Healthy, crispy and delicious cauliflower cakes with feta cheese and dill pickle sauce are loaded with flavors and good for you ingredients.
Cauliflower Cakes with Feta Cheese and Dill Pickle Sauce
On a busy Friday morning, I was in search for a quick and healthy lunch recipe for me and my daughter. I knew I had a cauliflower head in my fridge which needed to be utilized till it turned bad. I could definitely make a no-fail Leek and Cauliflower Soup, that I recently published and which tastes amazing. But given that last week, we’ve eaten all kinds of soups, I was searching for a decent alternative.
Did I say that I love Pinterest? It’s my favorite searching tool when it comes to finding yummy recipes. Naturally, I started looking for my pinned recipes with cauliflower and immediately found a cool and healthy recipe of cauliflower cakes by Cocinerita. I loved that she incorporated nutritional yeast in her recipe. I use this ingredient quite often since it gives your dishes additional protein boost.
Remember my most pinned recipe of Quinoa Patties With Zucchini And Feta Cheese? Not that I’m bragging, but those are a bomb. So I thought to myself, hey, why not to make a similar healthy and delicious recipe but using a cauliflower? With a few simple tweaks to the original recipe, I made a cauliflower cakes, that I literally, couldn’t stop eating. Moreover, they tasted great even on a second day.
I highly recommend you not to skip the dill pickle dip part. It gives the cakes unexpected crunchy and zesty bite.
- 1 medium size cauliflower head (450 grams), cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 100 grams Feta cheese, crumbled
- vegetable oil, for cooking
- 2 tablespoons plain non-fat yogurt
- 1 baby dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- salt to a taste
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and cook the cauliflower for about 7 minutes until tender.
- Drain the water and pulse the florets in a food processor 3-4 times, until they are broken down to smaller pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cauliflower, flour, cornmeal, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, Feta Cheese and beaten eggs. Mix everything well.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil and over medium heat.
- Working in batches spoon about a heaping tablespoonful of batter onto a skillet flattening it slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until brown and crisp.
- Add more oil if needed.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and serve as a dipping sauce for cauliflower cakes.
I would say it’s a pretty basic recipe. You’re welcome to customize it and add more vegetables if you like. Think zucchini, carrots, bell pepper. You can also experiment with different cheeses. But I definitely recommend you to include Feta cheese, since it’s naturally salty, tangy and sooooo good.
I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe of Cauliflower Cakes with Feta Cheese. Let me know in the comments section below.