choice. Let’s admit it – basil is classic and you can’t go wrong with it. But for this pasta recipe, I decided to use baby kale. Just as basil, kale is jam packed with healthy goodness and just as basil pesto, – kale pesto tastes incredible. You will like it.
Now, on to zucchini. I bet you’ve never tried them cooked like that before. All you need is 30 seconds in a microwave. That’s it. 30 seconds and your zucchini have cooked enough to add that nice slightly crispy yet fresh and delicious bite to the pasta.
I have to admit, when I first tried this method of cooking zucchini, I was a bit sceptical, but to my surprise they turned out delicious. I definitely recommend you try this method and tell me how you like it.
This Papardelle With Kale Pesto And Zucchini is a definitely a healthy spring recipe. It’s chock-full of vitamins. You’ve got to try it!
- 2 cups baby kale + more for garnish
- ¾ cup whole walnuts
- ¼ cup olive oil + more for zucchini
- 5 cloves garlic
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated plus shavings for garnish
- 12 ounces Papardelle
- 2 fresh firm zucchini, very thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandoline
- Salt, pepper to a taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the walnuts on a parchment lined baking tray and roast for 5-7 minutes tossing frequently. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- In a bowl of food processor, combine baby kale, garlic, ½ cup of walnuts, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Pulse until finely chopped. Add olive oil and grated cheese and pulse again until everything is combined and pesto is nice and smooth. Add more oil if needed.
- Cook Papardelle in a large pot of salted boling water, about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season sliced zucchini with salt and pepper to a taste and brush with olive oil on both sides. Microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of pasta cooking water.
- Add pesto to the pasta and toss to evenly coat. Add pasta water if needed, one ladle at a time. (This will make the sauce a silky texture)
- Add zucchini and handful of baby kale leaves and lightly toss.
- Transfer Papardelle to a serving plate. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of walnuts and cheese shavings.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons. I’d love to see your creations.
I’d love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on: