I have to admit, up until I moved to the US, I rarely cooked with pumpkin. The only dish that I made with a pumpkin as a main ingredient was pumpkin porridge with rice. It is very popular in Ukraine where I am from.
But since in the US, with the arrival of fall, pumpkin becomes almost the main ingredient for all dishes, I decided to broaden my recipe arsenal and try something new using this delicious and healthy vegetable.
So right before our weekend trip to Whole Foods, I quickly scrolled through the Internet to find a good recipe with pumpkin to try on. I was lucky to find one right away. And with just a few simple tweaks the recipe got transformed into a delicious and beautiful Easy Pumpkin Roll Recipe.
What’s great about this easy pumpkin roll recipe is that it doesn’t require many ingredients. The main things that you’d probably need to stock up on are canned pumpkin puree, cream cheese and pecans. The rest of the ingredients you most likely to have in your pantry, especially if you like baking.
One of the major things that I changed was the amount of sugar added into a dough and a filling. The original recipe called for lots of it. But I reduced the amount almost in half and the taste of my dessert come out really nice when I could actually feel other ingredients, not just a sugar.
So, are you ready for my Easy Pumpkin Roll Recipe? Then get your pen and start writing.
I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe as much my family did.
What is your favorite way to incorporate pumpkin into desserts?
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raw pecans, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar + more for sprinkling
- 6 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature + more for greasing the pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and finely smear the jellyroll pan with a butter and sprinkle with some flour.
- In a medium bowl, using a mixer, combine pumpkin, eggs, granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until well combined. Evenly spread the mixture into a jellyroll pan, making sure it is of the same width on all sides.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans and bake for about 14 minutes or until the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a large cutting board or wire rack. Take a large kitchen towel or wide piece of bounty paper and sprinkle it with confectioners' sugar. Carefully transfer the pie onto a towel or paper and start rolling the cake up in the towel. Fold the sides of the towel over the cake and place it in a fridge for about 45 min.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, vanilla extract and ¼ cup of confectioners' sugar. Mix well.
- Carefully unroll the cake and evenly spread the mixture onto it.
- Very gently, reroll the cake and place it into a fringe until ready to it.