Five heart-warming ingredients come together in this Creamy Oatmeal With Caramelized Apples. Add a little Maple syrup and cacao powder and you'll have the best warm porridge, perfect for cozy breakfast. This simple recipe is vegan, sugar-free and and absolutely yummy.
Also, try my 3-minute Oatmeal Without Milk.
Creamy Oatmeal has been my #1 breakfast recipe for years.
Despite that there are so many other delicious options for breakfast, you just can't beat the convenience that comes with making the oats.
They're quick, healthy and the toppings are endless.
Although, most creamy oatmeal recipes are made with milk, never underestimate what you can do without milk.
In fact, I found that using milk makes the oatmeal slightly gummier versus that water-based oatmeal lends a creamy-dreamy texture of the oats.
Before we get started, there are a few ways on how to make a super creamy oatmeal.
You can either prepare it with water or almond milk.
There are also 2 different cooking methods. Creamy oatmeal can be made on the stove or in a microwave.
I'm going to show all these options as well as discuss tips and tricks for making the best creamy oatmeal ever.
Here's Why This Recipe Works
- quick and easy. Ready in minutes, this creamy oatmeal is an effortless breakfast porridge option for busy mornings;
- healthy. Did you know that oats are loaded with the nutrients? Just ½ cup of dry oats contains 191% of your recommended daily intake of Manganese and 41% of Phosphorus. In addition, oats are a great source of protein and soluble fiber;
- versatile. This is why I love making creamy oatmeal for breakfast. It acts as a base for different toppings like healthy caramelized apples, PB, jam, fresh or frozen fruit and so much more.
If you're really in a hurry and need breakfast fast, check out my 3-minute oatmeal. It's made without milk and as delicious and healthy as this healthy caramelized apple oatmeal.
However, if you have an extra 10 minutes, give yourself a favor and prepare this super creamy oatmeal with caramelized apple.
It's simple, yet fancy (thank you healthy caramelized apples). It's flavorful and absolutely delicious.
Here's an overview of the specific ingredients for this recipe. For the exact ingredients and measurements, please scroll to the recipe card below.
This easy oil-free creamy oatmeal recipe uses just 5 ingredients. I'm sure you have them in your pantry.
- oats - I recommend using old-fashioned or rolled oats. Use GF if you need to;
- apple - Granny Smith green apple works really well for the caramelized apples. It's slightly tart which balances out the sweetness of Maple syrup. If you don't have Granny Smith apples, Gala or Daisy will work here too;
- Maple syrup - I use it as a sweetener. You can replace it with Agave nectar;
- cacao powder - I'm a big fan of adding cacao powder to the creamy oatmeal. I also recommend choosing cacao powder instead of cocoa powder. The latter is more processed and has less antioxidants than cacao powder
- cinnamon - for flavor. You can also add a dash of nutmeg
- water. This caramelized apple oatmeal recipe is made with water and without milk. As I explained above, oatmeal prepared with water will give you the extra creamy oatmeal. If you want to make it with plant-based milk, your oats will be creamy but also slightly gluey and sticky. Of course, it won't alter the taste of the porridge, it will still be tasty.
For a stovetop version of a vegan caramelized apple oatmeal you only need a small saucepan or pot and a skillet. If you want to make it in a microwave, then you'll need a microwave-safe bowl and a skillet.
For the microwave instructions of a creamy oatmeal scroll down below.
- Make the creamy oatmeal
Add oats and water (or plant-based milk if that's what you use) to a small pan and put it over medium heat. Simmer the oatmeal stirring from time to time until the oats absorb all liquid and is thick but creamy at the same time, about 7-10 minutes.
- Prepare the caramelized apple
Quarter the green apple, core and dice it. Add apple to a small skillet and cook stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. It will begin to soften. Add ground cinnamon, half of the Maple syrup and stir until the syrup coats the apple evenly and it looks caramelized. Cook for another 2 minutes and remove the skillet from the heat.
Add creamy oatmeal to a serving bowl, top with the healthy caramelized apples and sprinkle with the cacao powder. Drizzle with the remaining of the Maple syrup and serve.
This is a basic creamy oatmeal recipe. It's delicious with the caramelized apples. However, you can take it up a notch and add the following toppings depending on what you have in your pantry:
- nuts - Walnuts or Pecans or toasted Pine Nuts are all great choices;
- seeds - add a few teaspoons of chia seeds or flax seeds. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds are great choices as well;
- frozen blueberries, strawberries or cherries, that I recommend defrosting for 30-40 seconds before serving
- shredded coconut
- chocolate chips
- raisins or other dried fruit
- a generous spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter
- plant-based yogurt
- Water. This vegan creamy oatmeal can be made with plant-based milk. Almond milk and oat milk would be my primary choices. Cashew and coconut milk can also be used. Keep in mind though, if you decide to use coconut milk, your Maple apple oatmeal will have a slight coconut-y flavor;
- Fruit. If you don't have green apples, any fruit will work here. This breakfast porridge will be delicious with caramelized pears, peaches, pineapples or bananas;
Frequently Asked Questions
It's easier than you think. Combine the oats and water (or almond milk) in the microwave-safe bowl. Set power on high for 1 ½ minutes. At this point, the oats should be nice and thick. If you wish to make it extra creamy, add 20-30 more seconds to a cooking time.
No. Cook the ingredients together from the start.
Salt is believed to enhance the flavor of the oatmeal. I don't usually add it. However, if you want to add salt, ⅛ of a teaspoon is enough.
Refrigerate the Creamy oatmeal in the airtight container. Properly stored it will keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Caramelized Apples should also be stored in the airtight container in a fridge where they will last for up to 5 days.
Reheat the vegan oatmeal and the Maple apples in a microwave for 40 to 50 seconds. If the oatmeal is too thick to your liking, you can add a few tablespoons of water or plant-based milk, stir and then microwave it.
🍏 Similar Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below and rate it. I always appreciate the feedback. Also, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest.
Creamy Caramelized Apples Oatmeal
For the creamy oatmeal
- 4 tablespoon old-fashioned rolled oats rolled oats can also be used
- 1 c water
Make the creamy oatmeal
- Add oats and water (or plant-based milk if that's what you use) to a small pan and put it over medium heat. Simmer the oatmeal stirring from time to time until it absorbs all liquid and is thick but creamy at the same time, about 7-10 minutes.
Prepare the caramelized apple
- Quarter the apple, core and dice it. Add apple to a small skillet and cook stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. It will begin to soften. Add ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of Maple syrup and stir until the syrup coats the apple evenly. Cook for another 2 minutes and remove pan skillet from the heat.
Serve the caramelized apple oatmeal
- Add creamy oatmeal to a serving bowl, top with the caramelized apple and sprinkle with the cacao powder. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of Maple syrup and serve.