Simple but so delicious vegan Heirloom Tomato Salad made with fresh heirloom tomatoes and addictive crunchy topping! Super easy and healthy summer side dish that goes with everything! You'll be hooked!
There are so many tomato salads recipes out there, but hear me out.
When you combine "meaty" Heirloom tomatoes with crunchy garlicky topping and dress it in a simple Olive oil-Balsamic dressing, the salad is destined to be devoured fast.
My Heirloom Tomato Salad is a twist on a regular tomato salad. It's made with just 7 ingredients and comes together in no time. My family adores it and I'm confident it'll become your favorite too.
Heirloom Tomatoes are available in stores all year round. But since we started growing them in our garden, in summer we have an abundance of fresh and juicy tomatoes that are literally falling off the branch.
Despite that we used to grow tomatoes in Ukraine, I never appreciated them more than I do now.
In grocery stores, Heirloom tomatoes are quite expensive. Plus, we eat tomato salads every day, so stocking up on heirlooms would cost a lot.
Luckily, in summer heirloom tomatoes are not scarce so I've been making tons of delicious recipes with them.
My new favorite Heirloom Tomato Soup is a must for when you have lots of tomatoes and don't know what to do with them.
Why This Recipe Works
One thing that sets this summer tomato salad apart from others is a crunchy topping.
The formula for it is very simple:
- Panko breadcrumbs
- olive oil
Nothing special, right? But it combination with soft tomatoes, this garlicky crunch really stands out.
It's just a tiny extra step of turning a simple tomato salad into "want to make it again" salad.
When you read the recipe, you'll notice that this vegan heirloom tomato salad doesn't require a dressing, but rather a simple drizzle of Olive oil and vinegar.
The reason for this is you want to mostly taste the tomatoes and a crunch. Oil and vinegar only act as a simple accompaniment to the already delicious salad.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
- tomatoes - obviously I used heirloom tomatoes for this vegan salad. However any medium to large tomatoes will work. Beefsteak or tomatoes on the vine would be my next choice
- breadcrumbs. I love and recommend using Japanese Panko breadcrumbs. You can buy them in any grocery store. They have a flakier consistency than Italian breadcrumbs and absorb less oil
2. Depending of the size of your tomatoes, cut them into 5 or 6 wedges and arrange on a serving plate. Don't forget to remove the core.
3. Thinly slice the red onion and scatter it over tomatoes. Season the salad with salt and pepper.
4. Top the tomato salad with the toasted breadcrumbs followed by a drizzle of 1 tablespoon of olive oil and vinegar. Scatter basil over the salad and serve immediately.
💭 Top tip
If you're buying tomatoes from the grocery store, smell them and pick those that are the most aromatic ones. This tip applies to all tomatoes in general. This will result in the most delicious and flavorful tomato salad ever.
To get the most out of your simple heirloom tomato salad, I recommend storing your tomatoes on a counter versus refrigerating them. That way your salad will be the most flavorful and delicious.
This Basil Tomato Salad is delicious as it is, but if you want to take it to another level, add in some sliced green olives or capers. These, in my opinion are the two ingredients that make any dish shine.
💬 Frequently Asked Questions
No, you don't need to seed the tomatoes. Seeds are edible and actually very healthy for you. They are high in Vitamin C which may boost your immune system.
Crispy garlicky topping can be prepared 2-3 days in advance and then stored in a refrigerator. I recommend cutting the tomatoes right before serving.
If you can afford organic tomatoes, then yes! They're less likely to contain traces of pesticides. If you buy conventional tomatoes, make sure to wash really well.
Yes, shallots will work here just fine.
🥗 Similar Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
If you're looking for a quick overview of the recipe, please check out my Heirloom Tomato web-story.
Crunchy Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet and over medium heat. Add garlic pushed through a garlic press and stir for 30 seconds. Add Panko breadcrumbs and toast stirring from time to time until they start turning brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer Panko to a bowl.
- Depending of the size of your tomatoes, cut them into 5 or 6 slices and arrange on a serving plate.
- Thinly slice the red onion and scatter it over tomatoes. Season the salad with salt and pepper.
- Top the tomato salad with the toasted breadcrumbs followed by a drizzle of 1 tablespoon of olive oil and vinegar. Scatter basil over the salad and serve immediately.