This creamy vegan pasta is satisfying, delicious, and incredibly easy to make! The creamy, rich coconut sauce perfectly coats the penne pasta, while the roasted chickpeas provide a pleasant crunch. The garlic and spinach add a layer of freshness, making every bite absolutely delicious!
This pasta dish is more than just a tasty treat. It is a hearty, wholesome meal that is simple to prepare at home. It’s a perfect choice for those who love dairy-free and gluten-free meals without compromising on taste or texture.
The uniqueness of this creamy vegan pasta recipe lies in its blend of ingredients and flavors. The crunch of roasted chickpeas, the creaminess of coconut milk, and the freshness of spinach leaves create a pasta dish that is far from ordinary.
- What is a Creamy Vegan Pasta?
- Why This Is The Best Creamy Vegan Pasta Recipe
- What You Need to Make Creamy Vegan Pasta At Home
- How to Make Creamy Vegan Pasta (Step-by-Step)
- Tips For Making the Best Creamy Vegan Pasta
- Serving Suggestions
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Creamy Vegan Pasta
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftovers
- More Easy Pasta Recipes
Read on to learn exactly how to make this delicious, creamy vegan pasta recipe today!
What is a Creamy Vegan Pasta?
Creamy vegan pasta is a delightful dish that combines the comfort of pasta with a rich and creamy sauce that is entirely plant-based.
This recipe relies on a blend of coconut milk and vegetable broth to create a creamy consistency, while roasted chickpeas add a delightful crunch. Tossed with cooked pasta and fresh spinach, this dish is a delightful fusion of flavors and textures.
Making this creamy vegan pasta at home is a great idea for a number of reasons. Not only is it a healthy and dairy-free alternative to traditional creamy pasta, but it is also a versatile dish that can be tailored to individual taste preferences.
The creamy sauce and roasted chickpeas combine to create a flavor profile that is both comforting and exciting. This pasta dish is sure to impress both vegans and non-vegans with its creamy texture, rich flavor, and satisfying crunch.
Why This Is The Best Creamy Vegan Pasta Recipe
Vegan and Delicious: Despite being dairy-free, this pasta is incredibly creamy and full of flavor, thanks to the coconut milk and olive oil. The addition of fresh spinach and roasted chickpeas also adds a delightful crunch to the dish.
Adaptable: This recipe is versatile. You can easily substitute the penne pasta with shell pasta (gluten-free or regular) or any pasta of your choice. You can also experiment with different vegetables or add protein like tofu or tempeh.
Crowd-pleaser: Whether you're hosting a dinner party or a casual get-together, this creamy vegan pasta is sure to please. It is a comforting and satisfying dish that's perfect for both vegans and non-vegans alike.
What You Need to Make Creamy Vegan Pasta At Home
All you need are some incredibly simple, pantry-staple ingredients to make this delicious, creamy vegan pasta recipe at home.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
Pasta: This is the star of the dish, providing a substantial and satisfying texture to your creamy vegan pasta. Any pasta of your choice can be used (eg. shells, penne, spaghetti), including gluten-free pasta if you prefer.
Chickpeas: These add a great source of protein and fiber to the dish, not to mention a delightful, slightly nutty flavor. They also add a nice texture and contrast to the cooked pasta.
Olive Oil: Used for sautéing the onions and garlic, olive oil imparts a rich, fruity flavor to the dish.
Onion: This vegetable adds a depth of flavor to the pasta sauce, providing a sweet and savory note.
Garlic: Garlic cloves give a pungent kick that infuses the pasta with a warm, aromatic flavor.
All-Purpose Flour: This ingredient helps to thicken the pasta sauce, giving it a lusciously creamy texture.
Coconut Milk: This dairy-free alternative brings a rich creaminess to the pasta sauce without the need for any dairy products. It also adds a subtle hint of sweetness.
Vegetable Broth: This adds a depth of flavor to the pasta sauce, enhancing the overall taste of the dish.
Spinach: This leafy green not only adds a pop of color to your pasta dish but also a host of nutritional benefits, including fiber and vitamins.
Salt: An essential seasoning that enhances all the other flavors in the dish.
Red Pepper Flakes: These add a dash of heat to the dish but can be adjusted according to your taste. They also add a splash of color, making the dish visually appealing.
Fresh Parsley: This is used as a garnish, adding a fresh, herbal note to the dish. It also enhances the presentation of the pasta.
How to Make Creamy Vegan Pasta (Step-by-Step)
This super-easy vegan pasta is absolutely delicious. Here's how to make it step by step:
- Prepare the chickpeas: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Take your drained and rinsed chickpeas and toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread them evenly on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes until they become crispy and golden brown. Once done, set them aside.
- Cook the Pasta: Prepare the pasta according to the package instructions until it reaches al dente. Once done, drain the cooked pasta and set it aside.
- Sauté onions and garlic: Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion turns translucent and the garlic emits a fragrant aroma. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Cook the flour: Sprinkle flour over the sautéed onion and garlic, and stir well to combine. Allow this to cook for another minute to eliminate the raw flour taste.
- Whisk in coconut milk and broth: Gradually whisk in the coconut milk and vegetable broth, making sure that there are no lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Add the cooked pasta: Next, add the cooked pasta to the skillet along with the roasted chickpeas. Stir to evenly coat the pasta and chickpeas with the creamy sauce. Allow this to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to heat everything through.
