This Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe features tender strips of beef that are quickly seared and then simmered in a flavorful sour cream-tomato sauce. This 40-minute recipe requires just 7 ingredients and is cozy and delicious! Perfect for busy weeknights!
Also try my other Stroganoff recipes - Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff and Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff and Vegan Stroganoff.
Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Truth - no one knows "authentic" or "traditional" Beef Stroganoff.
The very original recipe that was created in the late 18th century - was long lost and the only version which is the closest to the original was introduced by William Pokhlyobkin - expert on the history of Russian cuisine.
Now, that we have this little nuance out of the way, let me introduce you to my version of this classic Russian dish - Beef Stroganoff a la Iryna.
Is it authentic? - No?
Does it have all features to be called Beef Stroganoff? - Absolutely!
Is it delicious? - well, if a perfectly seared beef smothered in a creamy sour cream-tomato sauce doesn't entice you, I don't know what does. My easy Beef Stroganoff is amazingly delicious recipe that cooks fast and disappears just as fast.
Where did Beef Stroganoff originate?
Beef Stroganoff is a simple dish originated in Russia in the late 18th century. There are several versions of who invented this recipe. However the most popular theory states that Beef Stroganoff was first created by a French chef Andre Dupont who was working for Alexander Stroganoff - Russian Minister of the interior at that time.
Although, no one knows the exact recipe, there are a few main components to it:
- sautéed onion;
- beef tenderloin, that is lightly pounded, dredged in flour and then quickly seared for 2-3 on each side;
- the sauce made of sour cream and tomato paste gets added into the pan with beef and onion and all these ingredients cook together until beef is cooked through and delicious.
Best Meat for Beef Stroganoff
Can you reheat beef stroganoff?
Store Beef Stroganoff in the airtight containers (I like these glass containers) in a fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat, transfer it to a pan, add a few tablespoons of any broth, bring to a low boil and then simmer on a low heat for 3-5 minutes.
...a few more tips fop the Best Beef Stroganoff
- if you don't have sour cream, you can use Crème Fraîche or heavy cream. In this case, Beef Stroganoff sauce won't be as thick, which is fine. But if you want your sauce to look more like mine on the photos, mix ½ tablespoon of flour into the mixture of cream and tomato paste.
- you can also substitute tomato sauce for tomato paste. In this case, I recommend sticking to 1:1 ratio meaning you mix 1 c of sour cream with 1 c tomato sauce.
- if you have mushrooms, feel free to add them to a recipe by sautéing them along with the onion.
- if you Stroganoff sauce comes out too thick, dilute it with ¼-1/2 cup of any broth.
What to serve with Beef Stroganoff?
I recommend serving Beef Stroganoff with spaghetti, french fries or mashed potatoes and easy and refreshing salad that compliments beef, such as:
- cauliflower and cucumber salad
- beets and arugula salad
More quick and easy recipes for dinner
Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 lb strip steak I used boneless New York Strip Steak
- ½ large onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 c sour cream
- 2-3 tablespoon tomato paste add more if you want the sauce to be more intense red color
- ½ c broth any
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon parsley chopped, optional for garnish
- Place beef in between 2 layers of plastic wrap and pound to ⅓ inch thick. Cut it across the grain into 2-inch long strips.
- In a medium bowl add flour and dredge beef in flour.
- In a medium bowl mix together sour cream, tomato paste, broth, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in beef and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Stir in sour cream-tomato sauce, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with my roasted garlic mashed potatoes or rice.
Carole Maxim says
Love this over homemade french fries. It is a favorite of famoly and friends, most of home have never heard of cooking it or serving ot this way. I started making it this way in 1965 when my son's godfather's mother taught me the recipe.
Carole, thank you so much for your comment and a 5-star rating! I'm happy you enjoyed this recipe!
This was delicious!
I assume in step 3, you meant to say, "mix together sour cream,..., salt and *pepper," not "salt and *sugar." I went with pepper, otherwise I made this exactly as written.
Siggi, thank you so much for your comment and a 5-star rating! I'm very happy you loved this recipe! And yes, you are correct, I meant "salt" and "pepper"))). I'll fix it.