One of the great ways to use pumpkin puree is to add it to a risotto. My Mushroom And Pumpkin Risotto is easy and delicious one pan dinner recipe with flavors of fall. Click HERE to PIN this recipe!
Mushroom Pumpkin Risotto
Everyone in my family are big risotto fans. Husband loves it, kids love it too.
That’s right. Today, we’re talking pumpkins.
Even better – savory pumpkin recipes. Straight from the can and right into the pan with bubbling rice.
This creamy, flavorful goodness, which is my Mushroom And Pumpkin Risotto is basically an autumn in a pan.
It’s vibrant, flavorful and makes a delicious and health vegetarian meal for the whole family.
Why is this creamy pumpkin risotto so yummy?
a) Mushrooms. Fall favorite vegetable that can carry ton of flavor. In the case with my recipe, Shiitake mushrooms are those flavor inducers. If you can’t find Shiitake, go ahead and use Portobello mushrooms. They are big and meaty and can create amazing recipe. Hint – my Easy Mushroom Bolognese is a proof.
b) Pumpkin. To make life easier, I used a canned one. But if you want, you can buy small pumpkin, cut it into small cubes, roast it for about 25 minutes at 400 F and add it to a risotto instead of a pureed pumpkin.
How do I make pumpkin risotto?
1. Cook the mushrooms
Wash Shiitake mushrooms and remove the stems.
Thinly slice the caps and sauté them in a pan with 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil until mushrooms begin to brown. This will take you 5-7 minutes.
Season with salt, add minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Remove pan from the heat and transfer mushrooms in a clean bowl.
2. Prepare pumpkin broth
In a large bowl whisk together warm vegetable broth and pumpkin puree and set the bowl next to the pan.
3. Cook risotto
Wipe the pan and put it back on a heat. Add a few tablespoons of oil and sauté shallots for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
Stir in Arborio rice and toast stirring constantly for a few minutes.
Pour two cups of pumpkin broth into the rice, add salt, pepper, give everything a stir and simmer on a medium low heat until rice absorbs all liquid.
Continue adding broth, 1-2 ladles at a time until rice is fully cooked.
4. Add mushrooms and Parmesan
Stir in Parmesan cheese. If needed – adjust salt and pepper and remove pan from the heat.
Divide Mushroom And Pumpkin Risotto among serving bowls. Top with sautéed Shiitake mushrooms, sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if you like and some chopped parsley.
Devour immediately! Healthy and delicious!
I have Risotto leftovers, can I eat it on the next day?
I recommend to consume dishes containing mushrooms on the same day they are cooked.
Can I substitute Butternut Squash for Pumpkin?
Absolutely. Butternut Squash and Pumpkin are almost the same thing to me, they have similar texture and taste.
But since butternut squash is not sold in cans, you’ll have to roast it first before adding to a risotto.
How to make this Pumpkin Risotto Vegan/Plant Based?
If you’re following vegan diet, here’s how to make this risotto compliant:
What to serve with Pumpkin Risotto?
If you love Pumpkin and Mushrooms, you’ll also enjoy these recipes:
- Pumpkin Ricotta Gnocchi with Shiitake Sauce – true comfort food with so much flavor.
- Baked Meatballs with Gruyere Fondue – Italian meatballs, mushroom sauce and cheesy Gruyere topping…need I say more?
- Mushroom Stroganoff – easy 30-minute recipe for vegetarian weeknight meal.
- Kale and Mushroom Lasagna – good old lasagna that is perfect for vegetarians.
- Risotto Puttanesca – simple sauce made of anchovies and capers makes all the difference.
If you make my Pumpkin Puree Risotto, snap a photo and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons. I’d love to see your creations.
I’d love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on:
Mushroom And Pumpkin Risotto
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Olive oil in a medium skillet and over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté them until mushrooms begin to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Season with 1/4 tsp of salt, add 1 minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Remove pan from the heat and transfer mushrooms to a clean bowl.
- In a large bowl whisk together warm vegetable broth and pumpkin puree and set the bowl next to the pan.
- Wipe the pan and put it back on heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté shallots for 3-5 minutes until translucent. Add the remaining clove of garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Stir in Arborio rice and toast stirring constantly for a few minutes. Pour two cups of pumpkin broth into the rice, add the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt, pepper, give everything a stir and simmer on a medium low heat until rice absorbs all liquid.Continue adding broth, 1-2 ladles at a time until rice is fully cooked.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, adjust salt and pepper if needed and remove the pan from the heat.
- Arrange risotto among serving bowls. Top with sautéed Shiitake, sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if you like and some chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately!