Although crepes originate in France, these thin and crispy pancakes have become crazy popular in Ukraine. My Easy Crepe Recipe With Chicken And Cheese is truly a comfort food. Made with ingredients you already have in your fridge, these traditional French treats will become your family's favorite.
Easy Crepe Recipe With Chicken And Cheese
I adore crepes. They have always been and will be one of my favorite comfort foods. Why not? They can be so versatile. You can fill them with about anything and they will always taste great.
I remember back in 200os, we had a lovely trip to France. We explored the western part of the country and few days into our tour to Brittany region, we stopped to dine in a small roadside cafe. We were starving.
You know what usually happens when you're in a cafe and you're hungry, right?
You order everything on the menu that sounds good.
Little that we knew, that the portions in that small eatery as pretty much everywhere in France were gigantic.
After we finished with our first course which was a huge bowl of salad, we were served unbelievably delicious buckwheat crepes stuffed with blue cheese.
I have to tell you, those were probably one of the best things I've ever tried. So crispy, with a mild nutty taste and of course loaded with my favorite blue cheese.
So if you're planning a visit to France anytime soon, make sure to explore those small roadside cafes and order savory crepes. Just like all France food, they taste fantastic.
Today, I'm sharing with you one of favorite crepe recipes that always goes fast in my house.
I first made this recipe a few years ago. My husband bought me a new set of ceramic bakeware and I couldn't wait to try it. I had some crepe leftovers from the other day plus a whole roasted chicken. So I decided to add a couple more ingredients and the simple crepe got beautifully transformed into a perfect dinner dish.
What's great about this recipe - is that you can make everything in advance and then assemble the crepes just before it's time to serve.
A couple of notes regarding cheese. For this recipe, there are several variations of cheeses that I love to use. First - Gruyere cheese + Mozzarella. Gruyere has a wonderful nutty flavor, it's slightly crispy to a taste and it's super delicious. And nothings melts better than Mozzarella.
My second favorite combo of cheeses is Sharp Cheddar + Mozzarella. They compliment each other really well and are good and cheaper alternative to the first option.
This easy crepe recipe makes about 15 crepes. Besides chicken and cheese, you can fill those crepes with about anything delicious that you have in fridge.
To make crepes:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and sugar.
- Pour in 250 ml of milk and gradually add flour. Keep whisking until a batter becomes thick, resembling a consistency of a sour cream.
- Add the remaining 250 ml of milk and whisk to combine.
- Pour in ½ cup of hot boiling water and vegetable oil.
- Heat a small non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add a small amount of butter, just enough to coat the pan.
- Take half a ladle of a crepe batter, pour in the center of a pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook on one side for 2 minutes, until edges start to brown and you can loosen the edges with a rubber spatula.
- Flip it to the other side. Cook for 30 more seconds or 1 minute on the other side. Transfer to a plate and cook the rest of the crepes.
- Place 2 tablespoons of chopped chicken and 4 tablespoons of cheese on the bottom half of each crepe. Fold the other side of the crepe over the filling. Fold it over again until you have a quarter shape.
- Place stuffed crepes in a preheated to 355 F oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese begins to melt.
- Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream.