This Easy Cod Piccata in a creamy Picatta sauce makes a quick 30-minute dinner recipe your family will love. Creamy, a bit briny and so so good!
Cod Piccata Recipe
My relationship with capers began as soon as I tried them for the first time. Briny, salty, juicy, a bit resembling pickled cucumbers but with quite different taste. Along with anchovies and olives, capers are one of those ingredients that I’m willing to put in almost any recipe.
Today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite ways to use capers, actually lots of them.
…Famous Piccata Sauce. It has been invented in Italy and traditionally served with the veal. However nowadays, an increasing popularity gained Chicken Piccata which is absolutely delicious and my personal favorite.
Piccata sauce is usually made with chicken broth, lemon juice and capers. For an extra creaminess you can add some cream, but even without it, the sauce is self-sufficient.
Cod Piccata is one of those recipes that can be put together in under 30 minutes which makes it perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
Some time ago I’ve already shared with you one another quick Cod recipe – 15-Minute Seared Cod In Tomato-Caper Sauce. Ridiculously easy with just 5 ingredients required.
For today’s recipe I chose Cod instead of a more traditional salmon. I love cooking with Cod and always looking for new ways to prepare it.
There’s only one thing about Cod fish…
…Unfortunately it doesn’t have much flavor. This makes it an ideal candidate for different recipe experiments. And Cod Piccata is one of those recipes that really make Cod shine.
Delicious Piccata sauce compliment the mild taste of the fish and infuse it with lots of flavor. Super yummy!
How to Prepare Cod Fillet
Cod is usually sold in individually portioned packets or in one big piece. If you buy the second version, just cut it to desired size pieces and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
Now, I used flour and Parmesan for dredging. You can skip Parmesan if you want. Otherwise, dip Cod fillet into a flour-Parmesan mixture and cook in a preheated and oiled pan for 4-5 minutes on each side or until brown.
At this point your fish is ready and all you have to do is quickly make the sauce, place fish in a sauce and serve.
What to Serve with Cod
I love having Cod Piccata with mashed potatoes, rice or pasta. Simple side salad like my Beet Salad with Goat Cheese will also be a good choice.
- 1⅕ pound cod fillet
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ¼ cup capers
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt, pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Cut cod fillet to desired size pieces and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a medium shallow bowl combine flour and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip cod fillets into a flour-cheese mixture and shake off any excess flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet and over medium heat.
- Place fillets in a skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Transfer cooked fillets to a plate.
- In the same pan melt butter on a medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add heavy cream and chicken broth and wait until bubbles.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together corn starch and 1 tablespoon of Piccata sauce.
- Add the corn starch mixture to the pan with the sauce and whisk until thickened.
- Add lemon juice, capers, season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, simmer for another minute and remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle Cod Piccata with fresh parsley and serve over pasta, mashed potatoes or rice.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to snap a picture and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons. I’d love to see your creations.
I’d love to connect with you on social media. Follow me on: