Pumpkin Chicken Curry is juicy, tender chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces and simmered in a flavorful and creamy canned pumpkin sauce. This easy and quick one skillet recipe is bursting with flavor and perfect for cozy autumn meal.
For more comforting and creamy chicken recipes try these Mustard Chicken, Chicken Paprikash, Chicken Mushroom Stroganoff.
Pumpkin Chicken Curry
If you’re looking for an easy chicken recipe ready in minutes, Pumpkin Chicken Curry is exactly what you need to make. No fancy ingredients here, but straight up chicken cooked in a curry-flavored pumpkin sauce. Simple but delicious.
You’ll love this delicious and creamy sauce drizzled over rice or pasta. Plus, it’s very versatile. I can imagine you can serve it over seafood as well.
The flavor of this dish is incredible and this chicken recipe is perfect for busy weeknights. My family devoured this curry recipe, it was that good.
What are the ingredients for Chicken and Pumpkin Curry?
To make this yummy one skillet dish, you’ll need ingredients which you might already have in your pantry.
- chicken breasts
- pumpkin puree – canned or homemade
- tomato sauce – regular or Marinara
- chicken broth – I prefer low-sodium broth
- yellow onion
- heavy cream
- cayenne pepper – the recipe calls for just 1/8 of a tsp, but if you like it spicy, you can add more
- curry powder – for deep and rich flavor
- olive oil
This quick pumpkin curry is low in carbs making it perfect for those of you who follow Keto or Low Carb diet.
Unlike many pumpkin curry recipes, my version is made without coconut milk. But if you have one in your pantry, feel free to use it instead of a heavy cream. Just make sure to use full fat coconut milk.
How to make Chicken Pumpkin Curry
1. Sear chicken
Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet heat and on a medium heat. Add chicken, cut into bite-size pieces and cook for 3-4 minutes on each size. Transfer to a plate.
2.Sauté onion and garlic
Wipe the skillet with a paper towel, return to a heat and add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil. Add 1/2 medium finely minced onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent. Stir in 5 cloves of minced garlic and cook for one more minute.
3. Make pumpkin sauce
Stir in 1/2 can pumpkin puree, 2 tbsp tomato sauce, heavy cream, chicken broth, Curry powder, Cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring the sauce to a low simmer.
4. Add chicken to a sauce
Add chicken to a pumpkin sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve immediately with rice or pasta and/or steamed veggies.
You’ll also like these recipes with canned pumpkin
Pumpkin Chicken Curry
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet heat and on a medium heat. Add chicken, cut into bite-size pieces and cook for 3-4 minutes on each size. Transfer to a plate.
Saute onion and garlic
- Wipe the skillet with a paper towel, return to a heat and add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes or until translucent. Stir in garlic and cook for one more minute.
Make pumpkin sauce
- Stir in pumpkin puree, tomato sauce, heavy cream, chicken broth, Curry powder, Cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring the sauce to a low simmer.* (See Note 1)
Add chicken to a sauce
- Add chicken to a pumpkin sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately over rice or pasta.
--- Nutritional Information Should Be Considered An Estimate ---