Stir in spinach and season: Stir in fresh spinach and allow it to cook for another minute until the spinach wilts. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Your delicious Creamy Vegan Pasta is ready to serve!
Tips For Making the Best Creamy Vegan Pasta
Roast the chickpeas: Giving your chickpeas a quick roast in the oven before adding them to your pasta dish will add a delightful crunch and enhance their flavor. Be sure to toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper before roasting to maximize their taste.
Choose a good quality pasta: The pasta is the star of any pasta recipe. Opt for a gluten-free pasta if you have dietary restrictions, or simply choose your favorite type. Remember, the better the quality of your pasta, the better your dish will turn out.
Gradually add your liquids: When making your creamy coconut milk and vegetable broth sauce, add the liquids gradually while whisking. This will prevent any lumps from forming and will guarantee a smooth, creamy sauce.
Add spinach last: Spinach cooks very quickly, so add it towards the end of your cooking time to prevent it from becoming too wilted or losing its vibrant green color.
Don't forget the garnish: A sprinkle of fresh parsley not only adds a pop of color but also a fresh flavor that compliments the creamy vegan pasta perfectly.
- This vegan pasta also makes a great packed lunch. Just put it in a lunch box with a small container of red pepper flakes and fresh basil for garnishing. Your lunch will be the envy of your colleagues. Pair it with chopped veggies or my delicious Broccoli And Mushroom Salad.
- For a gluten-free version of this dish, use gluten-free pasta instead of regular pasta. This way, you can enjoy the same delicious flavors without the gluten.
- Add a citrusy twist and squeeze some fresh lemon juice over your creamy vegan pasta before serving. The tangy lemon juice will cut through the richness of the pasta and add a refreshing flavor.
- For a dinner party, pair this creamy vegan pasta with a glass of your favorite white wine. The crisp, fruity notes of the wine would balance the rich, creamy flavors of the pasta dish.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Creamy Vegan Pasta
This delicious creamy vegan pasta recipe is so flavorful and easy to make, you'll want to try out some of these delicious variations! Here are some great ideas:
Make it Cheesy: For cheese lovers, try adding a generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese to the pasta sauce. It is a great dairy-free alternative that adds a cheesy flavor to your creamy vegan pasta.
Add More Garlic: If you're a garlic lover, intensify the flavor by adding two more minced garlic cloves to the onion mixture. This will give your vegan pasta a rich, aromatic garlic flavor that pairs perfectly with the creamy coconut milk sauce.
Go Gluten-Free: If you're gluten-intolerant, simply switch the regular pasta with a gluten-free pasta of your choice. There are many great gluten-free pasta options available these days, so you can still enjoy this delicious, creamy vegan pasta recipe.
Spice it Up with Red Pepper Flakes: For those who like a little heat, sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top of your pasta before serving. The heat from the red pepper flakes adds a nice contrast to the creamy coconut milk sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use any type of pasta you prefer. This recipe specifically uses penne pasta, but feel free to substitute it with your favorite pasta like shells or spaghetti. Gluten-free pasta also works well for those with dietary restrictions.
Yes, you can substitute coconut milk with other plant-based milk like almond milk or oat milk. However, coconut milk provides a rich, creamy texture that enhances the flavor of the pasta dish.
If you're not a fan of chickpeas, you can replace them with other protein-rich ingredients like tofu, lentils, or even a mix of different veggies. Remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
You can easily make this creamy vegan pasta gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta and replacing the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free alternative like cornstarch or gluten-free flour.
Absolutely! This pasta recipe is quite versatile. You can add other vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, or tomatoes. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly to guarantee that all ingredients are well-cooked.
Yes, if you prefer a spicier dish, you can add more red pepper flakes to taste. You could also add a bit of hot sauce for an extra kick.
How to Store Leftovers
Storing leftovers of your favorite creamy vegan pasta recipe is a breeze! With a few simple steps, you can enjoy your pasta dish for several days after cooking.
Storage. Allow your cooked pasta to cool completely before storing. This will prevent moisture buildup, which could lead to mold growth. Transfer your pasta into airtight containers and store it in the refrigerator. It should last for around three to five days.
Reheating. To reheat your creamy vegan pasta, place it in a pot or pan over medium-low heat. Stir it occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. You can add a splash of coconut milk or vegetable broth to maintain the creamy consistency if needed. Heat it until it’s warmed all the way through.
Freezing. I don’t recommend freezing this creamy pasta because the sauce will separate when frozen and thawed, altering the texture of your dish.
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
Easy Creamy Vegan Pasta (Delicious + Versatile!)
- 8 ounces penne pasta or other pasta of your choice
- 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Salt to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste (for garnish)
- Fresh parsley chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss the drained and rinsed chickpeas with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread them out on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
- While chickpeas are roasting, cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic is fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and garlic, and stir well to combine. Cook for another minute to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Gradually whisk in the coconut milk and vegetable broth, making sure there are no lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet along with the roasted chickpeas. Stir to coat the pasta and chickpeas evenly with the creamy sauce. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to heat everything through.
- Stir in the fresh spinach and cook for another minute until the spinach wilts.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
- Serve the vegan creamy pasta with roasted chickpeas while hot.