Thank you Village Harvest for sponsoring this post. Every day Village Harvest is planting seeds of change and growing possibilities, one bag of goodness at a time.
Nordic Superfood Salad (So Easy And Good)
Hello my friends! How is your week going so far?
If you’ve been following along, you probably noticed that lately I’ve been sharing a lot of healthier recipes. One reason for healthier recipes is because they are much more in demand during the summer months.
Another reason is that, me and my family also try to eat healthier. Summer is in full swing and I just don’t feel like cooking heavy recipes. After all, summer is all about spending more time outside and enjoying beautiful weather rather than staying in the kitchen and cooking for hours. If we’re not grilling meat, we consume a lot of salads.
Today, I want to share with you a delicious summer recipe, that is healthy, colourful and makes a satisfying lunch or dinner. My vegetarian Nordic Superfood Salad has everything needed for a filling meal! It’s a burst of nutrients on a plate!
When cooking vegetarian recipes, it can be a daunting task to prepare a meal that has enough nutrients to keep your body healthy and satisfy hunger. Lately, my favorite way to incorporate maximum healthy benefits into a recipe is to use super grains. My recent discovery – Village Harvest Organic Gluten-Free Benefit Blends. Their campaign slogan is “Something Better Starts Here”.
And indeed, Village Harvest Organic products are more than just rice, they are about discovering new possibilities at home in the kitchen, or thousands of miles away in the fields.
Village Harvest Organic have 3 different varieties Organic Antioxidant Blend, Organic Ancient Grain Blend and Organic Protein Blend. All of these blends offer a distinctive combination of healthful goodness. I encourage you try all 3 of these blends and let me know which one is your favorite?
In my Nordic Superfood Salad I used Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grain Blend. It contains Millet, White Quinoa, Red Quinoa And Buckwheat. Serving size of this benefit blend has 6 grams of protein which is pretty good, right?
As you’ve probably guessed, my Nordic Superfood Salad is packed with healthy grains. Taking a step further, I couldn’t pass by a chance to slip in some crunchy nuts and colourful veggies. This summer, I love using cabbage in a variety of my recipes. It adds a nice pop of colour and additional healthy benefits.
My Nordic Superfood Salad is very easy to prepare. Start off with cooking your Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grain Blend. In a small saucepan bring to a boil 1 cup of water and over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grain Blend, reduce to simmer and cook until grains are cooked through or until water is absorbed.
Next, slice up the apple, dice the celery, shred the cabbage and cut lettuce into 1-inch long strips.
Make the dressing. In a medium bowl whisk together whole grain mustard, honey, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Dressing is ready.
Now, all you have to do is arrange all ingredients on a serving plate, pour the dressing over the salad, toss and enjoy a delicious and healthy punch of this Nordic Superfood Salad.
I hope I have inspired you to try this delicious and healthy Nordic Superfood Salad.
- ½ cup Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grain Blend
- 2 cup packed green lettuce, cut into 1-inch long strips
- 2 cups packed red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 apple, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven 350 F.
- In a small pot bring to a boil 1 cup of water and over medium heat. Add ½ cup of Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grain Blend, reduce to simmer and cook until grains are cooked through or until water is absorbed. Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, place walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes until slightly browned. Remove from the oven, cool and give walnuts a rough chop.
- In a medium bowl whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until thick sauce forms.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cooked Village Harvest Organic Ancient Grain Blend, lettuce, cabbage, apple, celery and walnuts. Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Serve immediately!
I’d love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on:
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.