Vegan shawarma with fresh vegetables and homemade garlic yogurt sauce is a real crowd-pleaser. This traditional Middle Eastern recipe is quick, easy, and perfect for dinner or a party.
Have you ever tried shawarma? You know it's delicious.
However here's a thing. Typical shawarma is a meat-based dish. It's made with marinated meat (often lamb) that is slow-roasted on a spit and served in a wrap or pita bread.
If you follow a vegan lifestyle, traditional Mediterranean shawarma can be off-limits. Fortunately, it's possible to create a tasty and satisfying vegan shawarma recipe that is packed with flavor and nutrients.
Whether you're a seasoned vegan or just looking to try something new, this easy and flavorful Vegan Mushroom Shawarma Kebab Recipe with garlic yogurt sauce is sure to impress.
So let's get started!
👆 Here's Why You'll Love This Recipe
- it's quick and easy. This healthy vegan shawarma wrap recipe is ready in minutes. After all, mushrooms are one of the easiest vegetables (or better to say fungi to cook).
- healthy. Mushrooms that are the base for his vegan shawarma kebab are a nutritional powerhouse. Mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D as well as selenium, Copper, Magnesium, and Phosphorus. They have been shown to improve the immune system.
- features the best sauce. Yep, you heard it. This vegan shawarma wrap features the best shawarma sauce made with a plant-based yogurt, garlic, and fresh mint. It's so good and refreshing. Just like my vegan Caesar dressing, you'll want to serve this sauce with everything.
- perfect for any occasion. Whether you're having a party or serving dinner to your family, everyone will love these perfectly spiced vegan shawarma wraps. They're practically effortless.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
- mushrooms. For this healthy and easy vegetarian shawarma kebab you can you any mushrooms you want. I used Portobello mushrooms, however, Button mushrooms, Oyster mushrooms,s or Shiitake will work too.
- Arugula. The same as with the mushrooms, any green will work here. Fresh spinach, chard, lettuce, or spring mix are all good choices.
- Non-dairy yogurt. Choose cashew yogurt, soy yogurt, or almond yogurt. I recommend against using coconut yogurt as it has a distinctive flavor and might overpower the spices. Whatever yogurt you choose, make sure it's plain and unsweetened.
🔪 How To Make Vegan Shawarma Recipe
Making this best vegan shawarma recipe is easy-peasy when you follow my simple steps.
- In a small bowl mix cumin, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika, and ground cloves. Set aside.
- In another small bowl mix together arugula and tomato and set aside.
- Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a cast-iron griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red onion and the sliced. mushrooms
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally until all liquid evaporates and the mushrooms are nice and brown.
- Add spice mix, salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and keep on cooking for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms are aromatic. Set aside.
- Pour dairy-free yogurt, mint, salt, pepper, and extra-virgin olive oil into a food processor.
- Mix until a creamy sauce forms. Alternatively, you can mix everything with a hand whisk.
- Cut open the pita bread and scoop two tablespoons of mushroom mix and one spoon of arugula mix. Then drizzle garlic yogurt sauce over veggie shawarma to taste.
👩🏼🍳 Chef's Tips
As you can see, it's really easy to make this healthy meatless shawarma sandwich with mushrooms, however, let me tell you, there are a few things that go wrong.
- Make sure the mushrooms are fresh, firm, and have a smooth appearance. If mushrooms have been in your fridge for some time and start to get slimy, it's probably best to discard them.
- For a richer flavor of this Middle Eastern vegetarian shawarma, try picking a combination of mushrooms. Possible combinations - Portobello plus Shiitake mushrooms or White plus Oyster mushrooms.
- When you saute the mushrooms, make sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook them until there's no more liquid left in the skillet (mushrooms tend to sweat a lot - aka release lots o liquid). Properly cooked mushrooms are nice and brown on all sides.
If you're looking for healthy vegan meal prep ideas, give this vegan Shawarma a try.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Make sure to choose gluten-free pita wrap.
Try chopped avocado, thinly sliced cucumbers, and green or red cabbage. Spicy carrots are also a great choice.
Typically it's served warm. I recommend warming up the pita for about 10 seconds in the microwave as well as reheating the mushrooms.
Cook the mushrooms and store them for 4-5 days in a fridge until you're ready to serve.
📖 Variations And Substitutions
- No arugula? Fresh spinach, chard, romaine lettuce, or spring mix are good substitutions.
- No vegan yogurt? Simply skip the sauce or replace the yogurt with a Tahini sauce or vegan sour cream.
- Want more plant-based protein? Saute some soy curls along with the mushrooms. That way you'll get the same fantastic taste of the easy vegan shawarma plus an increased protein. As an alternative to soy curls, you can use marinated chickpeas or tofu.
- Spices. For an additional spice kick, add in ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin, and ¼ teaspoon of ground coriander. They work especially well with the original spice blend.
- Herbs. Sprinkle healthy vegan shawarma with some chopped parsley or cilantro for an additional herby flavor.
🥙 Serving Suggestions
This easy vegan shawarma is delicious in a pita wrap or vegetable salad.
Alternatively, you can pile up healthy Mushroom Shawarma Kebab on top of cooked rice or couscous alongside hummus, vegan Tzatziki sauce or my savory Muhammara Dip.
🌡️ Storage Tips
Sauteed mushrooms should be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator where they will last for 4 to 5 days.
Store Garlic Yogurt Sauce in a glass jar or airtight container in a fridge for about 5-6 days.
🥗 More Dinner Recipes
The Easiest Vegan Shawarma Wraps
For the vegan shawarma
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic cloves optional
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium tomato diced
- ½ c arugula
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 lb Portobello mushrooms sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 pita wraps use gluten free if necessary
To make vegan shawarma with mushrooms
- In a small bowl mix cumin, garlic powder, turmeric, paprika and ground cloves. Seta side.
- In another small bowl mix together arugula and tomato and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a cast-iron griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook for about 5-7 minutes stirrung ocassionally until all liquid evaporates and mushrooms are nice and brown.
- Add spice blend, salt, pepper and lemon juice and keep on cooking for another 5 minutes until mushrooms are aromatic.
- Pour the mushroom mix in a bowl and set aside.
To make garlic yogurt sauce
- Pour dairy-free yogurt, mint, salt, pepper, and olive oil into a food processor and mix until a creamy sauce forms. Alternatively, you can mix everything with a hand whisk.
- Set asied.
To asamble Shawarmas
- Cut open the pita bread and scoop two tablespoons of mushroom mix and one spoonof arugula mix. Then drizzle sauce over shawarma to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!