If you ever wanted to make chocolate eclairs, but hesitated, start with this recipe of Mini Chocolate Eclairs. They are easier and faster to make that traditional eclairs and taste absolutely scrumptious. Although the recipe makes a huge batch of mini eclairs, be warned – they will be gone before you know it.:)
Mini Chocolate Eclairs (Easy Recipe)
Eclairs fanatic here! All jokes aside, but I honestly can’t think of a dessert that I’m willing to eat whenever and wherever other than eclairs. There’s something about that soft pastry filled with melt-in-your mouth custard cream that makes you keep eating eclairs until you just can’t eat anymore.
My love for eclairs has probably started in my childhood when they were a rare but so desirable treat.
When I started my food blog, Chocolate Eclair Recipe was one of the first recipes that I made. Shortly after I published the recipe, it went viral. People can’t get enough of eclairs. They are that good!
Just like many French recipes, Eclairs are not too difficult to make if you follow my exact directions. The shells itself are the easiest part. Custard cream, on the other hand requires you a few more dirty pans and a bit of patience.
If you don’t feel like going after traditional version, no big deal.
Recently I made Mini Chocolate Eclairs. I used Mascarpone cream in place of the custard cream and this allowed me to finish the whole process even faster than usually.
Valentine’s Day is coming up. Do you want to surprise your loved ones with a scrumptious dessert?
Hint –> Mini Chocolate Eclairs. They are perfect for the occasions like this. So creamy and fancy looking. Who can resist such treat?;)
I hope you will like my easy version of the traditional French eclairs. And if you make them, make sure to snap a photo and post it on Instagram with a hashtag #lavenderandmacarons.
- 250 ml water (1 cup + 2 teaspoons)
- 70 grams butter (5/8 cup or 5 tablespoons)
- 150 grams minus 1 tablespoon flour (1 cup minus 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 4 ounces heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces milk chocolate
- 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Combine water with salt, bring to a boil, add butter and bring to a boil one more time.
- Combine flour and cocoa powder and add this mixture to the pot.
- Whisk vigorously until no lumps remain.
- Reduce the heat to minimal and keep whisking until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
- Off the heat and adding one egg at a time, keep whisking the mixture until all eggs are fully incorporated and the batter is of the smooth consistency without lumps.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a serrated decorating tip (I used #869), pipe fat lengths of dough (about 3 inches long) onto the lined baking sheet, leaving 1 inch of space between them. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 340 F and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Important: - Don't open the oven while baking.
- Remove from the oven and cool the eclairs on the wire rack. When slightly cooled, cut them in half lengthwise.
- In a medium bowl beat heavy whipping cream, mascarpone, sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks.
- Using a flower decorating tip (I used 1M Wilton tip), pipe the mascarpone cream on the eclair bottoms.
- In a medium bowl combine milk chocolate and heavy whipping cream and microwave in 30 seconds intervals until chocolate has melted. Stir.
- Dip the tops of mini eclairs into chocolate glaze and gently place the tops on each eclair.
- Serve immediately!