After spending some time on the Internet, trying to find some easy and delicious appetizers for the upcoming holidays, I kept bumping into one appetizer, that I've used to make a couple of years ago. Cucumber cups, are perhaps, one of the easiest party foods you could ever imagine.
Given that, regular party menu does not always consist of healthy food choices, it's nice to have a couple of appetizers that are actually good for you and taste delectable.
Fresh cucumber gives a nice little crisp and a Greek style filling, adds vibrant colors and a bountiful of flavors. What's not to love?:)
For this particular recipe, I've chosen a sheep's milk Feta cheese that I bought at Costco. It has slightly more salt, than a regular crumbled Feta cheese that I buy at Whole Foods. For this reason, I haven't added salt or any other spices to my filling.
The first time I made cucumber cups, I used avocado filling. It was pretty good and those appetizers went quick. This time, I decided to change a recipe and went for a traditional Mediterranean filling. By using the vegetables with different textures and tastes, you create the appetizer that your guests are going to love.
These cucumber cups are absolutely scrumptious. It's a party in your mouth.
- 2 English cucumbers
- ¼ cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes finely chopped
- ¼ cup Feta cheese cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup black Kalamata olives pitted and quartered
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Ground Black Pepper
- Peel the cucumbers, leaving thin strips of skins through the whole length.
- Slice cucumbers into 1 inch thick pieces. Using a small spoon, scoop out the flesh of each piece, leaving the bottom of the cucumber intact. Try to scoop out as much as you can.
- In a small bowl, combine bell pepper, tomatoes, olives, Feta cheese, shallot and lemon juice. Season with freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Give this a quick toss to bring everything together.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of a filling into a cucumber cup. Continue with the remaining cucumber slices.
- Garnish with minced parsley and serve.
If you want more healthy recipes with Feta cheese, check out my Quinoa Patties Recipe. It's a nice and healthy lunch or dinner option for the whole family.